Caribou Gear Tarp

Think it’s so easy??

Yes... I am one of those “no time to scout”nonresidents who somehow wants to attempt the annual DIY hunt anyway. This little doodle is what is currently on my mind as I feel a little overwhelmed at my latest fall torture gauntlet....uhh..I mean hunt. It also explains why I am not a trophy seeker (Aint nobody got time for that!)

On this trip, which par for the course will be to previously untrodden ground, I am feeling like I will be lucky to see a bull elk let alone arrow one. If I am successful in the WY draw, may also have doe tags as a backup hunt allowing me to end the elk pursuit early if its looking grim. If no draw, or if I am actually into elk, I can extend the main event for a day or two. Best case I get an elk out early, processed, then antelope in a few hours of hunting on the way home and be on my way. Somehow best case doesn’t always play nice with hunting plans.

Either way, an exhausting trip is planned. A solo drive-out DIY for an east-coaster is no joke. And this will be the first time ever stopping off at night. Guess I am getting old (and less reckless). Thought a few of you locals might enjoy seeing these hoops you hopefully will rarely have to jump through. Hunt time gets eaten up pretty quickly with 2100 mile bookends on the trip!
View attachment 185283
I know it can be exhausting, but please don't forget this is supposed to be fun.

Not sure what area you’re hunting near Rawlins but I hunted antelope in 2018 in 108 and if you’re not a trophy hunter you can be done by 9am on Day 1. Plenty of nice antelope in that region

Legit question, what do you guys think the percentage of WY antelope tags get filled the first day they’re hunted? 95%?!

You guys don’t like driving at all?
if I wasn’t a professional man of the road I’d be stoked to put on some music and burn up the highway.
I’m not a math guy, but based on the numbers I crunched for the cost of a plane ticket and rental car I can drive my own vehicle out there for substantially less money.
And I really just like having my own car and ALL my ish with me.

Here’s a complex spreadsheet I put together in quick books breaking down the transportation costs of my most recent skamping trip to Colorado.

$431.81 round trip for gas.
2,874mi
18.66mpg give or take. 41D42408-B72F-4192-9CF6-67B7E16159D1.jpeg

Most of my drives start at 2am to get into the backcountry, into WY, or out to NE by daybreak. It’s part of the experience - that being said I would not sign up for 2,000 mile road trip at this point. I’d fly and/or have my truck shipped out ahead of time to someone I know in the area.

did anybody see what @ajricketts did last year?
that was a drive!
33 hours for us to our camp in Montana. We drive it straight through on the way out. It sucks but waking up that first morning in the wall tent, having coffee and looking at those mountains, it’s worth it. I’ve flown a few times out but would much rather drive and have all my gear with me and taking meat back is so easy.

You guys don’t like driving at all?
if I wasn’t a professional man of the road I’d be stoked to put on some music and burn up the highway.

On a slow week, I’ll put on 1000 miles pulling a 32 foot tuna can (cattle trailer), so I just Loooove getting done with work to go on vacation… and drive 1000+ miles haha

You boys and your 1000-1200 mile drives are cute...

Screenshot_20210608-222132_Maps.jpg

Elk hunting in ID last year hurt. Its not the first 30 hours that gets you, it's the last 4.

We always drive straight through. It helps to have at least 3 people but we've done it with two a few times. My personal sweet spot is the 24 hour drive to eastern MT, leave in the morning and arrive in the morning- simple.

Last edited:
Guy on another site drives from PA to AK every summer to go salmon fishing!
THAT is a drive!

Okay, pre COVID-19, he drove to Prince Rupert, B.C., then a ferry to Ketchikan, AK.
Now it's PA to Seattle, WA, then a ferry to Ketchikan, AK.

Last edited:
Yes... I am one of those “no time to scout”nonresidents who somehow wants to attempt the annual DIY hunt anyway. This little doodle is what is currently on my mind as I feel a little overwhelmed at my latest fall torture gauntlet....uhh..I mean hunt. It also explains why I am not a trophy seeker (Aint nobody got time for that!)

