Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

This

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Back on the subject of battery operated chainsaws. I'm currently in the market for a new saw.

@npaden @Dsnow9 Could you cut a whole tree like the ones dropped in your photos into rounds on one battery charge? I've got a bunch of trees on my property that need cutting. So it would be about a week of intense use, then sporadic use from then on out. Not sure if it makes more sense to get another gasser to be able to use it a ton in that one week of heavy cutting, or deal with the annoyance of charging during that week, but end up with a more user-friendly machine in the long run. Make sense?
Yes, with a sharp chain, 2 trees that size seem to be about the limit of what I can fell, limb, and buck on a single 12ah battery.

You can add popping off the front plastic fender of a Tundra to the list of MtnElk-esque things to do to your truck while adventuring in the woods, be it hunting or for a Christmas tree
I ripped the whole sonabatching thing off years ago sliding sideways into a cut bank trying to get a Christmas tree, and it was cheaper to buy this vs stock.
1701726783803.png
Take the number you have, and subtract 1 because it doesn't run, another 1 because it doesn't run right now, and other 1 that's stuck in the tree already. So really he only has two, which is perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
I ripped the whole sonabatching thing off years ago sliding sideways into a cut bank trying to get a Christmas tree, and it was cheaper to buy this vs stock.
View attachment 304724

Take the number you have, and subtract 1 because it doesn't run, another 1 because it doesn't run right now, and other 1 that's stuck in the tree already. So really he only has two, which is perfectly reasonable.

Na. I haven't started the paulon in about 10 years, but both huskies and both stihls are tip top. Pays to have a dad that can fix about any small engine and a hunting buddy who does small engine repair professionally.

Never hung in a saw in a tree either. I'm not good at many things, but I'm damn decent with a chainsaw.

Edit: this is spot on for vehicles though. 2 out of 5 running, so I actually only have 2...

Last edited:
Never hung in a saw in a tree either. I'm not good at many things, but I'm damn decent with a chainsaw.
This one time I thought I would cut firewood alone. I picked an easy, small tree to start. Suspected it had some buttrot, but the top 3/4 looked good. didn't even get my wedge cut and it collapsed on my blade and tipped the wrong way into another tree and hung up. Got the second saw out, because I you never cut with only one. Tried to cut out the first saw... saw my mistake as I made it but thought, "if I can just get another 1.5" I'm good. Nope Stuck. So I sat there, and had a beer debating what to do. No long tow straps, no cell coverage, no axe, just a couple of ratchet straps. So after a couple of beers, I decided to climb the tree as high as I could, using the saws for footholds, tied the strap around it, then tied the other end to the nearest tree in the direction I wanted it to go. Ratcheted tight. Still not moving (not a lot of leverage on that little flapper). So I jumped up and grabbed the strap above my head and started bouncing on it. Damn if it didn't work, and damn if I didn't about die trying to get out of the way when the MF-er came crashing down on my head. My dad tells similar stories. It's hereditary.

Back on the subject of battery operated chainsaws. I'm currently in the market for a new saw.

@npaden @Dsnow9 Could you cut a whole tree like the ones dropped in your photos into rounds on one battery charge? I've got a bunch of trees on my property that need cutting. So it would be about a week of intense use, then sporadic use from then on out. Not sure if it makes more sense to get another gasser to be able to use it a ton in that one week of heavy cutting, or deal with the annoyance of charging during that week, but end up with a more user-friendly machine in the long run. Make sense?
That’s a hard one. Personally I would grab one of my gas saws for that job.

If you already have power tools with multiple batteries that you can charge while you cut you would be ok.

If your buying saw and multiple batteries it might make more sense to go gas.

Again hard choice and personal preference. The husky and Stihl commercial electrics would do the whole day on two batteries probably. The standard tool company saws will not last that long.

If you already have power tools with multiple batteries that you can charge while you cut you would be ok.

Again hard choice and personal preference. The husky and Stihl commercial electrics would do the whole day on two batteries probably. The standard tool company saws will not last that long.
I use the Milwaukee m18 hatchet a lot when I’m pruning.
956FE429-88DE-41D8-B478-A972F56092CA.jpegCF7F30BA-6428-4EC3-9B6D-8FEB83A767C1.jpeg

I appreciate it. Unless @FI460 brings his stable of saws, I’ll probably just buy a gasser. I’ve got other battery powered tool, but they’re Green and I don’t have faith in the battery life for this kind of job.

I appreciate it. Unless @FI460 brings his stable of saws, I’ll probably just buy a gasser. I’ve got other battery powered tool, but they’re Green and I don’t have faith in the battery life for this kind of job.

Gotta see what the boss has planned for spring break, but we can try to make it happen.

Dad has a monstrous old homelite that's about our combined ages. That's what I'm gonna loan ya.

@AvidIndoorsman has to fly in to climb the trees though. I only do ground work.

Gotta see what the boss has planned for spring break, but we can try to make it happen.

Dad has a monstrous old homelite that's about our combined ages. That's what I'm gonna loan ya.

@AvidIndoorsman has to fly in to climb the trees though. I only do ground work.
I should look into tree work for access/waypoints/guided hunts… willing to travel for the right deal! Lol

That @AvidIndoorsman guy is crazy… chorded power tools in the tree with goggles! It’s a wild ride lol

You don’t think she’d be all tingley with excitement to spend her spring break cutting down a bunch of juniper on a property that’s not even her’s?

She'd have a heck of a time hanging out with the kids while we chopped stuff up, but I think we'll have to go do an engagement soiree with her family during spring break.

She'd have a heck of a time hanging out with the kids while we chopped stuff up, but I think we'll have to go do an engagement soiree with her family during spring break.
If your offering childcare I’ll be your tree climbing huckleberry… anyway we can shoehorn a turkey hunt into this boondoggle.

If you’re offering childcare I’ll be your tree climbing huckleberry… anyway we can shoehorn a turkey hunt into this boondoggle.
Interesting aside there, the line from tombstone was actually “I’ll be your huckle bearer”, huckle being the handle on a casket, but Val flubbed it… that original line is probably more fitting given that we are playing with saws in trees.

You don’t think she’d be all tingley with excitement to spend her spring break cutting down a bunch of juniper on a property that’s not even her’s?
Species makes a huge difference. If you’re cutting juniper, gas saw all day long. A pack of files and a few extra chains would be a necessary accomplice as well

Interesting aside there, the line from tombstone was actually “I’ll be your huckle bearer”, huckle being the handle on a casket, but Val flubbed it… that original line is probably more fitting given that we are playing with saws in trees.
These aren’t even real trees, just glorified shrubs. But year, I’m sure I’ll find a create way to hurt myself. So you coming out to scope out the next spot for your biannual move?

Species makes a huge difference. If you’re cutting juniper, gas saw all day long. A pack of files and a few extra chains would be a necessary accomplice as well
Good to know. I borrowed my dad’s saw last week to drop one, and he gave me some serious side eye and asked if I cut a tree or a bunch of rebar when I returned it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back