Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

U.S. says it will cut costs for clean energy projects on public lands

That is not how the carbon credit market works. It is set up to incentivize companies to become more efficient over time regrading carbon emissions. Often time just reducing usage. It has shown to be very effective at that.
Manditory cap and trade is how the California carbon credit market works. There are other carbon credit schemes out there is well. High Country news doesn't even think its legit. 😉

https://www.hcn.org/articles/forest...fset-program-actually-helping-the-environment

Is it primarily for crop land or rangeland?
I think adding carbon to any soil would be beneficial. the only thing with biochar is if you use it raw or not enriched then the biochar would initially pull available from the top soil nutrients into it. If it's mixed with manure first it will help the soil retain the nutrients a lot longer.

I think adding carbon to any soil would be beneficial. the only thing with biochar is if you use it raw or not enriched then the biochar would initially pull available from the top soil nutrients into it. If it's mixed with manure first it will help the soil retain the nutrients a lot longer.
So it’s added topically? Which probably makes it impractical for a lot of western range lands?

Here's a write up on the pros and cons of biochar, what it is and what it does.

By itself, it has no nutrient value. It actually acts like a sponge soaking up available nutrients in the soil, so it needs to be nutrient charged before applying it, otherwise you will reduce your yields initially.

At $500 to $2000 a ton, it is not economical to apply it to field crops or range pasture. Vineyards, orchards, and strawberries are the most common commercial produce applications.

Manditory cap and trade is how the California carbon credit market works. There are other carbon credit schemes out there is well. High Country news doesn't even think its legit. 😉

https://www.hcn.org/articles/forest...fset-program-actually-helping-the-environment
Yes, I agree. So what? It is mandatory for the largest carbon emitters and set up the same as the Quebec system. You have to put a value on carbon if you want to reduce it. Companies are not going to do it voluntarily. Cap and trade is used globally - Europe, China, etc. If you have a better idea than a market-based system I am willing to listen.

The article simply points out how the system for selling credits can be gamed. It is a flaw in how credits for "conserving" are allocated. I made the case that a lot of ranchers in the west would benefit if there was change in this calculation. Maybe they could make a little cash selling carbon credit rather than bull tags.

@PrairieHunter biochar/biomass wasn't really on my radar (my college did get most of it's power from an on campus plant) before you brought it up, so in my mind you're the expert.

Do you think the biomass is a bit of a region/environment specific energy source, a bit like solar and wind? I would guess from your previous comments that it's awesome in say Vermont, or the NW... possibly dog hair forests of CO, but it's probably not a great thing for like Iowa?

I'm thinking mainly of the fuel transport constraints, I mean all things considered that's why NG trounces coal, it's a lot easier to pipe gas than train it (mostly).

@PrairieHunter biochar/biomass wasn't really on my radar (my college did get most of it's power from an on campus plant) before you brought it up, so in my mind you're the expert.

Do you think the biomass is a bit of a region/environment specific energy source, a bit like solar and wind? I would guess from your previous comments that it's awesome in say Vermont, or the NW... possibly dog hair forests of CO, but it's probably not a great thing for like Iowa?

I'm thinking mainly of the fuel transport constraints, I mean all things considered that's why NG trounces coal, it's a lot easier to pipe gas than train it (mostly).
You can heat your house with corn, same as wood pellets, and people in Iowa have done it when corn prices were low and fuel prices were high. Corn stocks are biomass too, carbon and hydrogen.

You can heat your house with corn, same as wood pellets, and people in Iowa have done it when corn prices were low and fuel prices were high. Corn stocks are biomass too, carbon and hydrogen.
I’m sure you can. But, how does it shake out in terms of net carbons? You’re still investing fossil fuels to plant, grow and harvest it.

No different than ethanol. You can burn it in an ICE, but it’s less efficient in term of net carbons than simply burning gasoline.

I’m sure you can. But, how does it shake out in terms of net carbons? You’re still investing fossil fuels to plant, grow and harvest it.

No different than ethanol. You can burn it in an ICE, but it’s less efficient in term of net carbons than simply burning gasoline.
Biomass seems like one of those things that probably works great up to a certain scale and in certain environments, all sources to some extent, but it's definitely heavily constrained.

According to the google, it's like 9% of total electricity generation but uses 50% of the countries total lumber production. So likely it's plateaued and won't grow significantly.

I don't think that growing corn to burn in cars makes a lot of sense, but a lot of things we do make little sense.

How many carbon credits do I have to buy if buy a Jake Clark mule?

