Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Think it’s so easy??

Bullshot

Yes... I am one of those “no time to scout”nonresidents who somehow wants to attempt the annual DIY hunt anyway. This little doodle is what is currently on my mind as I feel a little overwhelmed at my latest fall torture gauntlet....uhh..I mean hunt. It also explains why I am not a trophy seeker (Aint nobody got time for that!)

On this trip, which par for the course will be to previously untrodden ground, I am feeling like I will be lucky to see a bull elk let alone arrow one. If I am successful in the WY draw, may also have doe tags as a backup hunt allowing me to end the elk pursuit early if its looking grim. If no draw, or if I am actually into elk, I can extend the main event for a day or two. Best case I get an elk out early, processed, then antelope in a few hours of hunting on the way home and be on my way. Somehow best case doesn’t always play nice with hunting plans.

Either way, an exhausting trip is planned. A solo drive-out DIY for an east-coaster is no joke. And this will be the first time ever stopping off at night. Guess I am getting old (and less reckless). Thought a few of you locals might enjoy seeing these hoops you hopefully will rarely have to jump through. Hunt time gets eaten up pretty quickly with 2100 mile bookends on the trip!
9DEEC070-5E64-401E-A808-0464443F14D0.jpeg

Its not easy, and why I've always had a lot of respect for those that drive cross country, buy NR tags, and go it alone. Done lots of this kind of stuff myself, so I know its not easy.

IMO/E, the investment of time, effort, vacation days, etc. that a NR puts in, is largely why I think they're more successful. I mean more successful in regard to the over-all experience, not just at bagging game.

I think they appreciate the whole experience more than a Resident who can run down and buy a tag at the corner store and decide on Friday if they want to hunt Saturday. Not much thought or effort put into that (not that there's anything wrong with that either).

Significant effort just to get to the point you are now.

Good luck!

Good luck on your hunt/adventure! Sounds like you've got the right attitude and will enjoy your trip. I've never had that long of a drive, but I've been the non-resident with 'no time to scout' more than once and so far have always felt it was worthwhile. I've added to my un-notched tag collection multiple times, but had good luck at other times. Shot opportunity or not, it's always been enjoyable.

Lots of windshield time ahead of you, but you'll see beautiful country and have better odds of seeing/getting elk and antelope than if you stay in NJ. I'm sure you're putting in computer scouting time, but things sure change when you get in a location instead of the screen. At the same time I've had a spot I picked on the computer be the right location. Take lots of pics and return and report this fall!

This may seem hairbrained but you might want to consider it on a future hunt. Ship your truck to say, SLC, fly out and drive back. We moved my wife's mother from London Kentucky here to Las Vegas and the fee was under $800. Airfare from Cincinnati was the $200. What would airfare from Trenton or JFK to Salt Lake be? How much is gas, two nights hotel and wear and tear. Add in you would arrive refreshed instead of road weary....just spit balling here.

Regardless Bullshot, I admire your commitment. You're going to have a great hunt. I can't wait for your story afterwards. No pressure.

I appreciate the moral support and look forward to updating on the hunt. 90 days to get into some sort of better shape (thats a whole other issue..... altitude adjustment!) and am very open to suggestions on a supplemental seat cushion.... my last solo drive took a turn for the worse between Laramie and Encampment on the way to CO. About 27 hours into it my hip joint went bonkers, ligaments spasming, etc. Hasn’t been right since, did some permanent damage apparently. Thankfully it wasn't a blood clot. Still got an elk that week though, LOL!

I appreciate the moral support and look forward to updating on the hunt. 90 days to get into some sort of better shape (thats a whole other issue..... altitude adjustment!) and am very open to suggestions on a supplemental seat cushion.... my last solo drive took a turn for the worse between Laramie and Encampment on the way to CO. About 27 hours into it my hip joint went bonkers, ligaments spasming, etc. Hasn’t been right since, did some permanent damage apparently. Thankfully it wasn't a blood clot. Still got an elk that week though, LOL!
Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket and was the hip that gave you trouble on the same side as your wallet? Took me a few years to figure out that taking my wallet out of my pocket on long drives helped a lot.

