Tholo Safaris and Classic Safaris

graylake

Sorry for the delay but I have been busy since I got back. Here are some of the pictures that I took from our first trip.

Graylake

Hunt Summary

Trip Dates: July 13 – August 13, 2009

Booking Agent: Wendell Reich

Location of Hunts:
PG: Tholo Safaris in Botswana
DG: Classic Safaris in the Caprivi Strip

Equipment:
Me:
Winchester Model 70 in 416 Remington Magnum topped with a 1.75-6 VX-III
Sako in 375 H&H topped with a 2.5-8 VX-III
Leica 10x42 Geovid

Erika (my wife):
Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H topped with a 2.5-8 VX-III
Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM topped with 4.5-14 Zeiss conquest
Leica 10x42 Ultravid

Ammunition:
All ammunition used was factory ammo
300 WSM – 180 gr. Barnes Triple shock
375 H&H – 300 gr. Barnes Triple Shock
416 REM – 400 gr. Swift A-Frames

Where to start…..

I have been working towards this trip since Jan. 2004. I won’t bore you with the details but the end/beginning was finally in site as we boarded the plane on the afternoon of July 13. After a short hop to Calgary and a plane switch we were on our way. Next stop was Frankfurt, Germany and a 10 hour layover. After that it was boarding another plane and this time it was starting to sink in. But with the lack of sleep it was still surreal. A couple of beer and a sleeping pill and when we woke up we only had a couple hours til we landed.

Holy Crap we are landing and when we step off this plane we are going to be in Windhoek, Namibia. I can’t wait to step out that door and smell Africa for the first time…the sun is shining and here we go.

And Africa smells like…..jet exhaust. Huh, not what we expected but what can you do.

After all of the formalities were taken care of we stepped out of the terminal and into a waiting vehicle for a short 5 hour trip east to Ghanzi, Botswana.

We arrived at the camp just before dark and got settled in to our chalet. We met our Ph Jaco and had a couple beer sitting around the fire getting to know each other. Eventually the talk turned to what animals were on our list and what were our trophy expectations. Neither of us are into trophy hunting. But what we wanted was old mature animals. We don’t care if the horns are short and broomed off. We didn’t bring a tape measure so it didn’t matter about length. Jaco seemed pleased with that. Supper was ready a little later and shortly after that bed, it had been a long couple days.

July 16

The next morning started with breakfast and a short trip west of camp to a neighboring property to see what we could see. We stopped along the way to check the rifles, everything was fine and we continued on our way.

Just after entering the property a Jackel was spotted and the words “shoot that thing “ were spoken. One quick shot and I had spilled the first blood our Africa adventure. And the tone was set for the rest of the trip.

036.jpg

After that we spotted some Zebra and we left the truck, the chase was on. I knew better, but had a moment, since Erika wanted to shoot the zebra I left my rifle in the truck and followed along. Well the zebra gave us the slip and we ended up bumping into a nice Blue Wildebeest. Now what? That was one of the animals that I wanted. No problem, I would just use Erika’s rifle. A left handed model 70 with a shortened stock. I can do this it is not much different that a right handed rifle, with a full length stock.

Wrong…the second shot of the trip was a complete miss. Lesson learned, always take your rifle even if you don’t plan on shooting.

Next up was Erika and a nice Gemsbok. We played hide and seek for a while but in the end Erika played better and we had our first big animal in the truck.

040.jpg

Later in the day I got my chance at another blue wildebeest. This time with my rifle and 2 quick shots(One in each shoulder) and he was on the ground. The first shot was good and Jaco was saying “it was a good hit”. But I learned a long time ago to keep shooting as long as I can see the animal.

051.jpg

And that ended the first day….

July 17

The next day was spent playing hide and seek with various animals. Including a nice Waterbuck that Erika just could not catch in the open.

We just can’t get over the fact that we are in Africa. The terrain and style of hunting is so close to that of where we hunt in Alberta that we keep expecting to see Mule Deer bounding away and not Kudu cows.

