Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

time away from the camera

photofin

There is nothing like being in the woods with little more than a bow in one hand and a 60 pound pack full of supplies on my back, 40 of which one doesn't need. All for that one chance at an elk. Even better for me is that I don't have the extra pounds of camera gear hanging over my shoulder.

I'm trying to beat the buzzer with archery season coming to an end shortly and really only have a day and a half to hunt. So why the 60 pounds? You can never have too much crap in the pack. My tent is in about 6 inches of snow and its currently dumping more on top of me.... so that extra gear and 20 pounds of food may come in handy.

After a 2 and a half hour hike in I got camp set up, fought the whisperlight stove for a half hour, major carbon buildup....5 years and running and I still haven't cleaned it....nothing a little banging on the tree couldn't fix. Made enough dinner for 5 people and ate it all myself. And now I'm sitting here listening to the marching band parade around my stomach.

Plenty of tracks in the snow....wish me luck...after all I'm usually behind the camera...not the trigger.
I have a whole new respect for Randy after trying to post this from my blackberry.

Best of luck. Some of have to work tomorrow and are jealous that you will be playing in the morning. Go get 'em.

Sounds like fun to me. Nothing better than fresh snow to hunt in. Good luck!

Fresh snow...great!
Mule deer snorting next to my tent for an hour at 2 in the morning....great!
50 fresh mule deer tracks....great!
Spotted 25 mule deer...great!
0 fresh elk tracks...not great
0 elk sightings...those mule deer are starting to look tasty!

Conclusion of short hunt

So this is what I saw.......

oyowebelk.jpg

a few years ago on my drive to go hunting.

And this is what I saw this trip.

oyowebelk2.jpg

nothing but fresh snow and no tracks. you just never know...beats sitting in the office though.

I want to hunt in that first photo.

Actually I'll take either one because, you're right, being there would be much better than sitting in front of this computer.

All you need is one. Stay positive. Looking forward to seeing some pics. Good luck.

That's what you get for not taking me with you. Havn't you had enough snow and blizzards already this year?

Can't wait to do the cameraman episode featuring Mr. Troy (photofin) and Loren (Beer Guy). I will run the cameras and Troy and Loren will do the shooting. I can see a few examples of what can unfold on that hunt.

Scenario 1: Big buck walks into frame. Camera guy asks if I am on him. I am on him, but don't give the OK, and the buck walks away, never to be seen again.

Scenario 2: Weather is terrible, but the light for filming is really good. I ask them to climb that big cliff, as it will make for great transition footage. They do it. When they get back, I apologize that I double punched the record button and it was on pause. Gotta do it again.

Scenario 3: Deer is far away and moving, and I am yelling, "I'm on 'em, I'm on 'em. Take 'em." They look at me, knowing we can't shoot beyond 200 yards, for filming purposes, and not at moving animals. I act irate, insinuating that they blew the best video footage of the season.

Scenario 4: All is set up perfectly. Big buck is coming in at 100 yards. Just as they safety is clicked off, I stand up and say, "Stop, your audio is shot. Dead batteries." Deer hears the comotion and runs off.

Scenario 5: Interviews - I ask them some of the stupidest questions in the world, then stand behind the camera doubled over in a belly laugh, then yell at those guys for not being able to maintain their composure while answering the interview questions.

Scenario 6: Really cold day, following a really warm day. I tell them for continuity, they have to wear those warm weather clothes from the day before, in the event we have to match some of the day two footage with day one. They get hypothermia. I follow them back to camp, making some sort of snide remark about them being pussies.

Scenario 7: Boone and Crockett bull is spotted 400 yards away, and moving. They are in hot pursuit. I stop them and tell them we need to do the transition of them approaching the elk, and I must get in front for that scene. Being a beginner, it takes me ten minutes to set up the scene, in the mean time, B&C bull jumps the fence and is now on private land.

Scenario 8: A small forkie buck comes by, after having just messed up the big buck in Scenario 1. I tell them that this will be world class footage, so take this forkie. They comply, and forkie hits the dirt. I smile and say, "Hey, were here to produce TV. Hunting is secondary." I walk away laughing, knowing the footage is no better than with the big buck.

Scenario 9; We take their truck to the hills. I see a spot that look almost impossible, and if they can make it, will result in at least $1,200 of damage to their vehicle. I tell them we need this shot for the show. I get out with all the cameras and tripods. We are rolling, and I give them the sign, but tell them to take it slow, so we can capture it even better. They start to sink in the middle of the creek, and floor it. Impact with the opposite bank of the creek results in something similar to a moose-vehicle collision. I smile, give the thumbs up, and say "MONEY!"

Scenario 10: I sit in the back of thier truck. Before getting out, I leave a half peeled, almost rotten, banana in the compartment of the door, and put a half eaten package of yogurt under the back seat. Can't wait 'til it warms up and they start wondering where those terrible smells are coming from.

Scenario 11: .............................

Any of you have an interest of seeing these camera guys be the hosts of an episode? I think it would be fun. Troy can dish it out with the best of them, so I can't wait for my chance to dish a little of if back to him.

In all seriousness, Troy is an amazing hunter. His, and Loren's, camera skills are without compare in the outdoor TV industry.

Troy, I hope you get your elk before Sunday.

Randy all of those scenarios are hilarious. I think you should make it happen as it would make great video. So have all of those happened to you?

So have all of those happened to you?

At least once for each of them. Or, at least I blame them for it. And, the list gets much longer and more hilarious, but we can't let out all the goods before we film, edit, and air it.

Wow, that list should inspire everyone to aspire to hunting television greatness. ;)

Great list.........priceless. We know none of those have ever happened ; )

Being able to list those scenarios is the mark of a seasoned reality TV producer/actor/director.

I can relate to a handful of those scenarios and would gladly take the other camera to help produce this masterpeice:D

eh... I have enough trouble with my hunting partner and I finding elk none the less all those "exciting" variables!

Maybe make a show of the "makings of OYOA"! LOL! Bloopers sure bring a sense of reality to a show :) That would be a hoot! :)

Enjoy your hunt and best of success in your hunt - look forward to the pics!

Loren and I will surprise you all with our hunting skills, and Randy I'm sure will make a cameraman's job look like it is one of the hardest jobs in the world....which it is.

Solutions to Randy's comments:

1: Use his truck...that way the damage is on him.

2: Hold off on the first 50 perfect opportunities waiting for big hank. Go home empty handed or shoot a scrub in the end.

3: Eat too many Dove Chocolates, get sick, and delay the hunt.

4: Call the whole thing off, clean Randy's truck out being as half the crap, including old banana peels are hidden under his seat.

more to come...I'm just getting warmed up.

Looking forward to the cameraman series though if it happens....that is if I'm not fired.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back