This is your property classification and appraisal notice

I don't have a problem with the insurance, FEMA absolutely IS the problem and how they classified properties for the flood insurance requirement.

Does it make sense in NOLA yes, does it make sense in Laramie Wyoming when you have a creek that you can jump across anywhere, that's entrenched in a 30-40 foot cannel? Probably not, and in particular when the homes across the street (with more flood control in the streets) borders it are the ONLY homes paying for flood insurance. Never mind that if my rental house floods the people living behind me, as well as the University of Wyoming, are also going to be under the same amount of water.

I called FEMA directly and asked how they classified which homes need flood insurance and which ones don't. They had GIS analysts look at perennial water and made the determination arbitrarily on what they "thought" the risk of flooding was. I can tell you since that house was built in 1957, it has not come close to flooding. Further, I think their GIS analyst should try to get a basic understanding of elevation, noting that in some cases the houses that aren't required to have it on the next block over are LOWER in elevation than the houses that require it.

The unfortunate part, is many of the homes on that street are of the first time home buyer variety, in that 200-350K dollar range. That puts many of those homes out of reach when you have to factor in regular home owners insurance, plus flood insurance. Its a joke.

I painted FEMA's little red wagon and just cut a check to pay off the rental so we could drop the flood insurance and only paid one years premium.

Its a total scam in Laramie.
This is spot on. Lots of communities in this same boat. I think they are doing this to “subsidize” places with super high flood risk that should have never been built such as New Orleans

This is spot on. Lots of communities in this same boat. I think they are doing this to “subsidize” places with super high flood risk that should have never been built such as New Orleans
Oh absolutely, that's the whole idea behind insurance. They spread the risk out across the entire country, in areas they know darn well will never flood and make it a requirement. The many pay for the few, more accurately, those with little to no risk pay for the high risk when it happens.

I was 100% subsidizing the high risk areas. The last, and only time my rental house flooded, Noah built himself a boat.

Its the only way they could even come close to having anything affordable insurance wise to sell to those in the truly high risk areas.

Like I said, total insurance scam.

Apologies if this was already posted, but here is a clip from the Gallatin County Commission that was shared with me regarding the new Tax Assessments that homeowners recently received:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuH_i1dAI2r/
Love how he concludes that the state was intentionally trying to “scare homeowners or instill chaos and distress.” 😂 Pretty bold statement that won’t get him many friends in Helena.

$4-5 million of property tax relief for disabled veterans and their spouses was vetoed in SB 442.

BTW.

Failure to bond on large infrastructure projects, deferred raises on school teachers, vacancy savings gimmicks to say "we cut taxes," tax cuts for third home owners, tax havens for wealthy elites storing their crap in-state, shifting the burden of taxes away from progressive's to regressive and property, etc. Nobody should be shocked by this. The MT Legislature for decades has failed to properly address property taxes.

Bonding large infrastructure projects rather than paying cash and/or forcing the expense on to property taxes was the MT Dem/Moderate R approach. That would have helped offset a big chunk of the state increase regardless of the real estate market.

I don't have a problem with the insurance, FEMA absolutely IS the problem and how they classified properties for the flood insurance requirement.

Does it make sense in NOLA yes, does it make sense in Laramie Wyoming when you have a creek that you can jump across anywhere, that's entrenched in a 30-40 foot cannel? Probably not, and in particular when the homes across the street (with more flood control in the streets) borders it are the ONLY homes paying for flood insurance. Never mind that if my rental house floods the people living behind me, as well as the University of Wyoming, are also going to be under the same amount of water.

I called FEMA directly and asked how they classified which homes need flood insurance and which ones don't. They had GIS analysts look at perennial water and made the determination arbitrarily on what they "thought" the risk of flooding was. I can tell you since that house was built in 1957, it has not come close to flooding. Further, I think their GIS analyst should try to get a basic understanding of elevation, noting that in some cases the houses that aren't required to have it on the next block over are LOWER in elevation than the houses that require it.

The unfortunate part, is many of the homes on that street are of the first time home buyer variety, in that 200-350K dollar range. That puts many of those homes out of reach when you have to factor in regular home owners insurance, plus flood insurance. Its a joke.

I painted FEMA's little red wagon and just cut a check to pay off the rental so we could drop the flood insurance and only paid one years premium.

The have been (and are in may cases) using old models so many of the analysts have to guess. I attribute to denying climate change and the potential impact for the last 20years. Many of the homes in NOLA could have said "since that house was built in XXXX, it has not come close to flooding." Therein lies the problem for any insurance calculation. We are in uncharted waters in terms of both flooding and fire. I can't speak to your specific case, but FEMA has a lot of tools online that tell a specific location and the odds. In fact it only shows 27 policies for all of Laramie's zip codes, so you may have a legit beef. But complaining will probably get a requirement for the neighbors to get insurance rather than get rid of yours.

The have been (and are in may cases) using old models so many of the analysts have to guess. I attribute to denying climate change and the potential impact for the last 20years. Many of the homes in NOLA could have said "since that house was built in XXXX, it has not come close to flooding." Therein lies the problem for any insurance calculation. We are in uncharted waters in terms of both flooding and fire. I can't speak to your specific case, but FEMA has a lot of tools online that tell a specific location and the odds. In fact it only shows 27 policies for all of Laramie's zip codes, so you may have a legit beef. But complaining will probably get a requirement for the neighbors to get insurance rather than get rid of yours.
Like I said, I dealt with it by paying off the rental so FEMA can KMA.

Damn government employees glad you were able to stick it to them

I tried to let sleeping dogs lie, but I just can't. Public education, and the funding of it, are an issue I personally place great importance on.

So, private school students and homeschoolers face government discrimination
Negative. Families that CHOOSE to homeschool or send their kids to private school are making the choice to exclude themselves from the funding, not the other way around.

while property owners enjoyed a reduced rate below “fair” taxation because the cost of education for private and homeschooling students isn’t part of the equation in consideration of how much it costs to educate American children.
Again, property owners aren't enjoying a reduced rate because property taxes aren't collected solely for the purpose of funding education - it also covers a plethora of services provided by the state including stuff like roads and state police. Property taxes are assessed on property value, not need of the local education system. Also, here again, the cost of education for private and homeschooling families shouldn't be a consideration of the cost of educating American children (via property tax) because those families are CHOOSING to not take part in that system.

Don't like the public education system? I get it, it's broke in a lot of ways, but wanting public funding for private school via voucher is basically choosing to not participate, but wanting the State to cover the cost of that choice.

I just don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight, knowing what you guys have to pay in taxes on $1M+ homes, rental properties, the different properties you own in each state etc.

Tough times.

I just don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight, knowing what you guys have to pay in taxes on $1M+ homes, rental properties, the different properties you own in each state etc.

Tough times.
Don’t forget the cumbersome burden of that pesky state for not reimbursing those who CHOOSE they are above the public education system and OPT for private schooling away from the serfs for their children.

Amateur hour up there in Montanafornia.

They had so many appeals on the assessment here, they shut down the assessors office to the public for the month of June to get them all done.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back