This is your property classification and appraisal notice

When we return to Bozeman in August my first stop will be the Gallatin County Court House to report a broken calculator (or spread sheet). I can think of no other logical explanation for an 81% increase in valuation. Lots of discussion here about taxes. Some are apparently happy to pay them, others not so much. I think most of us understand taxes are a necessity to pay for services that are a function of government. Where many, including myself object, is the vast, out of control expansion of what the government, at virtually every level, decides to spend the tax revenue on. Thus the ongoing, “we need more” mentality. When does it end? Will it end? Gallatin Counay spending $650,000 on a new dog park. Minnesota spending tens of millions on a new, “Loon Center”. The federal government spending literally billions on political investigations and then turning around and spending more to investigate the investigators. At one time there was a theory that the expansion of the tax base (new homes, new businesses, new industry) was the property tax solution because it would result in more taxpayers sharing the necessary tax burden. Thus reducing the burden for each individual payer. I find it puzzling that communities where the tax base is expanding exponentially, like Bozeman and Fargo, the property taxes have skyrockete. So much for the “expand the tax base” theor.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
Curious to see how effect a challenge will be for @Unlucky. Having a bank appraisal may help. The increase makes some sense looking at overall housing values, but I continue to believe the mix of houses in actual transactions (the appraisal comp) is different than the normal.

IMG_1869.png

If they get something wrong in your property description, you absolutely should appeal.

I did years ago when they thought I had a finished basement - I didn't, and that blew up their comps - and ultimately reduced our taxable value though not by much.

In cases where they can't get to a parcel, I know some counties use aerial oblique imagery to do their best to assess a property. Doing so might get you the sq feet of a structure, but in terms of meaningful attributes, not much else.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." Ronald Reagan.
Ronnie lived in a fantasy world in his head. The country runs on money. You have to pay for schools and police and fire and roads and ancillary services. No one likes taxes, but they are necessary to live in the greatest country on Earth.

Ronnie lived in a fantasy world in his head. The country runs on money. You have to pay for schools and police and fire and roads and ancillary services. No one likes taxes, but they are necessary to live in the greatest country on Earth.
Lots of truth; I think it’s also fair to say pretty much everyone wishing they had more say in how their taxes were spent and wishes the system to collect seemed more fair/equitable in their mind. It’s been said before but elections have consequences and also it’s totally fair to contact your elected officials and let them know you think they’re doing a crummy job and why

Seems the man's bytes are still giving libs the red ass...
Nah, I just hate horseshit, and most of the Ronnie's quotes and accomplishment are horseshit. Different government song and dance, but same result. Debt grew at a 14% annualized clip during his tenure. Federal government employees grew 1.5% and PEAKED in absolute number in 1990 (has been coming down or stead for decades now). The push to cut federal funding to various things caused the growth of government at the state and local level. Hence this thread. If you want to fix problems, you have to be honest about both past successes and failures. Or you can just throw out horseshit lines and live in the same fantasy world he did.

Yessir, he's the only pol who ever prevaricated for party gain...
Clinton GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Lots of truth; I think it’s also fair to say pretty much everyone wishing they had more say in how their taxes were spent and wishes the system to collect seemed more fair/equitable in their mind. It’s been said before but elections have consequences and also it’s totally fair to contact your elected officials and let them know you think they’re doing a crummy job and why
Almost every government agency posts an annual budget on this magical interweb thingy. 99% of the people don't go and look at it, probably because they just want to complain about it. I remember when I lived in Billings we had ballot measures for milage increases to hire more cops. It failed while the number of meth heads increased, resulting in people complaining about an increase in crime and the lack of service from the police. Pretty much same story everywhere. People want everything but don't want to pay for it. Citizens should demand solutions to problems, but living in America means it must be paid for.

The hypocrisy of Ronnie was almost laughable, if it weren't so mean spirited.

The guy was president of the screen actors guild when he had to work for a living. The SOB was a union busting politician once he stopped. Imagine that.

Worst economic years for my family were under Reagans bullchit policy, and for any other working class family that was paying attention.

Why he's a hero of the GOP is a total mystery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back