Tires again…I know

man I'm running the toyo open country r/t on my ram 2500 and will be changing late summer as well...dry pavement great very little road noise , off road, mud, dirt, gravel great....wet pavement I would rate them a 5 out 10. wet snow/slush or anything with ice I would rate them a negative number. dry snow/powder no problems but they suck when any kind of wetness is involved

I have had good luck with the toyo AT3. They seem to do pretty well all around. They are not a dedicated snow or mud tire, but they do fairly well in both for an all terrain.

I also have a 2022 tundra and that is the tire I currently have in a 285/75 r18 size. Suspension is stock and they fit just fine.

Toyo now makes them in a 285/70 r18 size and I think I might go down to that with lower positive offset wheels when it's time for new ones. I would like to be able to fit chains both front and back. Currently I definitely wouldn't be able to fit them up front and probably not in the rear either as the 35" tire fills up the wheel well.

I've got Hankook AT2s on my Tundra, been great so far. Before that I had Hankook AT-Ms that I got about 60k miles out of.

As long as Toyo keeps making (and doesn't change) the AT3 that is probably what I'll stick with for the foreseeable future. I've never had an issue on my last and current truck. They do really well in all conditions I've had them in and great in snow which is a plus for where I live (don't need to get dedicated snow tires). Good on the highway too. Perhaps not as offroady as the BFG's, but IMO those tires are kinda lame on the highway.

I just put a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, 3MPSF rated, on my tacoma and love them. I know lots of people who use them too and like them a lot, for snow, gravel, mud, pavement. I'd recommend those. But of the three you mentioned I only have experience with the BFGs. My wife has them on her 4runner and they work great for us, on and off road. Another tire I love and have had great success with in all different terrains is the Cooper ST Maxx.

Without knowing what priorities are, recommendations are meaningless.

Of the three you listed the Mickey is not severe snow rated. If you want severe snow rated you’d be better off looking at the Baja Boss AT.

Ive only used the BFG out of your options presented. They were great in snow and ice, mediocre in mud, wore fairly well, and stayed balanced.

I think Goodyear Duratracs are damned hard to beat for how I use them. I’ve heard very good things about Falken Wildpeaks as well.

Like I said, depends on priorities. For me, snow and ice is a top priority followed by mud/rock traction and durability/flat resistance

Apparently I’m going to be the outlier but I have had very good luck with Mickey Thompson tires. I have had 2sets of the previous version of this tire and they have been awesome in all conditions and on the highway. Great in snow.they last really well too.

The tires on my Tundra are few months old, they came on the new truck. Falken Wildpeak AT3. I just put tire a mount on my truck cover( Diamond back ) and bought another matching rim to mount a second spare. I always go into hunting season with two full size spares.

In any event I am not crazy about these tires and I plan on swapping them out late summer. I plan on buying six new tires.
Looking at 265/60/20 all 10 ply AT style.

I pretty much narrowed it down to
Toyos Open Country A/T III
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KOs
Micky Thompson Baja Legend EXP

Anyone have any experience with any of these ?
BFG KO's suck ass. I'd give cooper's a look. But seriously...they're tires. Pick one. Or six in your case.

I’ve got Falkens on my Tacoma and they handled Colorado snow and mountains with no problem. Think of all the beer you could buy with the money you plan to spend on tires.

BFG KO's suck ass. I'd give cooper's a look. But seriously...they're tires. Pick one. Or six in your case.
Actually I’ve found KO2s to be a very good snow and ice tire. They aren’t great in mud, and all you have to do is look at the tread design to see why. However, for rocks, snow, ice, etc they perform very well. I’ve burned up several sets without issue, and lots of miles in very inclement weather.

Actually I’ve found KO2s to be a very good snow and ice tire. They aren’t great in mud, and all you have to do is look at the tread design to see why. However, for rocks, snow, ice, etc they perform very well. I’ve burned up several sets without issue, and lots of miles in very inclement weather.
I haven't found anything that doesn't deafen you on the highway to be good in mud...KO2's aren't good in it.

Currently have a set of nitto ridgegrapplers on my work pickup. Have had 5 flats in 8500miles and two of the 5 the tire has need replaced because of the size of the hole. Putting a new set on tomorrow of Cooper Discover ST Maxx. Have them on my personal pickup and they have been great in the snow and ice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back