Thrift store packs for hauling meat

I've packed a lot of elk meat in my first actual backpacking backpack, an internal frame Jansport from about '96. Ditto to what others have said about focusing on the hip belt structure and stitching, that's what carries the heavy part best. I've seen that and similar, nicer, newer packs at yard sales for like 20 bucks lately. I imagine the Durango area yard sales would be similar. If you're ever up in GJT, there is a used gear shop on main that has a whole wall of used packs.

$59.99 at my local ranch and farm store. Saw them today.

Works well enough for the few less than half mile pack outs I have done.

Good hip belt and wide enough shoulder straps for me.

Attachments

• 20200822_083556.jpg
    20200822_083556.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191005_124632.jpg
    20191005_124632.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
Thanks for the comments. After a couple rounds of thrift storing/yard sales, still haven't found the right one, and I'm thinking I can get by with my biggest (internal frame) backpacking pack. The only problem is that it is not a typical rucksack style - it has dual vertical zippers the entire length of the pack.

I imagine (however unlikely) carrying a bone-in elk quarter with the shoulder facing down and if necessary the quarter sticking up out of the pack at the top. The pack is 60L, entirely in one main compartment - does that sound like I could be packing out in four or fewer trips?

Thanks for the comments. After a couple rounds of thrift storing/yard sales, still haven't found the right one, and I'm thinking I can get by with my biggest (internal frame) backpacking pack. The only problem is that it is not a typical rucksack style - it has dual vertical zippers the entire length of the pack.

I imagine (however unlikely) carrying a bone-in elk quarter with the shoulder facing down and if necessary the quarter sticking up out of the pack at the top. The pack is 60L, entirely in one main compartment - does that sound like I could be packing out in four or fewer trips?
I think I did one elk in 3.5 loads with a pack like that. It sucks but it's doable.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back