Caribou Gear Tarp

More Montana Sheep Captures

BigHornRam

Sharing the herd: As Montana's bighorns thrive, biologist capture animals for transplant elsewhere
By PERRY BACKUS of the Missoulian

Minutes after being captured in the mountains surrounding West Riverside, a bighorn sheep is unloaded from a helicopter to be studied by veterinarians and biologists from Montana and Utah. The sheep are being rounded up and relocated to the northeast corner of Utah by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.
Photo by LINDA THOMPSON/Missoulian

WEST RIVERSIDE - Its eyes covered and legs securely hobbled, the young bighorn ewe lies almost perfectly still atop a makeshift platform built of hay bales.

A host of different hands are quickly and quietly going about their jobs of taking blood, swabbing saliva and performing a variety of other examinations. A collar equipped with a small silver radio is attached around its neck and a red numbered tag pinned to its ear.

After uttering hardly a word, a pair of Carhartt-clad men pick up the ewe and pack it to a nearby horse trailer. A minute later, the hobbles are off and the hood removed, and the bighorn settles into its new home for the next couple of days.

It has plenty of company.

By the end of Wednesday, the crew gathered at the nearly empty log yard at the Stimson Lumber mill at Bonner worked over a total of 27 bighorn sheep plucked off the nearby hillside by a helicopter crew from New Zealand.

That total included seven rams that were either yearlings or 2-year-olds and 20 ewes ranging from yearlings to somewhere around 10.

Over the next couple of days, biologists from both Montana and Utah are hoping to capture up to 40 bighorns from both the Bonner and lower Rock Creek areas. Within a few days, the bighorns will be released in their new home in the Flaming Gorge area of northeastern Utah.

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is footing the bill for the operation.

Bob Henderson, a local biologist with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, is happy to see the bighorns go. Henderson estimated the bighorn herd at Bonner had grown to nearly 150 and was starting to take a toll on shrubbery and other tasty morsels in the West Riverside area.

“We get quite a few calls from people around West Riverside,” Henderson said. “Most people kind of like having them around, but there's a few who weren't quite so happy. ... Some people have some legitimate complaints about what the sheep were doing to their shrubbery.”

The ideal herd size for the Bonner area is probably closer to 100, he said.

Concerns over nibbled shrubbery isn't the only or most important reason biologists around the state want to keep bighorn sheep numbers in check.

Montanans have seen some of the finest herds of bighorn sheep go through dramatic die-offs over the past decade. Some speculate the die-offs might be brought on when herd numbers swell and habitat suffers.

After several mild winters, Montana's bighorn populations have rebounded to the point that some herds are getting on the verge of being too large. In years past, the state might have moved the overflow to places where numbers were down or maybe even a new spot or two.

But that's not going to work this time around. There aren't any new places, and all the old places are pretty much filled up.

So Montana is looking to other states to take the overflow.

There have been plenty of states willing to step up and take a few dozen sheep to help replenish their own herds.

Bighorn sheep from the Missouri Breaks and the Rocky Mountain Front are headed to Nebraska and North Dakota. Sheep from Thompson Falls are going to Wyoming. And Utah will be getting bighorns from Bonner, Rock Creek, Sula and the Rocky Mountain Creek.

“Right now, the most secure bighorn sheep populations in the lower 48 states are here in Montana,” said FWP biologist Ray Vinkey.

Credit that both to decades of hard work by a corps of dedicated volunteers and professional biologists.

In the 1960s, the only large remnant herd of bighorn sheep in the state was in the Sun River area. About then, a few biologists and some others began capturing a few from there and relocating them into areas considered historic sheep habitat.

Over the years, the number of herds in Montana grew.

The Bonner herd was started in 1987 with about 30 sheep from the Sun River herd. In 1996, 30 bighorns from that herd were transplanted to the Elkhorn Mountains, which has since become its own success story.

“Montana has been very successful in its translocation efforts with bighorn sheep,” Vinkey said. “It's a real legacy to the sportsmen of this state.”

Montana's not alone in its efforts to restore bighorn sheep populations.

Significant changes in habitat, competition from livestock and over-hunting had nearly wiped out bighorn sheep in Utah by 1970, said Charlie Greenwood, a Utah wildlife biologist.

The state has been working to bring back the breed since 1983. So far, it's transplanted five different populations. The 40 bighorns being gathered near Missoula this week will make six.