July 18

This day started the same as all of the others. Get up and have coffee and breakfast around the fire and then climb in the truck and take off hunting. It was decided to check out a neighboring property today. This property was located south of Tholo’s so we had to drive close to the area where that Waterbuck was spotted. Jaco had just finished saying to pay attention as we were nearing the area. When guess what crosses the road. The herd of Waterbuck, one quick shot and Erika had her animal. This was THE animal that Erika wanted on the entire trip. He is not the biggest Waterbuck but he is old and broomed off and that it what she wanted. The time was 8:02 am and we still had not left the property. So we dropped of the Waterbuck and the other hunting camp to be skinned and continued on.

027.jpg

We had just entered the other property when a couple of Kudu bulls were spotted off in the distance. A quick check with the binos and it was decided that we better not pass up a chance at these bulls. With the wind in our faces we took off. With the lay of the land we were able to get in front of them and they slowly fed towards us. With Erika on the sticks and the bulls unaware of our presence I knew that bull was in a world of trouble. As expected we had animal #2 down and it was only 9:30am. We loaded up and carried on.

032.jpg

040-1.jpg

We were looking for fresh Eland tracks when we spotted a small herd of Zebra and were able to sneak within range. I was on the sticks as the herd fed through an opening. One shot quartering away and animal #3 was on the ground. Holy crap I just shot a Zebra. It was turning out to be a great day, it was only 11:00 am. After getting the Zebra loaded we carried on looking for Eland tracks.

068.jpg

We were having a tough time trying to find any fresh sign to follow. As we came over a small rise we finally found fresh Eland tracks, and the best part was the Eland were still standing in tracks. There was one old blue bull in the herd. With Erika saying shoot the black one and Jaco confirming which bull I should get on. The bull offered a quartering away shot that I took. The whole herd took off over the rise and out of site. We raced up the hill and through the few trees to try and catch site of the herd. Just as we crested the hill there was my bull with a big red spot on his side going straight away. I remember Jaco saying “put another shot in him” just as I squeezed the trigger. 3 more steps and the big bull was down. By the time we got over to him he was finished. Man these things are big…… As always we checked where the shots had gone and where I thought the shots had gone. I am always glad to be able to call my shots and this time both shots were where I had called them. First shot left side forward into the lungs and off side shoulder and Second shot straight through the tail going forward.

122.jpg

127.jpg

The time was 1:05 pm, what a day. We had 4 animals down and still had not had lunch. For the next couple hours we had lunch and then wrestled the Eland into the back of another truck and then put it into/on top of the kudu and zebra that were in our truck. That was quite a load for the little Toyota. We didn’t break any speed records on the way back to camp. With the truck full we called it a day and decided to put the rifles away.

July 19

With our main animals in the salt. We felt no pressure and had a leisurely day of looking for some of the small stuff. Jaco’s wife Irene came out to camp for lunch. In the evening we shot a few doves and were treated to some doves wrapped in bacon cooked over a bed of coals for an appetizer that night. Those were good. We might have to shoot a few more of those before the end of our trip. We spotted a group of Kudu bulls that had a really wide bull in it. I had not considered shooting a Kudu since Erika had already got one. But after seeing that bull I just could not get the sight of him out of my mind. That evening I told Jaco that I wanted a kudu like the one we say today. It had to be wide.

July 20

Today was another stress free day we spent more time looking for some of the little guys. We are seeing lots but nothing big enough to shoot. We spent a few hours sleeping, I mean sitting around a spring waiting for a warthog. We saw about 20 but no shooters. Erika got a Jackel but it was covered in burrs and didn’t have a nice coat.

July 21

Another quiet day spent looking for the little guys and anything else that might temp us. Erika finally got her chance at a Steinbok.

027-1.jpg

July 22

Erika was not feeling well this morning so I went hunting alone. Today the animals were everywhere. We finally found a kudu that was what I wanted. It almost got a way but gave me a shot when it crossed an opening 250 yards out. One shot through the shoulders and it was over, I had my Kudu. That was the 26th kudu bull that we had seen that morning. In total we saw 28 shooter Kudu bulls that morning. After lunch Erika was feeling better and we went back out and ended up finding a Gemsbok bull that needed to come back to Alberta. Now Erika has a cow and a bull. We finished the day by shooting some doves for the grill. A nice way to finish off the day.

