Trading Card Collecting Nerds, Unite!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Side topic, but it's truly insane to me that for the price of about 5 CD's in the 90's, you can listen to virtually any song in the universe for an entire year on Spotify/Apple/Amazon. This is among the greatest technological and cultural advances that I can think of.
A great example deflation that goes by virtually unnoticed. Would be interesting to find someone who has a log of their budget for the last 30 years and see what there budget for media, CD/DVD/TVs/Radio/Vinyl/Cable etc was in the 90s versus today.

I remember those days. Too often I fell victim to liking players who played a certain position. When I was in elementary school, I liked both the Mariners and the Braves, because the Mariners were on Fox and the Braves were on TBS. I played 2nd base as a kid, and I remember trading the neighbor kid an A-Rod card for a Joey Cora card. Should have been a red flag whenever we'd go to make a trade and he'd say "No looking the values up in Beckett first."

When I was 9, I sent a letter and a card to Chipper asking him to sign it. It took about a year, but I eventually got the card back signed by him. I still have all my cards but haven't dug them out and looked at them in years.

Too often I fell victim to liking players who played a certain position. When I was in elementary school, I liked both the Mariners and the Braves, because the Mariners were on Fox and the Braves were on TBS. I played 2nd base as a kid, and I remember trading the neighbor kid an A-Rod card for a Joey Cora card.
Could've been worse, looking at 2b's at least you didn't give him your A-rod for a Mark Lemke haha.

1672854822219.png

I have a pile of cards from the late 80'-early 90's, the Griffey Jr./Bonds/McGwire/Thomas era. Ryne Sandberg was my favorite player, I played 2B and wanted to be him when I grew up, so I have at least 100 of his cards alone. We used to stay up for hours and trade like little hedge fund pirates.

My wife gives me a very knowing and understanding look when I say we will retire on them someday. Those of you who say they're worth nothing can take your opinions and...oh never mind...
My favorite was Darryl Strawberry, I have an entire box full of cards. It includes hundreds if not thousands of his cards, I snapped up every one I could find of all types. They were of course expensive then and are now mostly worth a few cents.

When my mom passed I got all the cards. They were mine and my brothers , baseball and hockey mostly, most from 70s

No idea if they are worth anything. Anyone know how I can find out?
They still make the Beckett Baseball Card Monthly magazine. You can get an online subscription or pick one up at a Barnes and Noble or similar store. I have the #3 Basketball beckett with Magic Johnson on the cover and a trove of Beckets from the Mid 80's to mid 90's.

You know how I kinda suck at hunting? Turns out I kinda suck at collecting cards too. I think my most valuable card is a Clyde Drexler rookie card that came in a Franz Bread loaf.

Also, this Sonics talk needs to go away, just like the Sonics did. #Blazers4Life

You know how I kinda suck at hunting? Turns out I kinda suck at collecting cards too. I think my most valuable card is a Clyde Drexler rookie card that came in a Franz Bread loaf.

Also, this Sonics talk needs to go away, just like the Sonics did. #Blazers4Life
Love Clyde the Glide! I reserved all my 90's disdain for Karl Malone. Ironically I almost bought a truck from one of his dealerships however.

Still have a box in a closet somewhere. Mid-80’s to early 90’s baseball and football. Can’t remember what’s in there… I know I have some Will Clark, Nolan Ryan, Cal Jr., Griffey Jr., a Favre rookie card in there somewhere.

I doubt they are worth anything, but every decade or so I stumble on the box and go through it. Get the same excitement I always did when I find a good one. No idea what I’m ever going to do with them though.

A great example deflation that goes by virtually unnoticed. Would be interesting to find someone who has a log of their budget for the last 30 years and see what there budget for media, CD/DVD/TVs/Radio/Vinyl/Cable etc was in the 90s versus today.
Side topic to the side topic. In 2003 I came out to San Jose to interview with EY after my internship in NY had finished. My college buddy was moving out too and had an interview at the same time with another company. After the interviews we went to stay at his Dad's best friends house (sorry to the Bueller like tangent). He was the CEO of a large VC firm and very well connected in Silicon Valley. Anyway, I pull out of my backpack a 100 CD Case Logic and he laughs and shows me the third generation iPod he just received from Apple. I'm amazed (hadn't see the iPod at all), wowed, and say when my final check from my internship with all my OT gets deposited I'm getting one of those. He said, I should buy shares with that $400 instead (Apple was $4/share then or ~ $.25/share now all the splits since)....some of the best advice I never listened too. I still have that case logic loaded in storage though.

