Ugh! I hope I don't regret this

drahthaar

This was taken right over my daughter's shoulder.

The goal of this spring bear season is to get Cazz in on a good hunt where I take a bear. She was very upset last year when Cope got in on one and she didn't, and we have talked about it all year. Tonight, we rode bikes into a good spot that I tend to see some bears. And it's no easy ride for 7 yr old. Lots of obstacles.

We get to the end of the road, take off our packs and are just talking a bit about bears and hunting. We were not there but 3 or 4 minutes, when I look over and see a bear heading into a creek draw. Off we go! making a good stalk. I look back, Cazz is not happy. This is her first stalk on a bear and it is making her nervous. She says she is scared it's gonna get her. I stop the whole thing and explain, first, bears are scared of people(for the most part), and second, as long as I have a gun in my hands, it won't get her. She says she understands, and off we go again. Trying to make it to a big boulder to hide behind and wait for the bear to come out of the draw.

We made it to the boulder, and still no sign of the bear. Seconds turn to minutes, and finally! Here he comes. Right at us. He came out of the draw within 25 yards of our position. I keep wavering on its size, maturity. I finally decide to let it walk. Cazz was adamant, the whole time, just shoot it! I am thinking to myself, "Blood thirsty little bugger aren't you."

When it was all said and done, I said, Cazz I hope I don't regret letting it walk. She said, with assurance, "Dad, I don't regret you."

I did manage to "count coup" on it and got a couple pics. This was our view of him from the boulder.

So on with the season! Spring bear season is by far my favorite. I seriously hope I don't regret letting that one go.

Absolutely no regrets to be had. That is a great day with one of the world's most important people. Gonna be hard to improve on a trip like that.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Best way to ruin a bear hunt is to kill one of the stinky buggers.

Awesome pictures, I'm sure that'll stick in Cazz's memory bank for a long time.

Now you have a reason to take another trip with a great little hunting partner. Great job Dad!

What an adventure! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

+1 for Gerald Martin's comment. Hide that one in your heart.

The heritage of a huntress.
Outstanding!

these type of threads are my favorite by far! and this one may have taken the cake.

Discipline trumping gratification...well done dad. An important gig of positive info stored. I'm with Sytes in these types of threads...love em.

A-1 there D.

Few kids have been that close to a deer. Way to give her first hand experience being a conservationist. Just wait. The topic of that bear will come up in the future when you least expect it and might take you by surprise.

Very cool that you can do that with your daughter. Envious here.

Back