Greenwood said the Montana bighorns will find a different, but inviting landscape, when they arrive at their new home. A 20,000 acre fire in 2002 opened up the countryside and made some excellent sheep habitat.

“It was reseeded after the fire and there's just some incredible feed there for them now,” he said.

Utah now boasts three different subspecies of bighorns, including Montana's Rocky Mountain version, as well as Californians and desert sheep.

Neil Anderson, FWP's wildlife lab supervisor, worked with others to ensure the sheep leaving Montana were in prime condition. His crews also gathered samples of blood and saliva that could help uncover valuable information about bighorn sheep.

“Every sheep we handle gets the same treatment,” Anderson said. “All the information we gather provides us with some good baseline information that we can use if something new ever pops up.”

On Wednesday, Anderson has teamed with David Wick, the president of BVS Inc. of Stevensville to try some cutting-edge technology to detect different viruses carried by bighorn sheep.

Pneumonia and other respiratory diseases are often associated with the large die-offs experienced periodically by bighorns. The researchers hope that a test developed by Wick's company will help unlock some of the mysteries about how the sheep react to different viruses.

Wick's company has developed a new method for detecting and identifying viruses by separating them out according to size.

“This is cutting-edge technology,” Wick said. “We've been working with the military. This is the first time we've tried this application with wildlife.”

Anderson is hopeful about the information that might be gleaned from the tests.

“Right now, there's still a lot we don't know about what triggers these disease outbreaks,” Anderson said.

The use of New Zealand crews to capture the sheep chaps my lower region.

Our sportsman's club RCF&W ass. helped the FW&P catch around 60 sheep at Anaconda, that cost only the use of their own helicopter pilot and crew.

The state has always had lots of help when capturing game animals. Paying New Zealand crews is exspensive.

Just as Moosie helped capture mule deer, the state should lean on it's sportsman for help, and do the work for as cheep as possible. I bet the helicopter from New Zealand cost more that cost to run.

Most the sheep around here could be caught in corrals.

Shoots Poorly,

Can you do anything else but whine? The states that are getting the sheep are paying for the copter time....not Montana. Biologist and volunters have come up from the recieving states to transport the sheep back in trailers. They don't have an unlimited amout of time to wait for the sheep to be captured. Once they are captured it is important to get them to the release site quickly. And David Wick is voluntering his time and services for the virus work as well. FNAWS is picking up his travel expenses......no FWP money being used.

Also did you catch this line?

“Montana has been very successful in its translocation efforts with bighorn sheep,” Vinkey said. “It's a real legacy to the sportsmen of this state.”

The success of Montana's wild sheep herds is credited to the sportsmen of the state.......not the anti-hunter tree hugger crowd. Pretty good article that shows what the hunter/sportsman/conservationist is doing for wildlife in this state and others. What say you?

Any idea what we are getting in trade? Maybe some of those 400 class bulls they have in Utah. A couples of free desert sheep tags?:D Most likely a whole town of prarie dogs:eek:

Maybe we should set up the New Zealand chopper team to go down and wrasstle us up a few prairie dog towns. Or, better yet, we could have the BYU football team come up to MSU and UM to give camps on how Div. 1 football is played. :D

Saw a show that was somewhat fair for a change on the local PBS station about the dinky California Bighorn herd and the problems being created by the banning of cougar hunting because of Prop 119. It seems that the big kitties can't keep their paws off the sheep partly because there are so many of them because they are being "protected." Well, not anymore when it comes to the Bighorns here, and a few lions are getting popped. Maybe sanity will partially return, because even the kitty-hugging Mountain Lion Foundation agrees that the cats are causing problems for the sheep... AS IF THAT WASN'T THEIR PLAN ALL ALONG. Seems they can't protect their hungry cougar poster-chlidren when they get into too much mischief.

Gotta love it we have to many sheep so we give them to the utards? This is totally off the hook but I bet if they gave out a few more tags, we just might be able to downsize the herd!

Then Montanan's are going to have to start putting in for more ewe tags.....maybe FWP can start offering ewe tags seperate from the ram draw to encourage ewe hunting. I know there is a bill going through to reduce the ewe tags back to $75 from the current $125. A number of people that drew a ewe tag last year backed away when they found out it would cost them and additional $50.

Utah FNAWS has been very good about funding a number of Montana sheep projects. Projects like a recent land purchase near Anaconda and a grazing allotment buyout in the Beartooths. We scratch their back...they scratch ours.