On this trip, which par for the course will be to previously untrodden ground, I am feeling like I will be lucky to see a bull elk let alone arrow one. If I am successful in the WY draw, may also have doe tags as a backup hunt allowing me to end the elk pursuit early if its looking grim. If no draw, or if I am actually into elk, I can extend the main event for a day or two. Best case I get an elk out early, processed, then antelope in a few hours of hunting on the way home and be on my way. Somehow best case doesn’t always play nice with hunting plans.

Either way, an exhausting trip is planned. A solo drive-out DIY for an east-coaster is no joke. And this will be the first time ever stopping off at night. Guess I am getting old (and less reckless). Thought a few of you locals might enjoy seeing these hoops you hopefully will rarely have to jump through. Hunt time gets eaten up pretty quickly with 2100 mile bookends on the trip!
View attachment 185283
I’ve done a couple MT elk hunting trips where I drove-hunted for 7 days then flew back home for 2 weeks and then back out to hunt-drive back home for another 10 days. If you have the vacation time and some flexibility in your seasons this makes the drive a little easier. MT has a very long season so this may not be a viable option for a single tag in states like NM and others.

you have some big mile days there, so be sure you are being safe and taking regular breaks. Other drivers on the roads these days are highly distracted, follow way too closely and are very prone to road rage. I have traveled extensively for work the last 25+ yrs and driving hazards are at an all time high now in my opinion. Sharing the driving with someone would be ideal for a trip like you have outlined here...even if you have a family member make the trip with you they get a “ vacation” to a great part of the country while you go out and chase your elk solo.

View attachment 185283
Reminds me of my drive from Laramie WY to Florida with my three kids (all under 12) two years ago. 6 days of driving and only 4 days of Florida vacation. Flying this year.

You boys and your 1000-1200 mile drives are cute...

View attachment 185368

Elk hunting in ID last year hurt. Its not the first 30 hours that gets you, it's the last 4.

We always drive straight through. It helps to have at least 3 people but we've done it with two a few times. My personal sweet spot is the 24 hour drive to eastern MT, leave in the morning and arrive in the morning- simple.
Adorable... 😁😉

Screenshot_20210609-002512_Maps.jpg

This is the one @DouglasR is talking about. Me and dad, three days up, hunt 6 days, three days back. The first three days are easy, the last three suck lol.

We've never done it, or a similar drive, straight through. But we've done it in 2 days. That's rough with only 2 guys. And we were so wiped it was hardly worth getting there early.

The days of my cannonball runs may already be getting numbered but man I have had some great ones. Multiple straight throughs to or from CO, WY and ID. Leaving your house in New Jersey and taking first break other than gas at the “Abe Lincoln” rest stop east of Laramie or at Julesburg CO about 24 hours after leaving home is one if those “holy s*** how is this even possible” experiences. If timing works out and you hit central/western nebraska near sundown you usually see some bruiser whitetail bucks feeding out. First muleys to be seen in western NE, antelope seem to come in just at the NE / WY border, prairie dogs start popping up around Denver, etc. Have seen nice bulls and bucks from the highway pretty soon after getting into WY. It is always a feeling of adventure. You see a lot of country and can really appreciate it in a way no other mode of transport can give. Over the years I have always looked forward to crossin the Mississippi, the smiley face water tower in IA, been a bit dismayed by the ever increasing wind turbine creep, and been always awed by the first glimpses of the rockies from the edge of the grasslands. Inspires some guilt of modernity given how treacherous the wagon trail and frontier life was in earlier times. Side trips to Chimney Rock, pony express station, and WY frontier prisons bring that feeling home.

As was said earlier, though, its not the first 30 hours that gets you its the last 4. Going through Glenwood Canyon is a little swoopy, or my god that last middle of the night hour or two trying to complete the off-interstate piece from Green River to Montpelier.... deer in the road kept trying to kill me - After having survived the 70mph crosswinds and witnessing the trailer rollover gauntlet in WY that was almost too much!

This all says nothing for the effort of actual hunting, hiking, camping, cutting wood, hauling animals and processing everything I ever got myself. And getting acclimated in a day to being 10k feet higher than home. It is still the only way I know. I have no concept of how the guys that fly pull it off. Minimalists! Or maybe they never shoot anything??? (LOL) Or maybe they just can’t bear the thought ofvthe drive past Chicago during rush hour (OMG!!$&#%%#) Between vehicle, clothing, weapons, food, coolers, processing gear, and every supply contingency needed to DIY, I can’t fathom it. Clearly it is possible for many, so someday I should figure that out. Well thanks to all for the encouragement and equally... lol... any discouragement! It will give me things to think about on the drive!

