Thrift store packs for hauling meat

mountainlaurel3

I'm in the market for a thrift store meat hauling pack. What would you look for? An old school frame pack? A big burly backpacking pack? I have a variety of packs, but mostly for going light - I'll hunt with one of my current packs but want something bigger/beefier in case I have bone-in elk quarters to move.

You may say "budget, buy XXX $400 pack" but my wife and I just bought a house with many projects, it ain't happening this year. If this is going to be the second year in a row I don't buy any new skis, I'm not going to get a nice pack for an event that likely won't happen (I'm a new and lousy hunter).

I'm in the market for a thrift store meat hauling pack. What would you look for? An old school frame pack? A big burly backpacking pack? I have a variety of packs, but mostly for going light - I'll hunt with one of my current packs but want something bigger/beefier in case I have bone-in elk quarters to move.

You may say "budget, buy XXX $400 pack" but my wife and I just bought a house with many projects, it ain't happening this year. If this is going to be the second year in a row I don't buy any new skis, I'm not going to get a nice pack for an event that likely won't happen (I'm a new and lousy hunter).
Whatever you can find with some good support will probably work. You live in CO right? Where about?

I'd be looking at Dana Designs, pre-@2005 Arc'teryx Bora, Lowe Alpine. The only thrift store type external frame pack that I'd use would be the Dana Terraframe or Longbed.

Whatever you can find with some good support will probably work. You live in CO right? Where about?
Yep, Durangoish. Very good thrift store possibilities for well-built old packs like those mentioned by SnowyMountaineer. The new house has access to FS with good deer and grouse habitat, if only I knew what I was doing...

I have an older Osprey internal and comfortably packed a quarter on my first elk. Any large, comfortable, well made pack with a large enough cavity (the Osprey is a zip open) should be fine. Good luck with the thrift store search, around here anything remotely outdoor related disappears instantly.

Yep, Durangoish. Very good thrift store possibilities for well-built old packs like those mentioned by SnowyMountaineer. The new house has access to FS with good deer and grouse habitat, if only I knew what I was doing...
Sounds good, I was gonna say if your near Denver I’ll let you borrow a frame Pack meat hauler

1601674488258.png
EMS pack frame I bought at a Gear Swap. 30 ft of BTM 1/4 inch rope
Basket Hitch
Plus Crowsfoot

Thanks, folks, that was exactly the type of info I was looking for. I should be able to find something serviceable, just in case. Burly, old internal frames are fairly easy to find around here.

Sounds good, I was gonna say if your near Denver I’ll let you borrow a frame Pack meat hauler

Thanks for the offer anyway!

I upgraded to the MR but still bring the frame of my old Kelty as a spare and would not hesitate the use the Kelty on the next deer or elkl. As I get older, I spend more money on things both because I have it, and stuff can (not always) be better. But the older inexpensive pack worked fine until I "knew better" too. And really, it is more about it being out-dated, as it wasn't even what I would call an inexpensive pack when I bought it in 1998.

Whatever you choose, make sure that the hipbelt really transfers the weight of the pack to your pelvis. Shoulder straps are for balancing the weight, the majority of the load should be carried down low where bone/big muscles are built for the job.

If you get a pack like glasseye suggested, a belt upgrade might make your day nicer. My Jansport‘s hip belt was almost like a seatbelt strap with no padding, and barely adjustable in length. A bit of frame surgery and sewing modifications to add padding and Quick disconnect buckles , and it has become much more comfortable under heavy loads at distance.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at Dana Designs, pre-@2005 Arc'teryx Bora, Lowe Alpine. The only thrift store type external frame pack that I'd use would be the Dana Terraframe or Longbed.
I still use the same Dana Designs I bought new 30 years ago...probably will last a lifetime of heavy use up here in Alaska.
You can buy them used today for less than $200.
Dave_packing.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back