@TheTone, be sure to check into it!! I had early 80's to early 90's. Back in the early-90's, I sold mine that were all in plastic sheets, by year, by player, and I felt like i got a gold mine for them. I had just graduated college, and probably looking back I should have saved them, but a little bit of debt, and wanting to purchase a new car made it easier to sell them. I sold them in 1992 for $10,000.
@SnowyMountaineer Definitely get them valued...

I have to dig out my old collection. I'm assuming it still exists at my parents' house somewhere. I had mostly baseball cards. Ken Griffey Jr. was my favorite as a kid. I know I have a Jerry Rice rookie card. Not sure where that one even came from since I didn't really get into football.

I never cared much for professional sports. Any enjoyment I ever found in sportsball cards was certainly gone before my age reached double digits.

I did play sports. I was moderately good, good enough that I was recruited by some D3 schools and chose one of them based upon sports. That didnt last long, a semester only. It quickly dawned on me that I didnt want my life to be sports, it was just stupid and there were way more things Id rather be doing with my time. Naturally, not playing sports means one no longer - or at least a lot less - socializes with the sports people. This was a boon, because this is when I fell in with a WAY cooler group.

We were all - or mostly - hunters, fishermen, or some combination thereof. They all for some reason were also into playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING. Many a fine weekend was had camping, fishing all day, drinking all night, and playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING.

The group kindve fell apart after my school years finished. Jobs, drugs, trouble, relocations, just life, in general. My card collection was lost, life went on.

Fast forward 16-17 years to 3 years ago.

My wife and I bought a little tear drop camper. She has always been the outdoors-y type, but has always refused to sleep in tent or really camp, in general. This was great, now we were camping together every other weekend.

One evening, we were sitting there chatting when she said, 'we should really bring some cards with us', to which I responded, 'you know what we should do? Start playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING'. She asked what that was and I explained it to her, after which she said shed like to give it a try.

A few weeks, maybe a month or two, went by with her asking, 'did you order some of those cards?', to which Id always shrug it off, 'no, not yet. I will'.

Then, an Amazon package arrived containing a couple decks for THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING. She had ordered these for me as a surprise. Only, she had ordered a couple decks that were completely different playing formats (since there are many different formats for playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING) and were incompatible for an actual game. This is when my inner nerd kicked in as I shouted:

download (2).jpg

I ordered a couple additional pre-made decks. When they arrived, we started playing with all the old enjoyment coming back in a flash. My wife picked it up extremely quick, and we still play together a few nights per week.

What started as a couple pre-made decks ordered on Amazon has turned into MANY more decks, most hand built, over the past 3 years. The amount of money I have spent is in the $1000s, and I unashamed in the least since it bring so much enjoyment and its no financial burden at this point in my life. The game is enjoyment and quality time not only for me and my missus, but for the many others my enthusiasm has infected both at work and outside work.

I now have a playgroup of myself, my wife, and 9 other friends (two a husband/wife pair). Some combination of our group plays 1 night/week, basically every week (we miss a few here and there due to other plans, life, etc.). Only 1 other in the group has ever played prior to my infecting the others, and all are as thoroughly hooked as me.

Next post - or maybe one in the future - I shall tell fine folks all about my awesome cards, the playstyles I like, how I like to build my decks, and all sorts of other fine facts and general information about THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING.

THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING

I never cared much for professional sports. Any enjoyment I ever found in sportsball cards was certainly gone before my age reached double digits.

I did play sports. I was moderately good, good enough that I was recruited by some D3 schools and chose one of them based upon sports. That didnt last long, a semester only. It quickly dawned on me that I didnt want my life to be sports, it was just stupid and there were way more things Id rather be doing with my time. Naturally, not playing sports means one no longer - or at least a lot less - socializes with the sports people. This was a boon, because this is when I fell in with a WAY cooler group.