031.jpg

074.jpg

July 23

We had such a good time with the bird shooting that we did that again in the AM. We wanted to watch the Bushman staff make their bilitong. So we went and found another blue wildebeest that was to my liking. A quick hunched over walk through the open and we were with range. Then on the way back to camp for lunch with the wildebeest in the truck, we spotted a duiker that was of correct size. Erika made a great shot as it was going through the grass and we now had the last of the little ones.

090.jpg

099-1.jpg

After lunch we watched the staff prepare the wildebeest. We were quite impressed with how efficient everything went. In 3 hours the animal was processed and just meat hanging in the bushes around the skinning shed.

July 24

Today was our day off. We went into town for some shopping and had lunch at the hotel. After lunch we went to see Irene. She has started a program in Ghanzi for the local kids in need. Once a week she has a gathering where her and another lady provide a hot lunch. Most if not all of the kids that attend are orphans or young mothers. And this is usually the only hot meal that they get each week. They try and make it informational also, by singing some songs, playing games and teaching them something each week, since these kids don’t go to school. We had brought a couple of bags of supplies with us when we were coming over. And decided to leave all the supplies with Irene for these kids.

After the visit with the kids we went and met up with Jaco’s brother and friends who was going out looking for a few of Kudu. Since we had nothing else planned for the rest of the afternoon we went with them. We ended up getting 2 Kudu by evening.

July 25

Today is our last hunting day….where has the time gone. We went looking for an Impala. And by lunch we had finally found one that was worthy. We were back in camp for lunch and then we went down to the main hunting camp to watch the rugby game. After the game we shot Jackels on the way back to our camp and ended shooting 3. Lots of fun….and a nice way to finish up this part of the trip.

364-1.jpg

July 26

Today we packed up and made the road trip back to Windhoek for our next adventure. We stayed the night in the Safari Court Hotel.

July 27

We were up early to catch the 6:00 am shuttle to the Eros Airport, for the 2 hour flight to Katima Mulilo. The flight was delayed 1 hour because the plane was overloaded and could not take off. Once they convinced 4 people to exit the plane we were on our way. It was quite a reception when we landed. Red carpet, dancers and singers. I was very impressed at how Classic Safaris was welcoming their new hunters. Okay it was not really for us, the President of Namibia was on our plane and that was for him. We were picked up and taken to the Salambala Camp.

Once in camp we were shown to our tent and then we went out to check our rifles. Everything was still on.

We found out that this year had more rain than last year and getting around was proving difficult. Vaughan was down stream checking out the other area and would phone when he knew more. So for now we would be in this camp.

July 28

Today we were up early and off to chase Hippo and Croc. We went and talked to different villages and fisherman looking for information about big crocs or hippos. We checked out one area and waited for a big croc to come out to sun himself but he never showed. We then found out about another spot and went to check that out. While looking around there a croc. was spotted. After a long sneak through tall reeds and numerous chanels we were with in range but he was a little too small (around 9’). A wet walk back to the truck and that was the day.

001-1.jpg

July 29

We went back to the same area we were in last night. This time we spotted a hippo out of the water close to where the croc was. Following close to the same path as last night we started to close the distance. When suddenly we spotted another hippo out of the water. We went and check out that one which turned out to be a bull. But when we were just about in range the birds squawked and he slipped into the channel. So we worked our way back to the original bull, who was still out on the land. At one point we were up to the middle of our chests in water as we crossed a channel. The wind was not great but we made it to the same piece of land that he was on. We were now less than a 100 yards from him. Working along the edge of the water, we were out of sight and closing the distance. There were some cattle off feeding in the distance and the noise they were making helped cover any noise we were making. Hentie (Ph) checked over the edge and we were almost in range. A little further and we were there. Sneak up over the edge and get on the sticks. The hippo is unaware that we are 50 yards away. He turned and walked behind some grass and then slowly walked out. I was on the sticks and ready. Erika was ready for back up if needed. (It was decided beforehand that when I shot, she was to shoot for the heart.)
Hentie whispers taken if you are ready. Boom…..and he drops. We rush up and administer 2 more insurance shots, but they were not required. Erika said that she was all set to shoot, had the crosshairs on the heart. At the sound of the shot he just disappeared from her scope. There rest of the day was spent butchering and hauling the meat back to the village.

