This

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
You are more likely to need a dehumidifier than a humidifier. Especially in the basement. We have one in our basement and it runs non stop from about May until September.
@wllm

This!!!

I have lives here in MI my whole life and never had one. But we have had a dehumidifier the whole time. It runs in the basement when we notice the doors starting to shut hard.

Ok boomers, need you to educated this millennial.

Got my quote from the HVAC guy.

Do I really need a humidifier in Michigan? Coming from CO that seems crazy to me... never had one growing up in the west MI seems waaaaaay more humid even in the winter.

Am I being dumb?
Just do lots of euros in the basement. And keep a big pot of water on the cookstove in the winter, that way when the water heater is down you'll still be able to bath and do dishes! My wife is a 14 year victim of my DIY self torture, don't know about humidity, but hot water is a line you don't want to cross!

Can't decide whether to hire you as an accountant...or a life coach.

What say ye Douglas?

:)
It must be nice having money to buy Kobalt tools.
I just took second place in a 12hr competitive cycling event on a set of brakes bled with an old set of pitsburgs on a wrecked bike.

It must be nice having money to buy Kobalt tools.
I just took second place in a 12hr competitive cycling event on a set of brakes bled with an old set of pitsburgs on a wrecked bike.
..work hard, play hard...you're doing fine

Ok boomers, need you to educated this millennial.

Got my quote from the HVAC guy.

Do I really need a humidifier in Michigan? Coming from CO that seems crazy to me... never had one growing up in the west MI seems waaaaaay more humid even in the winter.

Am I being dumb?
NOTHING is harder on a house that huge humidity swings. You have not yet experienced Midwest dry. But you will this winter.

We live with open windows pretty much all year round and a wife that thinks AC is the Devil's only invention, so we see those swings and it tears a house apart.

Do as you will. You're young. You will survive and live to tell the stories.

You're missing the point on buying vs renting. When you get extra money (bonus, good year in market) pay down principal.
A 30 year becomes 15, then 10, and then you burn it and everything is available for maintenance, hunting/fishing/investment. Then you are free. No big monthly payments, living on the investment income. Retire early, unless your job is fun.

you'll def need a dehumidifier in the basement. Midwest no brainer. As for whole house humidifier, man that seems crazy. I've lived in IL, MI, and MN... and they were not nearly as dry as CO... so if you got by in CO without a whole house humidifier, I think you are ok going with localized humidifiers (aka bedrooms)

I bet Midwest dry in the dead of winter still feels like choking humidity in colorado.

But the humidity swings make sense. I remember my guitar teacher in middle school was like “in colorado either diligently keep a humidifier in your guitar case or don’t keep one at all”

I’ve never heard of anyone in Il having a whole house humidifier, but I can see cracks in drywall joints in the winter that aren’t there in the summer.
Whether that matters or not in the long run 🤷‍♂️

NOTHING is harder on a house that huge humidity swings. You have not yet experienced Midwest dry. But you will this winter.

We live with open windows pretty much all year round and a wife that thinks AC is the Devil's only invention, so we see those swings and it tears a house apart.

Do as you will. You're young. You will survive and live to tell the stories.
Hmm, his 1920 house is still standing. You would think it would have tore apart over the last hundred years.

You're missing the point on buying vs renting. When you get extra money (bonus, good year in market) pay down principal.
A 30 year becomes 15, then 10, and then you burn it and everything is available for maintenance, hunting/fishing/investment. Then you are free. No big monthly payments, living on the investment income. Retire early, unless your job is fun.
Yeah that is an interesting piece of the conversation.

Depending on your age though there is a good argument for putting the money in the market over your home loan… also depends on your rate.

But at like age 50 I’d probably lean toward paying off the house… all depends on how long someone plans on living somewhere.

For those comparing to CO, it's not really fair. It's not necessarily because its extremely low humidity, it's because of the huge humidity swings. It can be 10% one day and 90% the next. The quick swings from such a large range causes issues like drywall cracking, building materials and furnature absorbing moisture, etc. It's pretty common for homes here to have fancy dehumifiers and systems for removing humidity and I have honestly never heard of or seen a system that adds moisture. I'm not in the HVAC business though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back