Tundra Owners - Towing Question

Southern Elk

I'm curious if any of you guys who own Tundras have towed anything as heavy as a skid steer. I currently have a Chevy 1 ton and the only reason that I need it is to occasionally tow my skid steer from jobsite to jobsite. I have a friend who wants to buy my Chevy because you can't find a new one right now. I'm thinking of selling it to him, but I don't want another diesel. I would like to buy a used Tundra. Would you consider towing an 8,000lb skid steer on a 3,000lb trailer? I know that's likely a little more than the towing capacity, but I've always been surprised at how much heavier built the Tundras are compared to other 1/2 tons.

I'm curious if any of you guys who own Tundras have towed anything as heavy as a skid steer. I currently have a Chevy 1 ton and the only reason that I need it is to occasionally tow my skid steer from jobsite to jobsite. I have a friend who wants to buy my Chevy because you can't find a new one right now. I'm thinking of selling it to him, but I don't want another diesel. I would like to buy a used Tundra. Would you consider towing an 8,000lb skid steer on a 3,000lb trailer? I know that's likely a little more than the towing capacity, but I've always been surprised at how much heavier built the Tundras are compared to other 1/2 tons.
I pulled a 7k lb trailer once, it was pretty terrifying. I already think the brakes on my Tundra as WAY undersized. I'm sure it would do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I pulled a 7k lb trailer once, it was pretty terrifying. I already think the brakes on my Tundra as WAY undersized. I'm sure it would do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
What year model is yours? A friend of mine had a 2008 model and we once towed 4 big draft cross pack horses into the mountains with it. The trailer was heavy too. It had to be 10,000lbs.

What year model is yours? A friend of mine had a 2008 model and we once towed 4 big draft cross pack horses into the mountains with it. The trailer was heavy too. It had to be 10,000lbs.
2012, and it was really only the braking and the sway that scared me. It had plenty of power.

I have a 2012 that I'm swapping for a 2022 next month. I pulled 13,000 pounds once and it was fine, until the hill leading to my house, then I was struggling for power. If you're pulling on flat ground you'd be totally fine. They didn't come standard with trailer brake back in the day so an aftermarket module for $100 plugs in under the dash and works fine. If I was going to regularly tow I'd add a set of airbags to the rear axle and be completely comfortable with a 10k lb. load.

I have a 2012 that I'm swapping for a 2022 next month. I pulled 13,000 pounds once and it was fine, until the hill leading to my house, then I was struggling for power. If you're pulling on flat ground you'd be totally fine. They didn't come standard with trailer brake back in the day so an aftermarket module for $100 plugs in under the dash and works fine. If I was going to regularly tow I'd add a set of airbags to the rear axle and be completely comfortable with a 10k lb. load.
Looks like the towing capacity on the 2022 model went up to 12,000lbs. Should be a real workhorse.

I've towed a 10k dump trailer with mine, not exactly ideal. It'll do in a pinch, but I'm not going to run across town with it. Like @neffa3 said, it's not so much the power/suspension, it's the brakes.

Mine's a 2018.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back