We've talked about this here in the past as well. A number of people, including myself would like to see more ram tags issued, but end the season prior to the rut. Would give more opportunity for a REAL sheep hunt, but for some reason there is resistance to this from the FWP. Send your comments to them....maybe they'll listen if enough people write to them.

Paul I don't disagree with much you have mentioned, but I do have a couple questions.
Do you know how many people "backed away" after seeing the $125 price tags? Seems to me the $50 difference would not keep from going on a sheep hunt even if it was a ewe hunt (that's just me though). In defense of the FWP, if those that applied read the regs, there should have been no surprise.

Looking at 2005 stats, looks like 2 units were undersubscribed. Do you know if this included 2nd choice apps?

thanks man....

Can you do anything else but whine? The states that are getting the sheep are paying for the copter time....not Montana. Biologist and volunters have come up from the recieving states to transport the sheep back in trailers. They don't have an unlimited amout of time to wait for the sheep to be captured. Once they are captured it is important to get them to the release site quickly. And David Wick is voluntering his time and services for the virus work as well. FNAWS is picking up his travel expenses......no FWP money being used.
Again moron, you try to put chit in my mouth I didnt say.

I said I don't like the state bringing in New Zealanders, that's a fact. They are very costly, (you can't tell me that we couldn't catch the sheep for less) That was this issue. I know that they would have to move them maybe in one trip. We caught all the sheep for two transplants in one day pee brain.

What say you?

Your an idiot!

BHR,

You said, "see more ram tags issued, but end the season prior to the rut."

That wont happen because it wouldnt make any difference in the success rate in most all the sheep units.

Over-all sheep hunting in Montana is not a "real" sheep hunt...no matter when you hunt them.

huntinforaclue,

I know that hunting sheep in Montana is a piece of cake in 95% of the units.

The sheep are dumb, not hunted much, and it wouldnt matter if you had seasons anytime from August-November. The success rate would still be 100%, so what difference would it make if the seasons were earlier? Plus, the MTFWP has set up seasons and available permits based on 100% success rates. Their goal is not to provide maximum opportunity for sheep, rather maximum quality. The MTFWP are aware of just how easy sheep hunting is in Montana and that just shuffling seasons would make no difference. Just because you dont get to hunt during the rut...sure doesnt mean sheep hunting would be tougher.

Want proof?

This is a ram I found for a buddy of mine a couple years ago in Petty Creek. It was a good ram...10.5 years old with both horns over 40 inches. Shot it in early November out of a group of 5 rams. There was an older ram in the bunch that my buddy passed on, it was killed the next year and was 13.5 years old.

tomsram3.jpg

Last season my Dad drew a permit for the Anaconda area and killed this ram. Again, shot in early November well before the rut. This ram was 12 other rams.

IMG_0763.JPG

When you have seasons in Montana for sheep would make no difference. Just because you had the seasons end before the rut, wouldnt mean you could afford to issue any more ram permits.

Buzz,

I'll amend my comments to prior to November instead of prior to the rut. But your probably right. Even at that the sucess rates would still be very high.

Craig,

I'm not sure how many people backed out on the ewe hunts this past year, but it was a factor and they most likely had 2nd choices step up to fill the quota. They gave out 10 ewe tags in Lower Rock creek where my wife drew. They just hauled out 42 more. Would they have been able to fill 52 ewe tags at $125 a pop just to get this one herd back in balance? And how about all the other herds that are starting to get over populated? I agree that most people should read the regs more closely, but unfortunately many don't. I hope that the people that did backout on the additional $50 did not get their $75 refunded.....not sure how that worked out.

I wish we could find some more sites to establish new herds with our abundance of sheep. It's a difficult process however. A lot of bureacracy has delayed the Prior Mountains from getting a supplemental transplant this year but looks like it will get some sheep next year. There is fear of supplementing some of the struggling unlimited area "native" herds because of the native sheep's extremely limited resistance to disease that could be passed on by the transplanted sheep. But overall Montana is very blessed with our wild sheep herds!

Shoots Straight,

You have trouble absorbing anything I say, don't you.

One other comment......heaven forbid Montana has a massive state wide dieoff, I have faith that all the states now getting Montana's surplus sheep would give back to us as much as they possibly could if we needed it. Working together to improve our wildlife doesn't need to end at the state line, or even the US border for that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back