Trading Card Collecting Nerds, Unite!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Yep, I've got a pile of sports cards from my childhood. Mostly steriod-era baseball heros, some football cards too. A few basketball. A couple of them with autographs or where they put a piece of the jersey or bat on the card. I'll try to dig a few up and take some photos.

I've thought about trying to sell some over the years, but a quick e-bay search proves that most of them are not worth anything, or not worth enough to deal with the hassle. $10 for an ungraded Barry Bonds rookie card? Ugh oh well. Like @SnowyMountaineer said, it seems only the graded ones are worth much, but its also expensive to get them graded too.

Unfortunately likely not going to fund a pair of swarovski binoculars for me!

@BirdManMike, when I was a kid I was scared of Magic: The Gathering because I was told it made you love Satan. Ha.

And all the while during that period when I was scared of Magic: The Gathering, I was obsessed with Spawn comic books, which was literally about demons and hell and stuff. I've got a bunch of baseball and basketball cards from the 90s that likely aren't worth anything, and a couple of big tubes of POGS, but my main collecting was comic books.

I've got originals of Spawn #1-100, but I read them so many times they probably aren't in great condition. Especially Spawn #11, which I was reading at the picnic table at night on a camping trip, and my mom accidentally blew citronella candle wax all over it and my arms. If we'd had the internet back then I would have immediately begun researching how to divorce myself from my parents...

Wait, what? You just lost them? I mean I can at least remember what happened to mine. But lost? How does that happen?

My grandma threw out my dad's collection (and all the rest of his stuff) when he joined the Navy. He recalls having some cards from the 50's-60's that would be worth real money today.

A magical evening with the missus at Buffalo Bill playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING:

BC2877AC-23B7-4D2E-88B8-06E98196DDD0.JPG

You can see, if you look close, that I am playing (quite possibly) my favorite commander, Zurgo Helmsmasher.

Look at this badass:

ktk-214-zurgo-helmsmasher.jpg

He does what I like best: ATTACK. Im a red player at heart. SMASH, BURN, LIGHTNING!, EXPLOSIONS!

My other (possibly) favorite commander is this fine fellow:

Toralf-God-of-Fury-showcase-KHM-672.jpg

Most of my playgroup prefers playing EDH/Commander. This is a format with a large deck size of 100 cards, one 'commander' that can be recast thru the game if destroyed and 99 others in the deck. Its a singleton format, meaning other than basic land cards, the cards that allow one to play other cards, there may be only 1 of any card in the deck. This makes for more randomized games compared to some of the older formats (where I started) that have smaller deck sizes of 40 or 60 cards and up to 4 copies of a card.

I can talk all day about this stuff. The only topic I like talking about more is falconry. Ha ha.

I've got a hefty childhood Pokémon card collection. My dad was a sports card guy so thankfully he didn't let me destroy them. I have a stack of those shoe box size cases of sports cards that I've never even opened that I inherited from him when he passed. Recently started messing around with the Pokémon cards seeing what's valuable after 20 dark years in the attic. I think the sports card boxes will see the light of day soon.

Here's some more gold. I remember when 10 year old me cracked open the booster pack and found this inside..

20230103_182514.jpg
Screenshot_20230104_174511_Chrome.jpg

Here's a few more, screw it, I never get to show these off. If i get to sorting and grading probably looking at no less than $5k+ but could be up to $20k. Theres another 50-60 pages of cards...
20230103_102830.jpg20230103_110700.jpg20230103_110710.jpg20230103_110715.jpg20230103_110723.jpg20230103_110727.jpg20230103_110737.jpg

I've got a hefty childhood Pokémon card collection. My dad was a sports card guy so thankfully he didn't let me destroy them. I have a stack of those shoe box size cases of sports cards that I've never even opened that I inherited from him when he passed. Recently started messing around with the Pokémon cards seeing what's valuable after 20 dark years in the attic. I think the sports card boxes will see the light of day soon.

Here's some more gold. I remember when 10 year old me cracked open the booster pack and found this inside..

View attachment 259192
View attachment 259193

My man...

That was such a cool card at 9 years old. I still have all of my Pokemon cards. I didn't realize that some of them I considered to be sort of common are worth a little bit.

So what is the best way to assess value of a baseball card collection without going to some guy? Is Beckett’s still a thing?

Man, Pokemon cards sure do look lame when compared to THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING cards (exhibit A: https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/trading-card-collecting-nerds-unite.317331/page-3#post-3530059).

I know drugs when I see them. Never touched the stuff...

Some of my closest friends were/ are super into Magic. It looks fun, but I've always avoided it for the same reason I avoid skiing. Both take a special caliber of nerd and are an expensive hobby I don't need to add ;)

I know I couldn't indulge in either in moderation.

Edit: Since I'm taking shots at both Magic and skiing @wllm

Some of my closest friends were/ are super into Magic. It looks fun, but I've always avoided it for the same reason I avoid skiing. Both take a special caliber of nerd and are an expensive hobby I don't need to add ;)

Edit: Since I'm taking shots at both Magic and skiing

@wllm

Truer words...

Edit: Since I'm taking shots at both Magic and skiing @wllm
Bro I have a snowboard, waterski, tele/cross country/alpine, a pack raft, and multiple guns… all sitting under a caribou skull and a bear rug from POW… Barry Ramsey and all that

Bro I have a snowboard, waterski, tele/cross country/alpine, a pack raft, and multiple guns… all sitting under a caribou skull and a bear rug from POW… Barry Ramsey and all that

I don't even know some of those words. I just have a boatload of guns, no caribou skull, and Pokemon cards man.

My man...

That was such a cool card at 9 years old. I still have all of my Pokemon cards. I didn't realize that some of them I considered to be sort of common are worth a little bit.
Base set cards in mint/near mint condition are all worth a pretty penny. That Blastoise isn't in mint condition but will probably still bring $1k. The Charizard is as good as new but less rare, maybe another $1k.

On the extreme end a shadowless 1st edition Charizard graded at PSA 10 sold for almost $300k in 2020.

Mine are all from the 90s heyday so I don't think they're worth much. Basketball was my sport and I loved MJ so I tried everything I could to get Michael Jordan cards.

Also had a bunch of NFL cards but very few baseball cards. Barry Sanders rookie etc.

No pics because they're all still at my parents house (I hope?)...

Used to love riding my bike with my buddies up to the convenience store for a few packs of cards and some Big League Chew.

For the Chipper Jones / Braves fans, I've got an autographed Chipper Jones baseball (also has Javy Lopez and a few others) from a Greenville Braves game when he was in AA....anyone got some rare Jordans to trade?? 😅

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back