Timing to contact regional biologists re winter/populations

Rackmastr

Hey Guys,

Looking at drawing my wife down in the Red Desert this year near Rawlins, and I'm curious on timing when a person should be reaching out regarding populations/winter severity/etc in doing research?

We're pretty committed to one zone, but nice to check in and also have a couple other options if needed. Is March too early to be making these calls? I know in the past I've seen a report produced from each region for next year's tag allocations, etc.

Just thought I'd check in on what timing would be ideal for these types of calls?

I talked with a biologist last week about a different question but I did ask him how the animals were doing, and he seemed pretty confident they were going to be fine in the area I was asking about. I will check gain before applying as March can change things.

Just wait till regional biologists do the brief, you dont need to call. They will put a slide show online and brief every zone and propose any changes to tags. I think usually comes out april or early may, just watch website.

Been a pretty easy winter, both no snow and warm, except for the october freak storm (2+ feet here). Though lots can, and hopefully still does (for the drought) happen with snow. The Big Horns don't even have much.

Wait about a month as right now they are busy with the annual season setting process. During this process they will determine the number of licenses that will be available in each hunt area.

The traditional season setting meetings will occur again this year during the middle of March where the biologists will present the proposed license allocations for each hunt area at public meetings. Those allocations will then go to the Wy. Game and Fish Commission in early April and be finalized at that meeting.

ClearCreek

I talked to a biologist today, and he shared with me what the proposed tag allocation was going to be for a unit. I think I'd agree that you might as well wait since all of this information ends up being public anyway, but they definitely have a general idea of what things are looking like now.

Thanks guys!

Down to 2 zones in our selection that are both pretty high point zones but in opposite parts of the State. Will keep an eye for the Powerpoint slides like they did last year about tag allocation

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back