Caribou Gear Tarp

Truck advice

StrutNut

Looking at getting a used rig to replace my 1997 Ford F150. I got 265,000 on it and it is time to replace. Not really looking for another Ford as they are a pain to work on. I am leaning toward a 2002/2003 Chevy Avalanche, 2003/2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi or an older Suburban. I will use it to mostly big game hunt and hauling the family around. Not much for towing. Any thoughts on which one and why? Mechanical advice greatly appreciated as I like to work on my own rigs unless I have to go to a mechanic.

I've had both Chevy's and Ford's and I have found them about equal to work on for the stuff I do to them. I have an 08 Chevy right now and I do like the part time 4 cylinder deal when on the interestate. I get between 19 and 20 when I don't press it too hard. I too considered an Avalanche briefly. If I were you I would consider a 4 door pickup and add a topper instead.

Don't have much mechanical advice unless you need a way to get rusted on rotors off a Ford without a saw and torch.

I've got an '05 Silverado, 4 wheel drive, quad cab. It's got plenty of room for the family and dog, gets decent gas mileage, and will be getting a topper on it soon. The only down side to me is the short 5 ft bed, but I can live with that with all the advantages the truck possesses.

I'm on my second shortbed Silverado 4x4 with a cap on the back. The 1998 I had was over 120,000 and I only spent $400 on one transmission solenoid in the years I had it. I traded it in for an 06 and have not spent one cent on it in six years and it now has 88,000 on it and is still on the original brake pads. I'll probably keep it for a couple more years and get one more before I quit hunting out west and won't need a full-size truck any longer.

I'd stick with a crew cab Chevy over the Avalanche, the box is way nicer to have than the screwy box on the Avey, and as to working on them most newer stuff is a nightmare no matter who makes it

I would stick with the f150 or a Chevy with the 5.3. Its not how hard they are to work on its how often it will leave you on the side of the road.

I have an '04 Silverado crew cab with the 6.0L. It has been a great ride. All that has been done in 111K miles is oil and trans flushes. Still running original brakes and plugs. It tows anything without hesitation and gets decent mileage. Its big enough to haul the family and a full sheet of plywood lying flat in the bed. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone 4x4 but I dont really need it that often.

I have an '04 Silverado crew cab with the 6.0L......... and gets decent mileage.

I had the exact opposite experience with the 6.0. I've had an '04 and an '06 work truck with it, and both consistently got 10-12 mpg. Didn't matter in town or highway. Pretty similar to the old 454's. They did have tons of power though.

Right now I have an '01 Chevy with the 5.3 and an '04 Chevy with the 4.8. Of the three engines, I like the 5.3 best by far. It gets the best mileage of the three, and has enough power for a 1/2 ton.

Had an 05 gmc 3/4 ton with the 6.0 worst mileage I've ever got in a rig and out of 5 guys at work with them 4 lost transfer cases. Had 2 half ton rigs with the 5.7 great blend of mileage and power. Do love the 08 dodge with a cummins just wish the cab was a bit bigger and had got the Long bed but ill drive this truck as Long as she's got a breath left did I say I love her.

whatever you do avoid the 6.0 litre ford powerstroke,,,,absolute junk.worst engine in this century.i work on a fleet of these stupid things.

01-05 chevy/gm half tons with the 5.3 seem to be real solid work ponies.

We had an '01 Chev Suburban for 150k trouble free miles.

We bought an '09 Suburban which was trouble from the day we bought the cursed thing. Electronic problems, door locks, power windows, axle seals, over heating were the problems in the first 40k miles. It was built during the GM bailout in a plant that was scheduled for shutdown. You might want to shy away from the bail out years.

I'd stick with a crew cab Chevy over the Avalanche, the box is way nicer to have than the screwy box on the Avey, and as to working on them most newer stuff is a nightmare no matter who makes it
+1! I bought an Avalanche because the price couldn't be beat, but the bed is far from a real truck bed.

That said, if you are not going to be hauling much, I would get the smaller engine. I have a '98 Ford with a 4.6L engine and have never needed more power and get between 17-18mpg as an average. My '04 Avalanche gets worse mileage with the bigger engine.

whatever you do avoid the 6.0 litre ford powerstroke,,,,absolute junk.worst engine in this century.i work on a fleet of these stupid things.

Our ambulances have these motors and they are junk. Ford made the package for years with the 7.3L and it was bullet proof. Since the switch to the 6.0 they are nothing short of horrible. Thankfully Ford has decided to longer offer an ambulance package and we have moved on the Chevy, its like night and day. Much better power and much better fuel economy, only time will tell on longevity. Company wide we do about a million miles a year, should be a good test.

I've owned a few over the years, I have worked on several and have driven several more here's my rundown. My 01 F150 4.6 V8 was a good truck but 19 mpg is achievable with the new bigger V8' s that put out more power. I did find the 4.6 lacking for power on several occasions. My 04 and 06 Dodges with the pre emissions Cummins were great trucks. The biggest issue was the body and that became a huge issue. If you want something to keep you safe in a crash they fold up like tinfoil. My 05 1500 Dodge Hemi was awesome, tons of power 17 mpg and fun to drive had the same body as the 04 and 06 though. I owned an 08 Powerstroke for a little over a year before the dealer bought it back, that should be a clue. I now drive an 09 F150. The power, transmission, roomy crew cab and towing capability of this truck make it one of my favorites. The new Fords are tough to beat. As for some of the other models that I haven't owned but have experience with, the 6.0 Powerstroke was a terrible motor however there are several on the road with a ton of trouble free miles. Those are generally 06 and newer or older ones that had 06 or newer motors put in them. The 5.3 chevy is a good dependable motor and as long as you can find one in a vehicle that has working gauges and you don't need to pull much they are a good option. I have known several 6.0 GMC and Chevys the new ones seem to be a little better mileage wise but the older ones were gas hogs. Dodge has been putting out competitive trucks for the last 10 years and aside from the issue of their thin skin they offered one of the best engine / transmission set ups until the 6 speed Fords and are a good option as well.

Now that I've shared this with you I'll give you the insight of someone who has averaged 1 new vehicle purchase a year since 2004. Buy what you like. Don't let the hood ornament influence your choice as much as your seat of the pants opinion. I work with a guy who is so set on buying a Chevy every time that he has managed to lock himself into some crappy deals because he wouldn't think of owning anything else. Every company in the truck market makes great trucks. Every company has a lemon leave the line from time to time. Do your homework find what you like in your price range and you will be much happier making the payments.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back