Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Trading Card Collecting Nerds, Unite!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Ya'll got quiet all of a sudden...did I go too nerdy on ya?
Yeah not possible, that ship sailed with THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING crew. :D

Kidding, it's all great. I've really enjoyed reading the the memories. In most cases they harken to a simpler time in all of our lives; and if not, fun breaks from current day to day stresses that are all too real. Thanks all for playing along. When you visit your mom's house or get around to digging out a favorite over the coming weeks/months/years, keep posting 'em up here.

I have come to realize that basketball cards were the crypto before crypto was crypto.

I mean, I thought that by the time I was old they might be worth something. I can see now, that even if I hold on to them for my grandkids, it's probably not going to be worth anything, at best it'll be my great grandkids that might be able to afford a sixer of beer from them.

Oh my, the nostalgia!

All my spending money as a kid went to baseball cards. I liked to attend signing events in Minneapolis to meet the stars too. By the time college rolled around I sold a couple valuable signed Kirby Puckett cards, and also gave away the entire rest of my collection to a kid, including a coveted Griffey Jr. rookie card. I did keep my favorite player, though…
644EC7B2-D4E9-45DE-86CD-9BB1DBF476C6.jpeg

MTG was worse. My entire life 12-18 was consumed with this game. Granted, it’s fun to play, but what a frickin’ racket! As soon as I could drive, my friends and I would attend weekly organized tournaments. And I was a terrible card player, almost always got eliminated in the first round. Around 2003 I sold my cards on eBay for a few hundred bucks, and never looked back.

MTG was worse. My entire life 12-18 was consumed with this game. Granted, it’s fun to play, but what a frickin’ racket! As soon as I could drive, my friends and I would attend weekly organized tournaments. And I was a terrible card player, almost always got eliminated in the first round. Around 2003 I sold my cards on eBay for a few hundred bucks, and never looked back.

Ah, the joys of competitive play.

You stopped playing before the Commander format came around (same as me my first go round). It’s a more social format, meant to be played in 4 player games. The goal is certainly to win, but the social contract is such that, ideally, you are winning roughly 25% of the time (or 50% of the time playing the format 1v1). Of course, if playing with unknowns at an LGS* there is always the risk of both pub-stomping neckbeards and/or salty anti-social whiners.

But, if you have a good group it’s a lot of fun. I’m the ‘best’ player in my group, most often the ‘archenemy’ in games either getting teamed up on and getting knocked out first or winning. I purposely tone down decks to play better within the group and I’d say at this point I’m winning more than 25% of the games but it gets closer and closer every week as everyone gets better and better - most of them don’t have the advantage of playing with their wives to learn decks like I do (and she is the best player I play against regularly, hands down).

Anyway, fun!

*Local game store for you less cool folks not playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING

Dang man! That’s a serious collection of good stuff.

Ya'll got quiet all of a sudden...did I go too nerdy on ya?

@neffa3 ...you need a cuticle care kit! ;)
How's the turnaround on PSA grading you've had done? Also have you looked into the PSA/Goldin partnership? Looks like they're now offering a grading + auction service with a 2 week turnaround and no fees.

For tonight's session of THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, 4 of us are doing a draft. We all start with 3 unopened packs of cards each. Everybody opens 1 pack, selects a card, then passes the remainder to another person, selects another, passes. Do this for 3 packs. Then, everyone creates a 40 card deck using the cards they have drafted (with basic lands from outside the game) and we have mini tournament of 1v1 games. Its double-y fun since not only are we playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, we are cracking packs and pulling new cards - I hope I pull some sweet MYTHICS!

Ill bet not a single person here on Hunttalk has as cool a Friday night planned as I.

I've got a bunch of old baseball cards in my basement. Note the message on the box, written when I was about 12. It worked! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 259268

Can you guess what era I was collecting in?

View attachment 259270View attachment 259271
:ROFLMAO:

All I think about when I see Wade Boggs is Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia trying to break his beer drinking record:

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-charlie-day.gif

a318cf3b-532d-4fdf-9862-9e0ed98acd03_text.gif

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-rob-mc-elhenney.gif

All I think about when I see Wade Boggs is Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia trying to break his beer drinking record:

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-charlie-day.gif

a318cf3b-532d-4fdf-9862-9e0ed98acd03_text.gif

its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-rob-mc-elhenney.gif

I love this show so much. Totally sensory overload - watch a few episodes laughing uncontrollably, end up mentally exhausted from the ridiculousness of the horribleness.

Back when one of the airlines was based out of Philly before they merged years ago - US Air or American? - my wife and I flew thru their as a hub from multinational travel. On the overseas flights there would be a TV in every seat, and one of the options on that TV would invariably 3 random episodes of Always Sunny. Naturally, this is the first thing I would put on every flight. In no time Id be laughing uncontrollably with my horrified and embarrassed wife nudging me since I was laughing so hard. Then Id fall asleep. Good times.

Back