Type 2 Fun

Carl

I had some fun this weekend!

It started out on an innocent Friday, with a pleasant walk through the A-B:

10.JPG

Everything was very nice, and then for some crazy reason I decided to diverge from the trail, what was I thinking! In hindsight, trails are nicer for walking than not trails, I would stick to the trails if I was you.

Anyways, after walking not on the trail for a while, I saw this small creature:

12.JPG

Miller tells me it's a long tailed weasel, which sounded to me like a Rancid Crabtree name if I've ever heard one. I didn't mention this to him though, because I am polite and have good manners.

From the spot with the weasel not on the trail, I saw a couple mountain goats, which I had a tag for! They were even further not on the trail! I started walking towards them anyways, because I am not smart. I got to the base of the mountain the goats were on, and I saw this goat at the bottom instead of the top:

14.JPG

He was a billy goat for sure, but I didn't shoot him, because he was at the bottom and it would have been smart to do so, and I am not smart. So instead I walked to the top of the ridge to look for a goat there, cause I had seen one earlier and I heard the goats at the top of the mountain are better, because they are at the top. This is not true, but I didn't know that so I kept walking.

I got to the top, and I could see a lot of country and a lot of goats, but not the goats I had seen when I started up the mountain. Rats!

15.JPG

It was getting dark, so I picked the levelest spot I could find and laid down under the delusion I could sleep there. Just cause it's the levelest spot you can find doesn't mean you can sleep there, turns out, but you can try!

18.JPG

During a nice night of not sleeping, I thought about how I probably didn't want to walk to where the goats I saw on the top of the mountain were, and how if I did walk there and shoot one, that it would probably come to rest not less than 2000 feet below where I shot it. By the time I walked down to it I would probably be bored and not care about goat hunting anymore, which would be a shame.

Once it finally got light again, I got up and began to look for goats in spots I thought would only end in one of our deaths.

19.JPG

Spotting a goat took about 12 seconds, because they are bright white and basically glow, and there are dozens of them in this basin.

21.JPG

After the we both had breakfast, I noticed this one.

22.JPG

I though I might like to shoot him and take him home. Since I had a tag it was legal and everything.

23.JPG

So I did. Then I realized I had to go get him! Turns out it was unpleasant getting down to him from where I was.

24.JPG

I did anyway though, cause I was not yet bored. My lack of boredom paid off, and I caught up with the dead goat and was able to take my picture with him.

25.JPG

Since I wanted to take this goat home, and he was now dead and couldn't walk, I cut him up and put him in my backpack.

28.JPG

This was great! The less great part came when I had to put the backpack on and carry it out the way I came. I had heard of type 2 fun, but up until then I thought it was just a silly prank the big kids would play on us youngsters. Turns out its real! There were many times I decided to quit, but each time I'd realize that it wouldn't help any, so I'd keep going. After a while, it felt like I was in a children's poem about hunting, but the kids in the poem I knew were hunting bears, not goats. They must have been mistaken.

29.JPG

After a while, despite all the wanting to quit, type 2 fun, and poems, I got to the truck anyway.

30.JPG

I like the truck.

That sounds like a very enlightening hunt.

Congrats on BOB! (big ol' billy)

Ha! Excellent write up.. Thanks for sharing the fun with us. That country looks extreme.

Is that a Kifaru pack?

Yep, it's a Kifaru Ultralight. Wasn't sold at first but it is growing on me. There is a learning curve to packing it right, and I'm only partway there. A sub 3 lb pack that'll carry 100+ has some appeal. I'm also looking to demo the "other" Bozeman pack one weekend, if Greenhorn stops hogging them.

Congratulations, Carl. A great billy. Very happy for you. Great story and pics, as you always provide. With that taken care of, the rest of Montana's critters may be in further danger.

The pic of you and the goat might be one of the finest trophy photos every posted on this site. Love it.

HAHAHA!!! Great write up and nice goat!! I think that I have shared some of those feelings that you experienced...

Great hunt Carl. Congrats and thanks for the sharing the trip. Unusually familar looking country.;)

Almost forgot, big thanks to Craig, Matt, and Kurt for their help planning! It would not have been the same experience without it.

Carl,

Love the sign going in. It took me back.

10.JPG

P1020477_july_5.jpg

Again, congrats on a great adventure.

Awesome! Congrats Carl. Glad I could help out. Talk about a sweet trophy shot.
Makes me want to go back.

Bailing off that ridge does not sound fun! I probably would have started heading south towards the park rather than scaling back up that cow's face. :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back