Caribou Gear Tarp

Trading Card Collecting Nerds, Unite!

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
For tonight's session of THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, 4 of us are doing a draft. We all start with 3 unopened packs of cards each. Everybody opens 1 pack, selects a card, then passes the remainder to another person, selects another, passes. Do this for 3 packs. Then, everyone creates a 40 card deck using the cards they have drafted (with basic lands from outside the game) and we have mini tournament of 1v1 games. Its double-y fun since not only are we playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, we are cracking packs and pulling new cards - I hope I pull some sweet MYTHICS!

Ill bet not a single person here on Hunttalk has as cool a Friday night planned as I.
I was one win away from a pro tour invite at GP Pittsburgh (Gatecrash limited) in...2013? Limited was my thing. Went 12-4 and actually got a check in the mail from WotC.

On the note of commander, it has done some weird things to prices. That 20 year old card that was garbage? Now might be $50+

How's the turnaround on PSA grading you've had done? Also have you looked into the PSA/Goldin partnership? Looks like they're now offering a grading + auction service with a 2 week turnaround and no fees.
@fowladdict - curious on this as well.....

@BlakeA that is an impressive collection from the late 90's/early 2000's. I was on a sabbatical from collecting at that time. I was in college playing baseball and being played by girls. If you are willing to part with that Boggs, I may be interested.

@maverik1 and @JT13 The last time I submitted to PSA was 2019. It took almost a year and a half to get my order. The only things I submit anymore are older cards. I use SGC now. I think the value of older cards graded by SGC is similar to PSA values and I think they look better in SGC cases. But for the most part, I buy what I want already graded. Saves me the from disappointment and heartbreak.

For tonight's session of THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, 4 of us are doing a draft. We all start with 3 unopened packs of cards each. Everybody opens 1 pack, selects a card, then passes the remainder to another person, selects another, passes. Do this for 3 packs. Then, everyone creates a 40 card deck using the cards they have drafted (with basic lands from outside the game) and we have mini tournament of 1v1 games. Its double-y fun since not only are we playing THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, we are cracking packs and pulling new cards - I hope I pull some sweet MYTHICS!

Ill bet not a single person here on Hunttalk has as cool a Friday night planned as I.
Man I missing doing these in college. So much fun.

I spend a solid portion of my evening painstakingly going through every single one of my cards. Pulled out everything of highest value, loaded them into penny sleeves, then into top loaders.

I'm sending at least 2 cards off to PSA next week. I will probably try their Value Plus service @ $40 with a 20 day turn around. If they grade half decent it'll make them worth around $1000. If they grade higher than they should, they could worth be much more.. but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Hey @BirdManMike my kids are getting into MTG but none of us really know/remember how to play. I certainly don't know what at least half of the special powers (for lack of a better term) actually mean/do. What is a good resource out there? Also, is it cheating to hop on ebay and buy a deck vs buying all the packs to build a deck?

Last edited:

The most fun I ever had playing this game was in HS when my brother and I each bought a starter deck before a family vacation and played each other for ante. We played so many rounds the cards wore out.

Hey @BirdManMike my kids are getting into MTG but none of us really know/remember how to play. I certainly don't know what at least have of the special powers (for lack of a better term) actually mean/do. What is a good resource out there? Also, is it cheating to hop on ebay and buy a deck vs buying all the packs to build a deck?
Hey @neffa3 . Download the Arena app on your phone or iPads. This is 'free-to-play' online Magic. I put 'free-to-play' in quotes because its filled with in-game digital purchases. There are some good tutorials where you learn the rules playing against computer opponents before being pitted against real people. Id recommend just playing thru the tutorial matches for a rules crash course and refresher, then deleting the app so the kiddos dont get hooked on it. This is what most (maybe all) of my friends did before playing with paper decks (starting with my loaners).

As far as pre-made decks go, ABSOLUTELY buy them all ready made. Id recommend starting with pre made commander decks that you can buy from Amazon, Walmart, your local game store, or lots of places. They range from $15-60 (or more) depending upon availability and desirability, but any of the decks from any of the sets in the past 2-3 years are well made decks and will all play fine against one another.

And in fact WoTC just released a set of 'starter' commander decks back in December that go for I think $30/ on Amazon.

Hey @BirdManMike my kids are getting into MTG but none of us really know/remember how to play. I certainly don't know what at least have of the special powers (for lack of a better term) actually mean/do. What is a good resource out there? Also, is it cheating to hop on ebay and buy a deck vs buying all the packs to build a deck?
Another cheap way to get started is to buy a large lot of commons and land off Ebay. It’s not going to make a competitive deck, but if you’re just playing among each other it’s an easy way to learn about deck-building, strategy, combinations, etc. Plus there is the creativity of putting all the pieces together.

I played MTG quite a bit in Junior High, then drifted away from it. I still have most of my cards at my parents house. I decided to sell cards to some classmates in high school to make some spending money and regret doing that. They logically picked the best cards and I’m sure I didn’t get very much money for them. I wish I held on to them.

This thread is making me wish I had access to my old cards to start playing again with my family.

Hey @BirdManMike my kids are getting into MTG but none of us really know/remember how to play. I certainly don't know what at least half of the special powers (for lack of a better term) actually mean/do. What is a good resource out there? Also, is it cheating to hop on ebay and buy a deck vs buying all the packs to build a deck?
Collecting is a whole thing, but playing is what's really fun. Agree with Birdman just buy some premade decks those should be balanced and playable. They also tend to skirt the more complicated card strategies which is nice for beginners.

I've never played commander, but if you were buying deck from my era Urza - Judgment I'd say get green or red decks, blue and black are tougher to play well.

🤷‍♂️

I have some old 50s and 60s baseball cards. I got a few roger maris and a few others that i should get graded that are in great condition. I collected Pokémon and sports cards growing up. Its fascinating and sad at the same time what the hobby has turned into. Most don't even know half the players in there. Crazy to think you can open a pack of cards and have a piece of carboard be worth more than your house.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back