Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

topo maps

mixedbag

Where do you guys buy your paper maps from?And what sizing do you like best.I need to get some maps for unit 49 in Colorado.I have chip for my gps,but I like to study paper maps and find spots that meet my criteria for elk.Then I like to fly around them on Google Earth to get a birds eye view
So who has the best deals on maps.I need to order asap

I just received one from mytopo.com and the US forest service. Both seem adequate. I think they are 24x36

Mytopo.com. you can make your own map and just get what you need.

I have been looking for that WapitiBob since I switched computers. I have been using USGS TopoView. It's a major PITA to get the maps, but I do like how they Have GeoJPG, So you can pull them up on your smart phone or tablet, and get an icon on the map of where you actually are. Neat feature, but not really worth the hassle if you have OnXMaps or a GPS. I prefer the old fashioned paper maps. Thanks for sharing the KML file that I lost for too long.

Thanks Bob! I had earth already up on my computer and had all my tracks and waypoints from years past uploaded from my gps. Nice to see the map vs earth

It's a little different application but for my 4x4 excursions I use MotionX. You can have several different map types and can download from specific servers. The maps stay local to your device you don't need a cell connection just GPS signal. I also always carry paper maps and decent compass to double check my position.

I use CalTopo and print them on waterproof printer paper which is is pretty inexpensive and works pretty well. They aren't high resolution but work well for us cheapskates. I suspect more people would do this is they knew how easy and affordable it is. It certainly beats no paper map when the phone or gps dies.

Back