045.jpg

July 30 – August 1

These days were spent looking for Croc and buffalo sign, talking with various villages and talking rides in numerous mokoros. I am finally getting the hang of these tippy little canoes. Some smaller crocs were found but nothing that interested us.

August 2

Today we switched camps and moved down the river to the Kasika conservancy. A boat was brought in for us to stay in, it is similar to a house boat but with a couple tents on the roof. Vaughan does not have a permanent camp in this area yet and this temporary spike camp was set up. This camp had everything that a person needs a semi-warm shower and a place to sleep.

001.jpg

While talking with Vaughan it was mentioned that there was another hippo available for this area if we were interested. That sounded promising.

We went for a short hike in the afternoon and started to get familiar with the new area. No buffalo seem yet.

August 3

Today started with us making a plan to go back into the area that we were in yesterday. Only this time get farther back from the only road that was drivable. But when we were only about 1.5 miles from the truck we spotted a lone hippo laying out on the edge of a channel. We moved out of sight and discussed our options. Erika decided that we should go after the hippo. With that a plan was put into action.

The wind was in our favor and the hippo was facing straight away. When we reached the 100 yard “marker” we slowed down and let some of the birds in the area move off unaware. When we reached the 70 yard “marker” the hippo snapped his head up and turned in our direction. We dropped into the grass and didn’t move. He waited a few moment and then put his head back on the ground, facing away. At 50 yards I moved to the right to be ready for a back up shot if needed. The hippo was still sleeping so we moved closer. At 40 yards I am starting to get excited because I know what is about to happen. With the hippo still sleeping, facing straight away. Hentie decided to move closer and over to the right for a better shot angle. Now we are 30 yards away from a sleeping hippo. Erika is on the sticks and ready. Hentie starts to whistle to get the bulls attention, after the 3rd whistle the bull lifts his head and swings it in our direction. Boom, Erika levels him. We rush up and she puts one more in just in case. And that was the day. By the time we got the hippo butchered and hauled back to the village the day was over.

124.jpg

August 4

Today started the same as yesterday, drive out from camp to the parking spot. Get out of the truck and start hiking. We went and checked a bunch of areas today. By 3:00 pm it was hot and everybody was getting tired. Erika was not feeling good and she went back to the truck with James our tracker to sit in the shade and get some more water. Hentie, John our game scout and myself decided to check one more area before calling it quits. After a 2 hour hike through a new area all we had to show for it was a few Elephant sightings and some more scratches on my legs. When we were about a ½ mile from the truck we look up and there is a herd of buffalo laying in the grass. We all hit the deck and belly crawl across the open section to get into a channel where we can move closer. We move down the channel and then crawl through the grass getting as close as possible to the herd with out exposing ourselves. We are between 140 and 150 yards from the buff. After a couple of minutes of searching we find a mature bull bedded. We get the sticks set up and I use one of the legs for a rest while we are sitting in the grass. The bull noticed the movement and stands. I am centered on that bull and we wait for him to turn broad side. After about a minute he turns and gives me a good frontal quartering. Hentie says to take the shot if I am comfortable. Just as I get ready for the shot the bull starts to turn and I touch off. He drops on the spot and the rest of the herd jumps up and just stands there looking. This bull is not moving and we finally stand and start to walk towards them to get the herd to move off. When we get up to the bull I give it one more just in case and it is over.

John and I stayed with the buff while Hentie runs back to get the truck. We were able to drive within 100 yards of the bull for pictures. I am tired but could not be happier. We ended up walking around 10 miles that day when it was done. We just left the bull there covered in grass for the night and would get it in the morning.

079.jpg

081.jpg

August 5

We went and retrieved the bull this morning and then spent a leisurely day around camp. Went for a short drive in the evening just to check out some access for the next day.

