PEAX Equipment

Tires....again.

Well if your truck eats tires, save money and stay away from the expensive popular all terrains. I just recently bought a set of 275/70r18 (33’s) for 130 bucks a tire at Walmart. Get them mounted and balanced for 10 bucks a corner and you have a pretty good set of tires for under 600 dollars. Btw Walmart gives you a road hazard warranty with replacement which I’ve cashed in on (included with the mount and balance at no extra cost).

A9F7B182-19AD-4735-95D8-DBFB0ADD707D.jpeg3308EC72-E131-488D-B61E-1F9EF242B844.jpeg

The new Yokahama Geolander AT-max are excellent in snow,rain, on the dirt roads and pretty quiet for aggressive tires. They do load with mud some but I can still drive the greased slime we now have with the daily thaws.
Got chains last week cause it will be one of those muddy winters in NM. Good we need the moisture.
Picking up the Ford today after my bud took it back to Alb. to replace the limited slip clutches in rear end. He did not like the sound he heard last week when I went by to see them. Said mud packed into E-brakes too,even after I hose blasted them.

Most folks here going with the Cooper ST Max now...something to consider if these do not wear well.

Well my Cooper's are pretty much done for, beat the shit out of them for over 2 years in the mountains, one is ready to blow out through the steel belts so unfortunately I need to get new tires for the old '02 silverado, just turned 300k miles on it. After reading all the reviews think I'm gonna go with the Yokohama Geolanders X-AT like hank4elk is using. How are they wearing for you hank?

So far so good on wear. One year.
The gravel has knicked them a bit,but nothing like the old Geolanders AT's and others. Trying to keep 70lbs in them and that helps,but the rear is looser.
They load a bit in some mud,but never slid off the road loaded. Just squirrely like mud is...good in snow,slippery on plain wet ice,but everything is. I have chains,have not put them on.
Did get stuck in my flooded streambed bottom crossing in 2x recently,too slow,tires just spun....lol

Dad always told me to travel in 2WD, that way I still had 4WD to get out. Was that true for you?
I really usually used to....lol I could not get out in L4,had to pull myself out. I've taken to driving in 4x in most winter snow on the dirt roads now in NM...the conditions are worse than you think,you cannot get stuck here, better safe than sorry now....lol
Seen too many local trucks with sides creased in from sliding off these roads in mud & snow...and bad drivers.

I think it's a bit late and I didn't read everything on here so sorry if there's a repeat, but I'm going on 50k with some General AT2s and they'll definitely make 60. Been a great tire on my Xterra. It's a lot lighter than an F-150 and I do mostly midwest driving.

No mention of Goodyears yet. I have the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar and am sitting at 65,000 miles on my 16 F150. Will run them to next fall so they will get around 80,000 I am guessing. Mostly pavement, but they have been on 8 trips to the mountains pulling trailers and lots of gravel in MN (which is not as bad as western states gravel thank goodness). They have wore perfectly. I will go with them again. my .02.

I was looking at these for my F150. I have 83K on the goodyears that came on my 2015 brand new. Going to put new ones on before I head west this year

I now have 77,000 on the Wranglers. Still life left in them but probably not what I want to go through a hunting season and a Minnesota winter with. So they will probably get replaced with 80-some thousand on them.

Currently have Goodyear Duratracs on my Tundra and Cooper S/T Maxx on the work rig. No complaints on either of them.

Which do you like better in the winter?
The Duratracs. They’re definitely a softer rubber compound than the S/T Maxx and they grip icy highways better in my opinion. I don’t have either one siped, the Duratracs haven’t needed it and I don’t want to sipe the work truck tires because of all the scoria and broken granite I drive on every day.

I should say both are load range E, the Tundra has 275/70/18 at 40 PSI, the Chevy has 285/70/17 at 50 PSI.

Last edited:
What sidewall ply rating are the Duratracs? What is your reason for not siping? mtmuley

What sidewall ply rating are the Duratracs? What is your reason for not siping? mtmuley
Duratracs are a 2 ply sidewall, which is one of the reasons I use the Coopers with a 3 ply sidewall on my work rig. I haven’t felt the need to sipe the Duratracs because I’ve been happy with how they perform on packed snow. Haven’t siped the Coopers because probably 80% of the miles I put on that truck are rocky as hell central WY BLM roads and the only tires I’ve had siped (old style BFG KO) chunked out in a hurry under similar conditions.

The Coopers are still great winter tires, and I’m sure they’d be better if siped. I just prefer the Duratracs for winter.

Last edited:
Yeah, siping them for driving those kind of roads will shred them in a hurry.

I'd sipe the Coopers and run them. Best tire on snow and ice I've ever used. Put AT3's on the wife's rig as she doesn't need a heavy tire. Not far behind the Maxx as far as ice. mtmuley

I'd sipe the Coopers and run them. Best tire on snow and ice I've ever used. Put AT3's on the wife's rig as she doesn't need a heavy tire. Not far behind the Maxx as far as ice. mtmuley
I’ve worn out 2 sets of A/T3s and I liked them a lot for an all around tire. Subjectively I prefer the Duratracs by a bit for most of the winter conditions I use them in. My hunting partner just put a set of Falken AT3W on his rig and I’m interested to try them out too.

Yeah, siping them for driving those kind of roads will shred them in a hurry.
Yep, I barely get 30,000 miles out of any tire for work and they’re in rough shape by the time I replace them. Usually just throw on a new set every fall.

Way back when I always used the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain, no longer made. That was a heck of a tire. Then I went to the Les Schwab TXR. Another great tire, but discontinued. After years of crappy Toyos and others, I settled on the ST Maxx. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back