We were all - or mostly - hunters, fishermen, or some combination thereof. They all for some reason were also into playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING. Many a fine weekend was had camping, fishing all day, drinking all night, and playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING.

The group kindve fell apart after my school years finished. Jobs, drugs, trouble, relocations, just life, in general. My card collection was lost, life went on.

My wife and I bought a little tear drop camper. She has always been the outdoors-y type, but has always refused to sleep in tent or really camp, in general. This was great, now we were camping together every other weekend.

One evening, we were sitting there chatting when she said, 'we should really bring some cards with us', to which I responded, 'you know what we should do? Start playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING'. She asked what that was and I explained it to her, after which she said shed like to give it a try.

A few weeks, maybe a month or two, went by with her asking, 'did you order some of those cards?', to which Id always shrug it off, 'no, not yet. I will'.

Then, an Amazon package arrived containing a couple decks for THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING. She had ordered these for me as a surprise. Only, she had ordered a couple decks that were completely different playing formats (since there are many different formats for playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING) and were incompatible for an actual game. This is when my inner nerd kicked in as I shouted:

View attachment 259127

I ordered a couple additional pre-made decks. When they arrived, we started playing with all the old enjoyment coming back in a flash. My wife picked it up extremely quick, and we still play together a few nights per week.

What started as a couple pre-made decks ordered on Amazon has turned into MANY more decks, most hand built, over the past 3 years. The amount of money I have spent is in the $1000s, and I unashamed in the least since it bring so much enjoyment and its no financial burden at this point in my life. The game is enjoyment and quality time not only for me and my missus, but for the many others my enthusiasm has infected both at work and outside work.

I now have a playgroup of myself, my wife, and 9 other friends (two a husband/wife pair). Some combination of our group plays 1 night/week, basically every week (we miss a few here and there due to other plans, life, etc.). Only 1 other in the group has ever played prior to my infecting the others, and all are as thoroughly hooked as me.

Next post - or maybe one in the future - I shall tell fine folks all about my awesome cards, the playstyles I like, how I like to build my decks, and all sorts of other fine facts and general information about THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING.

914C8459-04BE-4E2E-977D-D9E022344A50.jpeg

These are the one's that I think are probably worth something... probably have a bunch more that I haven't looked up. I have a couple flats with probably 10k+ cards in them and did an inventory on some of the valuable commons/uncommon and this is what I found. Probably a few more diamonds in there.

5-MM- Ancestral Mask
5-MM- BrainStorm
6-Nemisis- Daze
10-Nemesis Reverent Strike
2-MM- Snuffed out
1-MM Land grant
1-VI-Ashnod's Altar
1-VI-Mystical Tutor

All that said I bet total value is $250-1000... probably on the low end as selling them off would take forever.

Seems more fun to give them to a kid some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 259128

These are the one's that I think are probably worth something... probably have a bunch more that I haven't looked up. I have a couple flats with probably 10k+ cards in them and did an inventory on some of the valuable commons/uncommon and this is what I found. Probably a few more diamonds in there.

5-MM- Ancestral Mask
5-MM- BrainStorm
6-Nemisis- Daze
10-Nemesis Reverent Strike
2-MM- Snuffed out
1-MM Land grant
1-VI-Ashnod's Altar
1-VI-Mystical Tutor

All that said I bet total value is $250-1000... probably on the low end as selling them off would take forever.

Seems more fun to give them to a kid some day.

EBAY! That fancy seltzer water fire extinguisher stuff you drink won’t buy itself.

View attachment 259127

Some buddies and I had a discord game of D&D going for a while... adding alcohol + blowing off the stress of work and kids makes for a pretty hilarious game.

My cousins play both MTG and D&D with their kids, seems like a pretty fun way to spend sometime with the family. Definitely better than most board games, kids have to cooperate with each other to do well and dad still get's to utterly destroy them in the end and send them into tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend that had a signed Regie Jackson Rooky card he was always telling me would make him rich someday. I lost touch with him, and he passed away a couple of years ago. I wonder what ever came of that card.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back