Caribou Gear Tarp

Trekking Poles

Dave2643

Still getting tips for my sheep hunt this fall. I was thinking about a pair of trekking poles or a single pole to get me up and around in sheep country. Anybody have thoughts on this. I have a stick that I use while cruising timber that helps me get around and thought I would invest in a real set or single pole if anyone thought it would be beneficial. I am trying to keep my gear to a minimum but want to anything that would help me get to where the sheep live.

Bought some at Walmart. Yep, Walmart. They are extendable. Light and worked well for me. I think $19.99 for the pair. Used them for the first time last fall hunting elk in New Mexico. Made walking so much easier.

good luck to all
the dog

I never leave home without them. I prefer the flick lock design by Black Diamond. The twist lock or other colapdible types don't seem to hold up as well.

Good luck on your shep hunt.

I have a set of Black Diamonds and have used them all spring. It definitely helps take some stress off of your legs and helps with balance.

I bought some Black Diamond z poles and used them all last season. They are the cat's pajamas. Would not consider hunting, scouting, or hiking without them. Much less fatigue and packing weight was much better.

I only have experience with Leki twist locks and Black Diamond z-poles. Black Diamond wins hands down.

Trekking poles

Looked the z-lock Black Diamonds up on Amazon. I think that I will get a pair of those. I sure appreciate all of the replies.

If you only get one you will wish you had two. I like mine anytime I'm carrying a pack that weighs very much.

I didn't use them for years until my hunting buddy had me try them while sheep hunting. Ever since that time I use them...especially in steep, rocky terrain when hauling heavy loads. It's really nice to have telescoping poles so you can adjust them for side-hills. Telescoping poles are also nice for packing and hauling around. If you want great deals take a look at Sierra Trading. You can get their great price plus use 20 to 30% off coupon codes.

I have been using Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Corks for about 2 years now. Love them. Took a good spill on a sheep hunt last fall and broke the bottom segment of one pole. Emailed them about purchasing a replacement and the guy replied that he had dropped one in the mail to me (I had ordered them from BD originally). Great customer service.

A must for mountain hunts. Like stated above two is the ticket. I couldn't image how my goat and sheep hunt would have went without them. Best of luck on your trip! Good huntin'

Brought these from Cabelas and they worked extremely well.

Just got home from hunting tahr in NZ and started out with 2 poles. My kiwi mates convinced me to just use one and showed me some proper techniques. Kiwis are masters at taking on the steepest terrain. I think they have hydraulic fluid for blood.

Attachments

• 20150521_181710.jpg
    20150521_181710.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 739
Looking at Black Diamond's Z Pole sizing chart, I'm at the upper end of the height range for the 110 cm poles. They recommend going up to the next size for walking, hiking, etc. if you're on the cusp of a height range. Is this good counsel?

Last edited:
Don't get the Z-poles for any kind of off-trailing. They pull apart. Get flip locks - key work "lock". Z-poles are for prancersizing. My girlfriend had Zpoles for a year and they were not durable enough for off trail backpacking/hiking.

Never had any issues with my z-poles pulling apart. The handle on mine locks them. Maybe I got got lucky or I just stay on the nice mountain trails.:D

I had Black Diamond flip lock poles. Worked well, my wife has them now. I currently use Leki Corklite with lever lock and they work great. They are worth much more than I paid, when backpacking in steep terrain. I would also recommend two.

Never had any issues with my z-poles pulling apart. The handle on mine locks them. Maybe I got got lucky or I just stay on the nice mountain trails.:D

Yep, as long as they're locked in mine have never came apart either. I guess I'm not as manly as Greenhorn's girlfriend.

I've never tried trekking poles. I can see how they could be helpful, but usually I have my rifle in my hands. Or on my shoulder if needed. Seems like having the poles would impede getting at your rifle quickly if needed. How do you carry a rifle while using them? mtmuley

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back