Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tundra Owners - Towing Question

Tundras have good power and great brakes..
What year is yours? Brakes are my only complaints about mine, I can't get a set of rotors to last more than a year or so without warping. Even the fancy expensive dimpled and slotted with lifetime warranties.

What year is yours? Brakes are my only complaints about mine, I can't get a set of rotors to last more than a year or so without warping. Even the fancy expensive dimpled and slotted with lifetime warranties.
I think my pads are at 25-30% so I'm close to a brake job. I intermittently tow a camper, tool trailer, flatbed. They all have their own brakes,, which i make sure are functioning properly. Mostly open road travel.

Do you torque lug nuts or impact wrench them?

Do you torque lug nuts or impact wrench them?
torque. Warped rotors seems to definitely be a "thing" in tundras.

It's just frustrating when compared to my pickup that went 240k without any issue, and it hauled and towed WAY more frequently than my tundra does now.

I work for a large custom residential construction company. We have three skid steers. I think, maybe more. We use trucks that are designed and capable to tow them, plus the trailer weight. I wouldn't choose a half ton to move one no matter what it says on the tailgate. mtmuley

I work for a large custom residential construction company. We have three skid steers. I think, maybe more. We use trucks that are designed and capable to tow them, plus the trailer weight. I wouldn't choose a half ton to move one no matter what it says on the tailgate. mtmuley
This^^^

Man those tundras have a small bed , to small for a gooseneck and soft suspension
2-3 times a year with a gooseneck trailer and good trailEr brakes maybe?
pulling isn’t the problem, it’s stopping

I skipped all the posts. Hell no.

Can it pull the weight? Yeah probably.

Can it stop the weight? Yeah eventually, hopefully.
Stuff happens. Having a truck that can handle it is key. I pulled a 30 foot goose neck loaded with fir timbers from the Root to CDA. Just over the top of Lookout Pass, some stuff in the bed of my truck shifted and knocked the plug out. Headed down Lookout, no trailer brakes. Down through the gears (auto tranny). Pumping brakes. Finally pulled into a runaway truck area. Sit for an hour then threw snow on the brakes. Plugged in and headed out. Stuff happens. mtmuley

I understand why you want to step away from a diesel. I am doing the same, and have a 3/4 ton Ford with a 7.3 gas engine on order (my wife has one now). I expect Chevy has something similar available. Order waits for new ones are long at this time unfortunately.

Where do you get a brake rotor with a lifetime
warranty? The previous manager of a Checker Auto,
and parts sales manager of an Auto Zone.
I'm calling B.S. on lifetime brake rotors.

Last edited:
Back