Trading Cards

beagle001

Apparently the trading card industry got a huge boost during the pandemic... anyone join in on the fun?

When I was a kid, I collected football cards mostly, and have between 5-10k of them still at my folks place. Probably late to the party but I’m going to try dabbling in selling them... maybe end up with a few extra bucks for the hunting fund!

I used to have 10s of thousands, but I dumped them all except a few hundred Micheal Jordan's, a few hundred barry bonds, about a 100 ken griffey jrs, and a couple Clemente cards. Probably keep holding onto them at this point.

I was pretty serious with it when I was young, and working a couple jobs in my teens, and then into college. That was when Griffey, McGwire, Canseco, etc were all just starting. I kept them all in plastic notebooks with sleeves, organized by player and by year. I had Nolan Ryan rookie card, Ricky Henderson rookie card. Way back when, 18000 cards total.....sold them all for $6,000 in 1991. Great deal for me then, and I never thought twice about it. But, looking back, and remembering what I had, it would definitely have been worth a lot more now.

I was pretty hardcore from like 8-15 years old. Was actually buying and selling ALOT on eBay from 2000-2004. Stocked up on as many of the best RC's I could get my hands on. Have quite a few graded LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Tomlinson, Brees, etc. When I started getting serious was about the same time they started coming out with signed/jersey/numbered cards making certain cards extremely rare. Then they overdid it and it seemed like every card had a serial number/jersey/auto and I got bored and over it. I've been selling quite a bit lately.

My adult children are really into Pokémon trading cards which I don't understand but they are hard core. They dabble in sports cards too. Competition at nationwide Target stores has gotten so intense that Target said the heck with it and stopped selling trading cards as of last Friday I believe. People fighting over cards and apparently there was a gun pulled in a Target parking lot somewhere. Crazy stuff.

I have several shoe boxes full from the early 80's. Some never opened. I have no idea what is in there. I guess I should go take a look.

Grew up after the crash of sports cards but while in elementary school I hit the pokemon card surge just right. I've got a couple binders of each in my mom's attic somewhere. Never thought about selling them because it would be depressing to know their value after knowing how many lawns I cut to buy them

I have a couple binders of shitty cards. I was never into it enough to buy nice ones. My wife just about threw them out when we moved but I told her our kids will want them at some point. Or maybe I'll hold out and give them to my grandkids.

Where do you even sell them, ebay?

I have several shoe boxes full from the early 80's. Some never opened. I have no idea what is in there. I guess I should go take a look.
you absolutely should. If they are full boxes like that, and never opened, I guarantee you would have some takers on Ebay or whatever other site.

Grew up after the crash of sports cards but while in elementary school I hit the pokemon card surge just right. I've got a couple binders of each in my mom's attic somewhere. Never thought about selling them because it would be depressing to know their value after knowing how many lawns I cut to buy them
You might not recoup all your money but right now is a great time to sell pokemon cards according to my boys. They watch Ebay closely as well as Craigslist and local market places on Facebook. Apparently most cards are junk but if you have the right ones they can bring a nice return.

I keep telling my wife we're going to retire on my cards someday, but she just roll her eyes...I'm sitting on a gold mine though I'm sure, I'll show her...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back