Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tires....again.

Get to try the Yokahama Geolander X-AT's in some mud today.
2 days of rain & a drive to town will be a decent test to see how they load up or ride.
So far they are excellent on pavement, wet & dry, dry/damp gravel, rocky roads. Hauled a load of wood out of a Gila canyon bottom Fri. Good under loads. Excellent cross country.
They are very quiet for aggressive treads.

F150 in Northerm Ontario, running lots of snow, gravel bush roads and daily highway commute.

I had General Grabber AT2s and they were great, weren't expensive and lasted a long time. Still on the 2000 F150 that I took off the road at 450K and is now our farm beater. New truck had Michelin LTX AT2s when I bought it. One trip down a gravel road and I had a flat. Went to Yokohama Geolanders and they were good, but tore out a sidewall on a mine road and couldn't find a replacement locally. I sold two of them and kept one as my spare. Now I'm running BFG KO2s, 10 ply, and no issues since. They were expensive, but our bush roads tend to have sharp rock and aren't friendly to tires. The KO2s are great in the snow for what they are, I see them as mostly excelling on the gravel and highway driving, but they'll keep you out of trouble if you don't get them all full of mud or snow. The Grabbers will accept studs, if I can find a set I would consider running them studded as a winter tire, save the wear and tear on the KO2s for the dry seasons.

Get to try the Yokahama Geolander X-AT's in some mud today.
2 days of rain & a drive to town will be a decent test to see how they load up or ride.
So far they are excellent on pavement, wet & dry, dry/damp gravel, rocky roads. Hauled a load of wood out of a Gila canyon bottom Fri. Good under loads. Excellent cross country.
They are very quiet for aggressive treads.

I went on the search for tires last week and wanted those but discovered some Nitto Ridge Grapplers 10-ply for way cheap. Hopefully the bargain bin pricing doesn't disappoint because those X-ATs sound great

So far so good.
Did have to put it in 4x to get out of ranch. Lugs clear out well & did not need 4x on Omega rd. ,but Graveyard was a mess. No problemo.

I use 10 ply or E/Q rated tires now in NM, on both my trucks. Get too many flats otherwise. There are only a few paved roads here too...........and many miles to anywhere on the paved ones.
Last GY Duratracs lasted maybe 20k & got lots of flats.
Never seen a BFG AT tire that was not loud & did not load up with mud....here,in NM.
Both high priced ,for the name.............IMHO.
Michelin needs a real AT. Best mostly hwy tire I have owned.Biggest price for name about too.........lol
The reason I carry two spares on Western trips is due to a dirt “state highway” in NM. Blew out two at one time. The gal that helped us out had three spares in the bed of her truck. She was a local.

The reason I carry two spares on Western trips is due to a dirt “state highway” in NM. Blew out two at one time. The gal that helped us out had three spares in the bed of her truck. She was a local.
I remember BF @ the garage 2 days in a week for flats on a rental truck a couple years ago here. I think they were P rated,PARK ON PAVEMENT...lol
I have gotten some roof screws & 20penny spikes that go right thru 10 plies. Roads are so bad you don't even know if you get a flat,till it's too late sometimes. I am going to get extra rims for the spares I have saved, so I can carry more than one spare. For both trucks.
I am always stopping to pee & check my tires now....LOL Old age has some positives.

Those x-at’s look like a great tire. I ran geolander at’s a few years back and loved them! Took them on multiple elk hunts and they were one of the few tires I never did get a flat on...

They wore great too... when I sold the truck they had around 65k on them... I wouldn’t have wanted to trust them on an elk hunt at that point but they were still rolling...

P rated - that’s hilarious

I would go with Firestone transforce at. I used to run them on my f350. They lasted me over 80k miles every time. Work great in all weather conditions. BFG's are worthless in just a tiny bit of mud. I have a set of nitto trail grapplers now. This will be the 4th season in Colorado with them. 36k miles on them and still have over half the tread left.

No mention of Goodyears yet. I have the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar and am sitting at 65,000 miles on my 16 F150. Will run them to next fall so they will get around 80,000 I am guessing. Mostly pavement, but they have been on 8 trips to the mountains pulling trailers and lots of gravel in MN (which is not as bad as western states gravel thank goodness). They have wore perfectly. I will go with them again. my .02.

Funny how guys brag about tire life. That's great on the pavement. Cut it in half for a tire to work in the mountains. mtmuley
Yup got 28K out of my last set of Hankook ATMs I could have gotten probably another 5-10K out of the but they were 6ply and I cut a gash in one of them while driving in the rocks.

I have same issues in SE idaho. Got a flat tire this weekend on the mountain that was fun. I was trying to get one more hunting season out if these tires. Only 35k on them. So I ordered some of these this time to try hoping they last longer.View attachment 113679
You know mastercraft is nothing but a cooper tire with a different name and tread pattern. I used to build tires at cooper tire. I always laugh at people when they try to tell me tire x is a better tire cause it has a different blend of rubber or some nonsense.

No mention of Goodyears yet. I have the Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar and am sitting at 65,000 miles on my 16 F150. Will run them to next fall so they will get around 80,000 I am guessing. Mostly pavement, but they have been on 8 trips to the mountains pulling trailers and lots of gravel in MN (which is not as bad as western states gravel thank goodness). They have wore perfectly. I will go with them again. my .02.
I tried them. So did local warden. They were good but did not last at all here in NM. Sidewalls felt mushy & they got torn up after a year & a half. I never got a flat tho....

I have the toyo AT right now and I dont like them. I really prefer the bf tko AT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back