Last edited:
This years planned drives one way mileage : Vt. to Saskatchewan (September) - 1991 miles, Vt. to Wyoming (November) - 2047 miles, Vt. to Kansas (December) - 1478 miles. I've done dozens of these over the past few decades. While I have flown a few times, I much prefer to drive. Most trips are with friends or my wife (also a friend ??), and pulling a cargo trailer. First day is usually a 2:00 AM start. After that , we start around 4:00 AM. I like to end the day around 6:00 or 7:00 PM. Time for a beer, dinner, shower, and sleep in something that isn't moving. Removing the wallet from your pocket as mentioned earlier is a good tip. I like to stretch my legs every few hours even if it's only for a few minutes. I know it takes burns more vacation days to not drive straight through. The trade off may be a safer driver behind the wheel, and to not be totally dragged out when you arrive at your destination.

So for you DIYers who fly, tell us about how you deal with your meat. What about your rifle, need to shoot it a few times to make sure it's still on?

The journey from Louisiana to SE Montana last year was an eye opener. I no longer have the appetite for more than 12 hours of driving in a day apparently. I spread out the trip up to 2.5 days. Could have done it in 2 but I didn’t want to have to rush to find and put up camp before dark. Also didn’t want to be completely drained upon arrival.

I still like driving. The journey is half the fun.

Adorable... 😁😉

View attachment 185371

This is the one @DouglasR is talking about. Me and dad, three days up, hunt 6 days, three days back. The first three days are easy, the last three suck lol.

We've never done it, or a similar drive, straight through. But we've done it in 2 days. That's rough with only 2 guys. And we were so wiped it was hardly worth getting there early.
I knew someone would one-up me! I was rooting for it to be something like Maine to southern AZ though, lol
So for you DIYers who fly, tell us about how you deal with your meat. What about your rifle, need to shoot it a few times to make sure it's still on?
I've flown to MT and HI for hunting trips. Meat packing is both an art and a science.

The bullet points-- Plan ahead, get the meat as cold/frozen as possible, check it into luggage, and mail your gear and clothes home. In the last few years I've flown a MT cow elk, a few MT mule deer, 50lbs of NL moose, 3 HI axis deer w/antlers, and a HI feral goat home with zero issues. Lightweight cooler bags or using regular luggage and insulating with clothes is advised. Leave the Yeti and Grizzly coolers at home.

I'll leave the gun commentary to an expert but in my limited experience just a shot or two to verify zero after landing was sufficient

Last edited:
I drive everywhere for mine and my dads hunts. I'm one of those crazy people that enjoys driving for hours. I do ALL of the driving too. Dad's driving scares me :LOL: My longest drive was to southern Arizona for coues and javelina. Over 30 hours total, spread out over 3 days. I'll probably end up doing it again this January, since our Wyoming antelope tags are probably not going to get drawn, and I'm not lucky enough to win the Maine moose powerball. I think the two toughest days are when you are bone tired, and still have to setup camp when you roll in. Especially if you get to the high country and have the brain fog that goes with the introduction to the thin air. The morning of departure is also tough. When you gotta tear down camp and head back east to the poor air quality, traffic congestion, and concrete jungles. Luckily, I live out in the hills so I never fully return back to all that. I honestly don't mind the driving. It just takes a lot of prep, which I love, and the will power to do it. BTW, my wife, boys (3 & 7), mom/dad just returned from the Black Hills on Friday from a combo turkey hunt/ family vacation--19 hours drive. The boys were great. We kept them engaged in what we saw along the roads...animals, farm equipment, wind turbines, big trucks, construction equipment...plus we had their favorite cartoons/shows saved on their tablets to watch which helped tons. Iowa was tough though...lol. Taught my 3 year old to look for water towers going through that state. He can spot a "wata towa" from more than a few miles away now! Also, remind me to never hunt the Black Hills after May 15 when the trails open to ATVs. It was a mad house. Saw lots of turkeys. Unfortunately, all the toms we saw were on the edge of private/public and they weren't budging back into public with all of the SxS and ATV traffic.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back