Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Another CO unit 76 question

GDP

I'm nervous to post this but I'm going for it anyway. I'm 63 yrs old and burned 8 pts to draw 1st rifle bull in unit 76 this year. I'm in good shape for my age but this could be my lifetime hunt for a nice bull on public lands with the point creep. I've never been in the unit but plan at least 2 scouting/backpacking trips in Aug to get the lay of the land. I've read everything I can find on the internet about the unit and have topo maps and google earth to "see" it before scouting. My grown son is flying in for the hunt to help, especially with the packout. We're proud to do it the old fashioned way, don't own atv's or trail cams. I just drive my old ford truck as close as I can, then get out and start walking and pack everything out on our backs. We're not afraid of hard work and packed out my son's elk in the attached pic last year.

With that said, I'm looking for recent advice on general areas to avoid or look into while scouting and hunting in unit 76. By general advice, it could be NW or south central or comments on the wilderness, good or bad. It's such a huge area and I'd just like to narrow down the places I backpack thru in August while scouting. I'd love to PM anyone with first hand knowledge that's willing to share a little of it. Thanks in advance and good luck to all this year.

Attachments

• Steve Bull.jpg
    Steve Bull.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 65
Good luck. Wish I had more to share… I’ve hunted the San Juan’s twice but not your unit specifically. We were able to get on elk in both hunts but couldn’t get to archery range. I’d say e scout the best you can and when you get feet on the ground make sure you can get to where you want to go. Google earth can make things look easier than real life.

Reactions: GDP
Congrats on the tag! That’s a good unit with some nice bulls. I don’t have any experience in the unit myself, but my neighbors have hunted it many times with different people in their family drawing tags over the years. They have a 50/50 success rate with the bulls killed being really nice. They say it’s VERY rugged.
Sorry I can’t offer first hand experience.

I helped a friend harvest a nice bull there a couple years ago during Muzzy season. If nobody else gives you advice I’ll share what we saw and that could help. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Congratulations on drawing, you will have a great hunt. I don’t have any information to share, but best of luck.

Not personally been there either but if you can afford the time, show up a handful of days early and do some additional scouting. That should help quite a bit.

It's a cool unit! Got my first elk there. Definitely rugged. If I had preference points it's definitely a unit for good trophy bulls. Ironically I remember both years we had a hard time finding the ladies (had cow tags). Lots of terrain so folks can spread out. If you see a TH with a horse trailer expect to find somebody 8 miles back. Even in gnarly weather we found everything was high (above 11k). My husband once saw the biggest bull of his life just sitting in the middle of the horse trail on our hike in one morning.

Good luck to you!

Hunted it last two years,two different hunts. One had lots of bulging ect. The next one the elk were heading out of the wilderness moving towards lower ground due to snow. Study your maps, there are areas in the wilderness that are not a long hike in. Know what areas have outfitters established in them. Enjoy the scouting trips best part of that hunt/unit.

Hunted it last two years,two different hunts. One had lots of bulging ect. The next one the elk were heading out of the wilderness moving towards lower ground due to snow. Study your maps, there are areas in the wilderness that are not a long hike in. Know what areas have outfitters established in them. Enjoy the scouting trips best part of that hunt/unit.
Not wanting to sound dumb but how would I find out the areas with established outfitters? I will absolutely enjoy the scouting trip, backpacking around for a week or so should be great.

Not personally been there either but if you can afford the time, show up a handful of days early and do some additional scouting. That should help quite a bit.
Great advice. Several years ago I realized the same thing, that showing up and scouting a couple of days early makes a huge difference and fortunatley I can do that, and will for this hunt. With only 5 hunting days it's even more important.

Big section on SW side of 76 is Nuked from the Big Fire they had in there couple years ago. Certain sections nothing left but just match sticks.
Pm me for some info.

Usually those are good areas, is this the case or no cover left whatsover. thx

I also drew a tag in unit 76 , archery , and starting researching now , any help would be appreciated.

I'm nervous to post this but I'm going for it anyway. I'm 63 yrs old and burned 8 pts to draw 1st rifle bull in unit 76 this year. I'm in good shape for my age but this could be my lifetime hunt for a nice bull on public lands with the point creep. I've never been in the unit but plan at least 2 scouting/backpacking trips in Aug to get the lay of the land. I've read everything I can find on the internet about the unit and have topo maps and google earth to "see" it before scouting. My grown son is flying in for the hunt to help, especially with the packout. We're proud to do it the old fashioned way, don't own atv's or trail cams. I just drive my old ford truck as close as I can, then get out and start walking and pack everything out on our backs. We're not afraid of hard work and packed out my son's elk in the attached pic last year.

With that said, I'm looking for recent advice on general areas to avoid or look into while scouting and hunting in unit 76. By general advice, it could be NW or south central or comments on the wilderness, good or bad. It's such a huge area and I'd just like to narrow down the places I backpack thru in August while scouting. I'd love to PM anyone with first hand knowledge that's willing to share a little of it. Thanks in advance and good luck to all this year.
Ill share with you what I know I scouted it and hunted it and also helped two friends who had the tag on their hunts a year after I had the tag. Its a great experience great hunt just not a giant bull type of hunt. Feel free to Pm me. We did have a scary atv accident one night rolling a 4 wheeler off a steep slope riding double but luckily no major injuries just a close call on my friends leg being almost broken. Remember that one #2 car @Rusty

Not wanting to sound dumb but how would I find out the areas with established outfitters? I will absolutely enjoy the scouting trip, backpacking around for a week or so should be great.
Outfitters should not be an issue

I have an early rifle tag for first week in October and will be scouting 7/23-4 and in august as well. very rugged area you need to be in good HIGH ALTITUDE conditioning if you are on foot. I live here at 7,000 and i am working on conditioning, I am 75 by the way and burned 20 points for the tag.

I have an early rifle tag for first week in October and will be scouting 7/23-4 and in august as well. very rugged area you need to be in good HIGH ALTITUDE conditioning if you are on foot. I live here at 7,000 and i am working on conditioning, I am 75 by the way and burned 20 points for the tag.
Thanks for the info and I'm aware of the need for conditioning and working on it. I live in the Denver area and get out hiking regularly. I'll be there scouting late next week too. Let me know where they are haha! Good luck on your hunt.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back