Did you go to Chadron St? I lived there for a short while and they process about 10k tons at the college. I am no expert but I am in a DOE energy technology accelerator and get to see some really neat things coming down the pipeline. Hydrogen was not on my radar and now it seems like huge investment is going into Hydrogen. I am no expert but I can see what is going on in europe and see that we are on the same path. All you have to do is follow the $.

To be honest it seems like every time I turn around I run across another source of wood waste. Certainly in places with vast public/private land forest there are sources of wood waste. Even in the small national forest around Chadron they figured there was 100k tons per year of wood available, and about 10k got used. In Eastern Nebraska it's the invasive cedars being removed, EAB removals in cities like Lincoln, ice storms, and the usual urban wood waste makes for a lot of material. On top of that you have agricultural waste that is being burned. Another I know of are urban wood waste and ground pallets being burned in gasifiers for ethanol production. I know when I lived in Tulsa when a big Ice storm came through there were hundreds of thousands of tons of urban wood waste generated. Sawmills in places like Ohio generate insane amounts of wood waste. Utah has invasive junipers they are trying to find a use for. The Black hills has a lot of wood that is not utilized as well. When you start looking around you realize there is a lot of wood waste in this country. But I do agree there are some places that simply do not have it.

So is biochar applied topically to the soil? Is it primarily for crop land or rangeland? Can softwoods be grown fast enough to make it a major player in energy?
It depends. In can be added to seed mixes, blended with manure, tilled in, surface applied, using animal hoof action to incorporate, etc.. We use it primarily as a feed additive for livestock. Others are using it as filter media for removing contamination from water, replacement for activated carbon, adding to concrete, adding to drywall, steel production, adding to plastics, turning it into graphene, blended with manure and pelletized, applied as a liquid in fertilizer/irrigation, injected in the ground around trees, in waddles to stop algae blooms, etc..

It's typically used in higher value crops, hemp and cannabis specifically. The last workshop I attended as a small organic farm in Steamboat.

Yes, it's mind boggling how much wood is exported, much of it softwood from the Southeast that has been pelletized. Right now there is a huge shortage of wood pellets due to the Russia situation, which may help us pellet manufacturers who had a horrible year due to a warm winter.

North American wood pellet exports hit a record high in 2021, boosted by demand from Asia and the Netherlands.

Combined US and Canadian wood pellets exports firmed to 10.7mn t from 10.1mn in the previous year. And North American exports rose by 100,000t on the year to 2.7mn t in the fourth quarter of 2021.

Overall exports from each country also increased on the year in 2021, with US exports rising by 266,000t to 7.52mn t and Canadian shipments by 297,000 to 3.14mn t.

That is not how the carbon credit market works. It is set up to incentivize companies to become more efficient over time regrading carbon emissions. Often time just reducing usage. It has shown to be very effective at that.
It's mind boggling how many people think the voluntary carbon credit market is run by the government when in reality the government has little to do with it. When Nasdaq bought Puro.earth I realized how big the carbon credit market was going to be.

How big is the carbon credit market?

LONDON, Jan 31 (Reuters) - The value of traded global markets for carbon dioxide (CO2) permits grew by 164% to a record 760 billion euros ($851 billion) last year, analysts at Refinitiv said on Monday.Jan 31, 2022

Did you go to Chadron St? I lived there for a short while and they process about 10k tons at the college. I am no expert but I am in a DOE energy technology accelerator and get to see some really neat things coming down the pipeline. Hydrogen was not on my radar and now it seems like huge investment is going into Hydrogen. I am no expert but I can see what is going on in europe and see that we are on the same path. All you have to do is follow the $.

To be honest it seems like every time I turn around I run across another source of wood waste. Certainly in places with vast public/private land forest there are sources of wood waste. Even in the small national forest around Chadron they figured there was 100k tons per year of wood available, and about 10k got used. In Eastern Nebraska it's the invasive cedars being removed, EAB removals in cities like Lincoln, ice storms, and the usual urban wood waste makes for a lot of material. On top of that you have agricultural waste that is being burned. Another I know of are urban wood waste and ground pallets being burned in gasifiers for ethanol production. I know when I lived in Tulsa when a big Ice storm came through there were hundreds of thousands of tons of urban wood waste generated. Sawmills in places like Ohio generate insane amounts of wood waste. Utah has invasive junipers they are trying to find a use for. The Black hills has a lot of wood that is not utilized as well. When you start looking around you realize there is a lot of wood waste in this country. But I do agree there are some places that simply do not have it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back