You present a pretty good argument for flying.
I’m definitely flying lol

I met a guy one time, who rented a storage unit out west where he kept a vehicle and hunting gear. Seemed like a decent hack if you planned on doing it year after year.

An old buddy back home decided that instead of buying non-resident tags in Colorado, he would buy property on Pagosa Springs.
That fall, he bought CO "resident" tags.
The next spring, he got a dun from the state of Colorado for his state income tax! LOL!
He couldn't get out of the state income tax, so he sold his property and (ahem!) "moved" back to Texas, the big dummy!
I like the idea of a storage unit. I suppose the biggest deal would be keeping up with the registration on the auto.

An old buddy back home decided that instead of buying non-resident tags in Colorado, he would buy property on Pagosa Springs.
That fall, he bought CO "resident" tags.
The next spring, he got a dun from the state of Colorado for his state income tax! LOL!
He couldn't get out of the state income tax, so he sold his property and (ahem!) "moved" back to Texas, the big dummy!
I like the idea of a storage unit. I suppose the biggest deal would be keeping up with the registration on the auto.
1623174074393.png

* Owning a second home + having a vehicle title in another state does not qualify you for Resident status with regard to hunting licenses.

I cant imagine the sadness of leaving WY and seeing the buildings get taller and more frequent as you keep travelling back east.

I went from the west side of the Bighorns back to Minneapolis in a single day, and I think it was like a diver coming up too fast and getting the bends.

Last edited:
I’m definitely flying lol

I met a guy one time, who rented a storage unit out west where he kept a vehicle and hunting gear. Seemed like a decent hack if you planned on doing it year after year.
Yeah, I'm a flyer too. One straight through driving voyage to hunt 2nd season OTC elk in CO was enough for me.

Yeah, I'm a flyer too. One straight through driving voyage to hunt 2nd season OTC elk in CO was enough for me.
I've done ~VT to CO 8 times and MA to CO a couple times. I'm not signing myself up for that drive anymore than absolutely necessary.

The real question is why @DouglasR hasn't figured out this side hustle. Buy a refrigerated truck, then run a pick up route from ID >MT>WY>CO - > midwest -> South-> New England Hit the major Cities. Charge like $200 for a deer $450 for an elk.

I cant imagine the sadness of leaving WY and seeing the buildings get taller and more frequent as you keep travelling back east.

I went from the west side of the Bighorns back to Minneapolis in a single day, and I think it was like a diver coming up too fat and getting the bends.

i drive from denver metroish to wyoming like 5+ times a year and it's the opposite

there is no greater feeling in the world than whipping past the welcome to wyoming sign on 287 and seeing that speed limit immediately increase by 10

my anxiety goes down by a factor of ten crossing that state line every time

i drive from denver metroish to wyoming like 5+ times a year and it's the opposite

there is no greater feeling in the world than whipping past the welcome to wyoming sign on 287 and seeing that speed limit immediately increase by 10

my anxiety goes down by a factor of ten crossing that state line every time
For me it's the corner after Red Canyon past Wolcott... then there is the dread that comes when you hit East Vail.

Respect.

As a NR I've done 960 miles to Western WY in 1 long and one short day. 1350 to NM in 2 long days. You got some long days ahead of you. I'd suggest you give the Doe Antelope tag 2nd priority and don't cut your elk hunt short. Your Midday naps are going to be pretty important once you hit the high elevation of Western WY.

When I had 2 tags back in 2013 there was only 80 miles between my Deer and Antelope units but moving between them was time consuming for sure. I used 14 days with 9 of them being budgeted as hunting days . The issue I encountered was a Late September Blizzard that dumped a foot of snow over a couple days. I lost two full days to weather and a full day to changing camp locations. It melted off eventually, and I could have ridden it out in my wall tent but be prepared for those monkey wrenches.

I went from the west side of the Bighorns back to Minneapolis in a single day, and I think it was like a diver coming up too fat and getting the bends.
I feel this… basically once we cross back into MN on 90 I get a serious case of the “blehs”…. And then it’s still 7 hours home

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back