MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Thoughts on Decoys

We have a whole herd of them, not one elk has come to one yet.
Good idea, the bow mounted heads look pretty good.

If you are calling they can help by giving a visual rather than a bull showing up where he heard elk from and there's nothing there. They won't double your success or anything like that though.

I’ve used one. The only benefit I’ve found is they attract attention away from the hunter, making it easier to draw without being noticed. I don’t think I’ve ever had on elk come in because of a decoy though. I don’t use one anymore, as it seems like more trouble than it was worth. There is no way in hell would I have an elk decoy on my bow. Too many knuckleheads out here.

I have used them on a few different hunts and as mentioned above the biggest benefit seems to be the distraction. They can be a pain to carry and unfold but I have had success when there is a caller and a shooter, where the caller has time to set up the decoy. Had a nice bull come straight at the decoy in the Gila, I screwed up the interaction of course, but cool to watch him come to the decoy. Ended up leaving/forgetting the decoy set up in the middle of 16B, I always wonder if anyone ever came across it!

While both guiding and hunting I have had a number of bulls come into the decoy. Especially the Montana cow butt one. I think the bull thinks the cow is leaving him. I had two bulls come in in two days, then I had to leave my buddy to go guide. He really wanted me to leave my decoy with him. Sorry I need this buddy!

We use them... Not bow mount though - doesn't sound like something I would mess with. We have the Montana Decoy brand.
Like mentioned, it creates a bit of distraction. I've had a bull step out of the thick. Not far though enough for my partner to thwack him.

I think it calms the caution a fraction. Prior, it was tough as hell to get them to step out enough or into a good shooting lane.

Seems while calling, I've had cows almost atop me... Bulls are just more a pain and have practically circled us trying to find the breeze. The decoys have helped...

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have had with decoys is that I'm often calling solo. When working a bull, you are constantly moving, trying to get closer and adjusting for changes in thermals. I could never quite figure out the right time to set a decoy up. When I finally committed and set one up, the situation would change and it was time to move, which meant going back for the decoy and packing it up again.

I picked up an Ultimate Predator decoy this offseason that mounts to your bow. We'll see if I end up actually using it though.

Well I did it guys I broke down and got the Miss September

Attachments

• 11C50CA7-B04B-4CF7-BA51-C1DF12C46943.png
    11C50CA7-B04B-4CF7-BA51-C1DF12C46943.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
I always take my Montana decoy archery elk. Have had two bulls come in locked on when calling. Hunting alone it helps. Missed one first shot, he turned to bolt and I called again. He turned broadside at 40 yards locked on again and I killed him. The second I killed at 40 yards. They really want to believe.
I don't always carry the legs and lay it on a bush if I don't.
I think you will like it.
BTW, Montana antelope decoys are fun during the rut too. I almost got run over by a buck with one. Never got a shot, scared the heck out of me...

As said before, these are a great aid when hunting alone - or - even with someone else. I have the elk decoy with the head up (Miss September) and have rigged it to hang from a tree limb rather than using the spikes. I've found that the slight movement from thermals helps to attract a bull's attention to it. Set it up about 20 to 30 yards away from my calling point in a position that any potential approaching bull will see it. It is really killer during September.

Agree with the Antelope decoy mentioned above as well. I've seen this work extremely well.

I broke down and bought a bow mounted style this winter. Reflecting on my past two seasons, I thought it may give me that additional moment to connect when hunting more open timber (chances I've blown multiple times now). Most of my hunts are deep backcountry, but I would have reservations about using it in highly pressured areas. Last thing I want is to inadvertently become a target.

I had the exact same idea, just haven't figured out how i want to do it. Its the same way with turkey hunting i always set my decoys up to move in the wind.

I used a hole punch to put a hole in it's head area. Then, threaded a bungie tie-down through it. Bungie also holds it together when it's folded up too. Then, when I get to where I'm going to use it, I let it pop open and just hang from a suitable tree branch. Bungie helps with the natural movement. When moving, folds up real quick and I have an old camera sling with clips on each end, to hook to the bungies. That lets me throw it over my neck/shoulder to get going quick. Get to another spot and pop it open again.

Only down-side is occasionally, a tree limb will grab the bungies holding it together as I'm hiking and it will pop open on my back. Wife or anyone else with me gets a great laugh for a few moments while I straighten things out. If you want me to, I'll take a picture of it hanging this evening, when I get home, and post it up.

I used a hole punch to put a hole in it's head area. Then, threaded a bungie tie-down through it. Bungie also holds it together when it's folded up too. Then, when I get to where I'm going to use it, I let it pop open and just hang from a suitable tree branch. Bungie helps with the natural movement. When moving, folds up real quick and I have an old camera sling with clips on each end, to hook to the bungies. That lets me throw it over my neck/shoulder to get going quick. Get to another spot and pop it open again.

Only down-side is occasionally, a tree limb will grab the bungies holding it together as I'm hiking and it will pop open on my back. Wife or anyone else with me gets a great laugh for a few moments while I straighten things out. If you want me to, I'll take a picture of it hanging this evening, when I get home, and post it up.

I'd like you to if you don't mind! I was thinking about doing something similar for our archery hunt later this year and any advise is appreciated.

Try one of these during rifle season. http://bethedecoy.com/ :D

I think it is marketed to disgruntled wives to give to their husbands as gifts. When sold together with a trick compass and a topo map that dissolves when it comes into contact with cold sweat, it's called the "Do it Yourself Divorce Kit".

I'd like you to if you don't mind! I was thinking about doing something similar for our archery hunt later this year and any advise is appreciated.

OK. Pictures attached. Had to post-hole my way out to some pines in my backyard. Still have about 2 feet of snow across the level but, should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
102747 102748 102749

yes, they a definitely worth the money. Won't hunt without one. Called in my daughters first archery bull(310 6 point) in from 400 yards to 12 yards. I am not that good of caller, so it had to be the decoy .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back