Caribou Gear

Trading Card Collecting Nerds, Unite!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Oh man, those were the days! I remember organizing them into teams and memorizing stats as if doing so would make me a better player! 😂

I ended up with some good ones, including lots of Jordan's, magic, Bird, Elway, Rice, Montana, Sanders, etc… My favorite was Bo with his iconic baseball/football pic.

Went to grad school, became more practical, poor as a church mouse when I graduated, and sold them for a good amount of money. Probably the right choice but I miss them when I see threads like this.

View attachment 259128

These are the one's that I think are probably worth something... probably have a bunch more that I haven't looked up. I have a couple flats with probably 10k+ cards in them and did an inventory on some of the valuable commons/uncommon and this is what I found. Probably a few more diamonds in there.

5-MM- Ancestral Mask
5-MM- BrainStorm
6-Nemisis- Daze
10-Nemesis Reverent Strike
2-MM- Snuffed out
1-MM Land grant
1-VI-Ashnod's Altar
1-VI-Mystical Tutor

All that said I bet total value is $250-1000... probably on the low end as selling them off would take forever.

Seems more fun to give them to a kid some day.
I think you're selling yourself short. My kids have Magic cards and a couple of years ago, my oldest asked me to take him to the local card/comic store so he could sell some for cash. I rolled my eyes and did the good dad thing; drove him up there, trying to convince him to set realistic expectations. I said things like, "you may find that they're not worth what you think they are" and "think ahead to what's the lowest amount that would be acceptable to you for each card, because that might end up being the best-case scenario." The kid walked in there and the expected bored look on the proprieter's face was actually genuine interest. Then, before I know it, the kid sells like, 15 cards for $500.00 I couldn't believe it...

The only card I made money off of was $20 on a Rickey Henderson card.
I tried collecting in the early 80’s. Lost interest in baseball cards to old coins. I use all the old worthless Topps ball cards as targets for the kids plinking with .22 and .17’s.

I collected baseball cards for a few years as a kid. Left them stored in my parents house during high school and college before graduating and then moving them into my house. I actually pulled them out of the attic the other day with a plan to get them graded and sell online. (They aren't making any money in the attic!) It looks like a few of the cards could have been worth something, but they are either very common (and not worth much) or are in crappy condition (and not worth much). I'm still going to give it a look through to see if there's anything worth sending off for grading. Doubtful.

Two words, Bonzi Wells.

His cards used to be very high on the speculation lists, turns out they're worth less than nothing now. He's like QS stock.
20230104_211230.jpg
You know how I kinda suck at hunting? Turns out I kinda suck at collecting cards too. I think my most valuable card is a Clyde Drexler rookie card that came in a Franz Bread loaf.

Also, this Sonics talk needs to go away, just like the Sonics did. #Blazers4Life
Ug... why!?!
20230104_211115.jpg

Ok. So after looking through 7 binders of shitty basketball cards, mostly off players I've never heard of or at least can't remember, the only cards I have that might actually be worth some money aren't mine, I have no idea where I got them, maybe my Dad, and they're baseball, from the late 60s.

But then again maybe not.

20230104_214650.jpg
The moral of the story is that the rest of you f-ers need to burn all your cards, and if enough of you do it I may regain enough value for a 6er of ipa.

Back in the late 1950’s most of us kids in the neighborhood collected baseball cards, with the stick of bubble gum in the packs. I had all the Phillies and most of the Yankees in 1957. I say most, because I needed Mickey Mantle, who was hard to get, to complete my Yankees. One kid had that card and I paid him $1.00 to get it. I was happy. But $1.00 in 1957 bought a lot of candy. Time passes and some things are put to the side. In 1965 I joined the Navy, never giving my baseball card collection another thought. Years later, when I was back to civilian life I asked my mom about the cards. She said they were long gone.
Years later I collected a full shoebox of baseball cards of all the teams. The oldest card that I had was a 1977 Willie Stargell Pittsburg Pirates card. Most of the box were New York Yankees. A few years ago I gave the whole box to my son for my grandsons. They are big fans. The one card that I told them to keep safe was one rookie card. That was Chris Bryant, who played third base for the Chicago Cubs at that time. A while later when I was in my younger grandson’s room, I noticed he had it tucked into the top frame of his dresser mirror.

Last edited:
That 1957 Mantle is worth some coin these days. I’m hoping my rookie Aaron Judge cards will climb in value.

An older gentleman I know had the 1957 Milwaukee Braves team saved away. He went in the Navy and his dad sold his baseball cards for $200. He’s still bitter to this day.

That 1957 Mantle is worth some coin these days. I’m hoping my rookie Aaron Judge cards will climb in value.

An older gentleman I know had the 1957 Milwaukee Braves team saved away. He went in the Navy and his dad sold his baseball cards for $200. He’s still bitter to this day.
I suppose I can understand him being bitter about that. But to tell the truth and perhaps it should have me also, it just never bothered me.

Me and my little brother had a pretty big collection from the 80's and 90's. Pretty sure my brother still has them.
He was into Griffy jr and had 12-15 different rookie cards of his and i was into Shaq, think i had over a hundred of his cards at some point.

I'm a pretty avid card collector. I have binders eerily similar to the binder DougFirTree posted above from my pre HS days. If you are curious of what your card might be worth go to ebay and type the card in and change the filter to recently sold. Or you can add the "Market Movers" app to your phone.

Most of what I collect these days are graded cards and very few are ultra-modern cards. The only ungraded cards I purchase are Red Sox cards from 1950-1958. I am trying to get the team set for each year. It is slow going as the Ted Williams cards are very expensive.

The most expensive cards that I had from my childhood days are the 1986 Michael Jordan rookie Sticker, 1984 John Elway and Dan Marino rookies, 1980 Rickey Henderson rookie, 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn and Wade Boggs, 1989 Upper Deck Griffey (several) and my favorite (but not worth much) a 1987 topps autographed Mike Greenwell. I had a couple of these graded out of curiosity and because I thought it would be neat to have. One of my Griffey's graded a PSA 8, my 84 John Elway graded a PSA 7 and my Boggs and Gwynn were both a PSA 8. Grading those cards with those grades probably was a bad move as it cost me almost as much to grade them as what I could sell them for, but I don't intend to sell them as they were cards I either pulled from a pack or bought from a card shop with my lawn mower money.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back