August 6

Today was spent walking and walking in the long grass. I am starting to understand why people burn the stuff. No buffalo today just a few elephants and a couple crocs.

August 7 and 8

More of the same, lots of walking. We saw some more buffalo but just could not make it work.

August 9

Today we took the day off and went to Victory Falls. It was only about a 2.5 hour drive and since we were that close figured that we should not miss it. While we went to the falls Hentie moved our stuff back to the Salambala camp to get ready for our flight back to Windhoek the next day. I can believe that it has been 2 weeks already.

August 10

We organized our luggage and got ready for our afternoon flight.
Arrived back in Windhoek around 6:00pm and went to the Kalahari Sands for a couple days rest before our flights back home.

August 11

Spent some time shopping down town and just relaxing. Went to Joe’s for supper, nice place.

August 12 – 13

We started our flights home and arrived the evening of the 13th. And thus ended our first African experience. It was quite a trip.

WOW! That was one heckuva story plus pics! Looks like you both had a helluva time over there. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Was it hot or cold...in those first few pics you had a coat/long sleeve attire but it looked hotter than hades...

Awesome write-up, sounds like an amazing experience.

Dang! I can't wait for the movie! What a great time it must have been to spend that much time with Erika and put that trip in the Rocking Chair Bank. Thanks for taking us along! John

The weather in Botswana was cool in the mornings, with a couple days having light frost. But by 10:30 we were usually in just a shirt and jeans.

I think the daytime highs were between 70 and 85 degrees roughly. Not too hot...just right.

OUTSTANDING!!! Great story and pics! So when you going back?
Many very nice animals but I am totally intrigued by your much prettier better half's Water Buck! The mass from base to tip, even tho "short" is amazing! Good show!
Just curious, but why did you fly to Windhoek instead of Garbone?
I leave for Zambia in 19 days....wade to my titties in search, one last time, for an acceptable Sitatunga, then to another concession to try a Sharps Grysbok, I really want one to add to my Tiny Ones collection. I will also look for a Hippo and Croc and hope to pick up a Cookson Wildebeeste on a private concession on the way. Cape Buffalo is also on my quota-----damn I love hunting those bastards up close and personal and hope to improve my best! My longest shot to date is 37 yards!

We were going to be hunting out of Windhoek for the last half of the trip. And our flights from this side of the pond worked very easy flying in to windhoek. Direct from Franfurt.

Our choice for this ranch were either Maun or Windhoek for pickup. And it was only another 2 hours in the vehicle for a Windhoek pickup. And this way we didn't have to pay Tax on our ammo going through the border crossing, like we would have had to do in Maun.

I think chasing Hippo on land had to be my favorite hunt. A Sitatunga is on my list of thing to chase...very nice.

Ya we are very happy with that Waterbuck. That is one of the 3 mounts that we are getting done out of all of those animals. Him and the 2 little ones. European mounts for the rest when they get here. And we are doing a couple rugs from the zebra and blue wildebeest.

37 yards boy you are really stretching the distance there ;)

Graylake, thanks for details on why you went thru Windhoek! Yeah, Maun is where you would fly...Garbone was where me and a RSA bud crossed by vehicle to look at a concession for sale that he was interested in..
Glad to hear you are mounting that massive Waterbuck! Euro mounts are a great idea and save lottsa bucks! If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, make the Zebra a wall hanging instead of a rug to save wear and tear! I have a Blue Wildebeeste as a "throw" over the back of my den couch.
Yeah, that 37 yds was bad but they started swishing their tails and raising their ears and looking our way! My first two took followup shots....one from 15 yds and one in the tall grass from 12 yds....what a RUSH !!! Love'em!! First one went down at five feet from my rickity old body when he wheeled and tried to mount a rather feeble charge GREAT FUN!
Sitatunga is worth pursuing if you get hooked on Spiral Horns like I am....he's the only other one I can afford to hunt besides Cape Eland which I have been passing for years knowing I can always find a better one later ( the same reason I don't have a 'Bou, Moose or Griz and will likely die without two of them based on current cost and my age!).!

Last edited:
Back