Think it’s so easy??

I have done OH to CO 4 times now solo, St. Louis to Durango solo, Chicago to ABQ solo, Chicago to Missouri solo, all to hunt. Fun no, but I don't mind. I have my gear sorted to the extent that I can lay down in the back of my vehicle ( F250 or Audi Q7) and rack out to sleep pretty damn comfortably.

I try to bust butt the first day and leave before sunup, drive till 10 pm, crash in a rest area, then only have to drive 4-6 hours the next day.

Fall of 2019 I left Chicago at 5am, pulled into Amarillo around 10pm. Slept till 330am and met my partner and his wife for a red and green chile breakfast burrito at 8:30am. Hung out all day and acclimated. We lit out at daylight the next day for our 6 day backpack hunt.

Its tough. Especially the drive home. Your tired, just want to get home, etc.. 2017 I made it from Durango to just outside Hayes Kansas before I finally pulled over. I don't remember much of western Kansas. Pretty dangerous to do that looking back. I wasn't smart. Driving 600 miles after packing out camp and not leaving Andrews Lake till noon-1pm wasn't the best decision.

Idaho deer camp is exactly 1000 miles one way. Drive to my buddies house and have dinner with him and his wife the first day and the 4 hours to deer camp. On the way home it is a 19 hour straight shot. Every year I hit the remote lonely part of the trip and wonder why I do it but then I get to deer camp and it all makes sense.

I like driving better than flying but it’s only 1200 miles for me. I just like knowing I have all my stuff with me. Most of the time I have my kid with me (who will be married and gone soon) so that’s part of it. Tougher hunts for NR but more rewarding too. Only thing I don’t like is all the hate toward us.

There's an added bonus to flying. Airlines pressurize the cabin to 8,000 ft msl. You would get a jump on adjusting to the altitude you're hunting at.

View attachment 185332

* Owning a second home + having a vehicle title in another state does not qualify you for Resident status with regard to hunting licenses.
I know that.
You know that.
It's what happens when you have a job that pays you so well, you don't have to listen to anyone else. You're the smartest one in the world! 😜!

I feel this… basically once we cross back into MN on 90 I get a serious case of the “blehs”…. And then it’s still 7 hours home
The one thing I do appreciate about MN is the amount of water/lakes and how things are usually noticeably greener than SD or ND.

Holy smokes! Can't imagine. I admire you guys that have the tenacity and will to do things like that.

1,700 mile trip out to visit family two or three times a year. Wouldn't be too bad except for KC and St. Louis. Just an annoying distance. Either three miserable days of driving or two extra miserable days.

I've only ever driven on hunting trips, except for the return portion of a guided elk hunt we did in 2017. I had classes, so I bought a ticket and flew home on the last day of the hunt.

I love driving as it just feels like part of the trip. As part of a group, I have gone from Georgia to New Mexico and back two other times, three or four times to Central Illinois and back as well. Drove alone from here to the Texas/Mexico border to hunt when I was 20. I was so nervous!

Also, my young son lives just shy of 700 miles away from me, I make that drive and back two weekends in a row every three months. I'm an old pro at long drives.

I see the benefits of flying though, for sure. Some future hunts I hope to do would basically require it anyways. I will probably drive to Corado this year if I'm able to go. And my girlfriend and I are definitely driving to Wyoming if we draw pronghorn next year. After that, may be time to start flying some.

See that's the best part of flying, keeps you or your buddies from bringing stupid shit like hatchets or whatever this is...

View attachment 185345

Random guy at work: "You hunt right? Check out this MeatEater special edition machete/hatchet combo I just bought for when I go camping at a fully serviced campground!"

Me: "Cool."

For me it's the corner after Red Canyon past Wolcott... then there is the dread that comes when you hit East Vail.
Lol, so true! I consider any west slope trip over as soon as I cross the Eagle River near Minturn. The rest of the drive to the front range is pure pain.

On another note, big respect to the OP and others who drive that far to hunt out west. I bitch and moan about driving across the state to hunt!

Not sure what area you’re hunting near Rawlins but I hunted antelope in 2018 in 108 and if you’re not a trophy hunter you can be done by 9am on Day 1. Plenty of nice antelope in that region

I love having my own truck and all the needed gear with me, but only getting to hunt 6 out of 12 days, it doesn’t sound like a fair trade off.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back