This

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Couple phrases that get me through most projects:

“If ya squint, it’s mint.”

“Do your best and caulk the rest.”

I have found as a homeowner I truly do not enjoy major projects. Would way rather spend my time elsewhere. Will take into consideration when purchasing the next house. I don’t feel a sense of accomplishment, I feel a sense of, “I could have been doing so much other fun stuff”.

I get self enjoyment on home projects otherwise there is no way it's actually worth it as paying someone is often cheaper if you just figure you could have used that time making money at work or the value of being able to recreate and enjoy life.

Congrats!

You could always become a home renovation social media influencer but with a twist: the running gag would be in your videos, you always have a This Old House episode on the same subject playing in the background while you offer (different?) advice about that subject.

Might get a cease and desist letter From This Old House but it’d be funny

This weeks list…

Install attic fans
Add a shit load of insulation

Pull 300 of these

View attachment 281296

Can anyone think of a good reason not to pull all the telephone wire. I can’t imagine anyone in this house will ever want a land line again?
If there is no wires, I would not bother to pull them at all. My old house had them but all the wire was gone. That's all that mattered. Your place has been rewired. If it was a 100% job and the wire is gone, then you are done there, imo.

Last edited:
Couple other nuggets I've learned from owning an older home:

1. Indoor plumbing was a bad idea

2. Trees are nice until you own a few, then they're just liabilities

3. When a contractor shows up, spends an hour or two doing site walk of your proposed renovation, takes either a ton of notes or none at all, and says they'll get back to you with a quote...usually means you'll never hear from them again and they won't return your calls. 🤷‍♂️

I can hardly walk around my house / property without noticing stuff and thinking, "damn that's gonna be expensive to fix someday"

We bought a brand spankety new house end of 2021 and even then there’s still only ever a bunch of chit to do.

Houses are lame. Boomers really oversold the experience.
Absolutely! Mines decently new 2014 and still always something needs attention. Couldn't imagine the upkeep on a almost hundred year old house. Me and my wife are kicking around the idea of selling our house and property once the kids are grown and we're retired and just live in a state of permanent vacation. Might get a 5th wheel other then that live outta rent houses/cabins, air bnb, hotels and live off room service. A little time in the rockies in the fall, then to the Bahamas for winter, and wherever else we feel like.

Thinking that's an old house, how cute. I grew up in MA in a house built in 1730. 16 inch on center? Never heard of it. Square walls? Why bother? Insulation? None or asbestos.

Foundation was rocks, roof was framed literally with trees, can even see the original wood pegs. Reroofing? Had to cut every 4x8 plywood sheet to land on a rafter. Replace windows meant reframing in the window opening to get it square. Replaced furnace meant sealing off the basement to remove the old asbestos lined one.

Absolutely check if it's historical. Most of the abive was partially, or totally covered by historical grants

Enjoy the process. I get questioned if I buy tools with no reason. If I need tools for a new project the checkbook magically opens up. We’ve owned our 1956 model for two years now. It’s not a perfect place but I’ve enjoyed the process. Hardwood floors throughout except in kitchen and bathrooms. Stripped, sanded, and refinished them and painted most every wall in the first month before moving in was the best thing we’ve done yet.

3. When a contractor shows up, spends an hour or two doing site walk of your proposed renovation, takes either a ton of notes or none at all, and says they'll get back to you with a quote...usually means you'll never hear from them again and they won't return your calls. 🤷‍♂️
You may be right 90+% of the time, but.....

One of the reasons we stay very busy, even though our rates would be considered high in our market, is that everyone gets put in a sales process. It starts with a scheduled 15-20 min phone call, then a site visit is scheduled, after which quotes are prepared. I usually tell people to give me 2-3 weeks after the site visit to receive an estimate, and if I run over on time they get a phone call or email.

There is such incredible opportunity right now for construction professionals who can use their Google calendar and actually communicate with people. The status quo drives me nuts.....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back