Tire chain storage?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

How are you guys storing your tire chains and other miscellaneous gear in the back of your truck? I used to use a 5 gallon bucket, but it tended to bounce around and crack. Was looking at some 20mm ammo cans as an option. Any other ideas?

I just bought a lockable plastic tool box from tractor supply and threw all my stuff in that. I have a tonneau cover but I am still going to secure it to the bed.

I use a heavy duty back pack and store it the backseat.

The pack shapes to the area you store it - it sits rt behind my drivers seat on the floor. Heavy enough it does not move and we put the youngest one in that spot if the truck is full of people. She doesnt need much leg room. Can always throw it in the back if needed.

I switched to this route to stop rust. Backpack is heavy enough material to catch the snow melt off the chains without getting floor wet but breathes enough so the chains dry off in a few hours in the cab with heater. Hated getting rust all over everything when i stored them in metal container in bed of truck. The pack has a small front pocket that stores bungies, extra bungies and lots of s-clips and caribeaners used to snug up extra links.

I have a tote that I keep all of my tools, tow rope, and chains in. Plenty heavy enough to not bounce around yet easy to move and pack.

5 gallon bucket with lid, cargo straped in. Also in bucket are my 2tow straps a couple of small 2x4 pieces to help shim jack if needed and some odd tools.

C

I also use milk crates. The bed of my truck has slots for a 2x8 across the bed that is just the right width for milk crates. I have a row of crates to hold everything from snow chains to extra oil and antifreeze, tow chain, trand fluid, brake fluid, wood blocks and all manner of misc stuff that I may or may not need but always have it.

i throw them above my spare tire. They ride great I think my grandpa started this.

I’ve used ammo cans in my old work trucks. I just use an old action packer that the top broke off of now.

I had kept mine in a bucket but having to break the ice off before installing wasn’t good.
I also had it drummed into me about limiting what I keep inside the cab, as a friend had his neck broken by jetsam inside the cab during a rollover.

I didn’t have under seat storage in my Dodge. I do in the Toyota. Mine now reside in a brown paper bag under the back seat. That PVC tube is a great though.

Kept them in the heavy duty milk crates for years without complaint. Ended up getting a decked system so everything is stored in there now.

Mine came with a bag. After each season I clean them, dry them and spray them down with WD 40 before I put them away. Then I keep them in that bag in my large canvas bag that includes all of my recovery gear in the bed of my truck. When I go out I always pack it last so it is right at the tailgate when needed.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back