Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Think it’s so easy??

View attachment 185332

* Owning a second home + having a vehicle title in another state does not qualify you for Resident status with regard to hunting licenses.
Correct. In Montana you must live there six months to qualify as a resident but only have six weeks to change license plates if working there. And of course they tap your wages for state income tax from the get go. No waiting six weeks for that! Property tax is unkind in Montana because no sales tax. So buying a piece of property usually isn't cheaper than buying a nonresident license.

Here in Ontario/Canada I must reside six months and one day to be considered a resident. Theoretically, it's impossible to be resident in two states or countries at the same time. But a lot of guys still try it ... and FWP still busts them. It's usually the bigshot Eastern McMansion transplant "ranchers" who make the newspaper headlines when caught ... and they invariably get some pathetic fine instead of losing hunting license indefinitely. Money means nothing to those slobs. Take away their hunting privileges and you really hit them where it hurts. But the local judges never do.

Correct. In Montana you must live there six months to qualify as a resident but only have six weeks to change license plates if working there. And of course they tap your wages for state income tax from the get go. No waiting six weeks for that! Property tax is unkind in Montana because no sales tax. So buying a piece of property usually isn't cheaper than buying a nonresident license.

Here in Ontario/Canada I must reside six months and one day to be considered a resident. Theoretically, it's impossible to be resident in two states or countries at the same time. But a lot of guys still try it ... and FWP still busts them. It's usually the bigshot Eastern McMansion transplant "ranchers" who make the newspaper headlines when caught ... and they invariably get some pathetic fine instead of losing hunting license indefinitely. Money means nothing to those slobs. Take away their hunting privileges and you really hit them where it hurts. But the local judges never do.
Yeah seems like a really easy fix would be a nationwide database check. “Sorry you hold a Ohio Resident license”

Every fall I drive straight through from here to Montana. It's usually about 24 hrs though I think I once made it in 21 hrs. Can vary depending on where I decide to hunt the first couple of days. I usually leave around 3:00 a.m. to avoid traffic. And often after hunting geese in the morning and packing up most of the rest of the day. I try to time it so I'm passing through the ND oil patch late when the tender trucks are not as thick. Most of the twits driving those semis should be using training wheels. Highway 2 through Williston at four in the afternoon can be a frightening experience! On the return trip I invariably don't leave till the end of a day hunting pheasants.
20201207_155713.jpg20201207_155818.jpgThis was last fall. Filled out my possession limit but it took all day. The dogs were too beat to pose for photos. They crashed on the ground as soon as we got back to the vehicle. I made it home in second best time ever ... in spite of a blizzard at the tail end.

I'm 68 and starting to feel the burden of these drives. Just six hours coming back from Minneapolis Veterans Hospital yesterday seemed an ordeal. Probably recovering from surgery the day before had something to do with it. One thing that I've found is essential for long driving trips at my advanced age is wearing compression socks. Keeps blood from pooling in my verygross leg veins which makes me drowsy. The cheap Dr Scholls ones from Walmart are more comfortable than the expensive stuff. Not as good but good enough. I bought a fancy pair of "copper" ones at Walgreens a couple of years ago and simply cannot wear them. Too much compression.

You have to be a resident for one year up here.

We have also had people ask how long do they have to live here to become a First Nation individual with First Nation hunting rights ?
Just get adopted or marry someone. That's what they do down here.

For me its whenever you hit nothing but shitty 80s/90s rock or Jesus music...
I seem to recall counting seven different Christian FM stations when driving through Williston. Argh! Would be almost bearable if it was all Jesus music but about half the time they're blaring some motivational evangelist. Looking around at the crowd in Walmart there I think those preachers are waging a losing battle.

I seem to recall counting seven different Christian FM stations when driving through Williston. Argh! Would be almost bearable if it was all Jesus music but about half the time they're blaring some motivational evangelist. Looking around at the crowd in Walmart there I think those preachers are waging a losing battle.
I hear you on that! Born and partially raised there, it’s sad and sickening to see what the oil business did to that area! Last time I was in Williston there were 2 drug dealers outside Walmart in broad daylight…..
Matt

I do. AO coolers, US made, great product and company.

I have three, two 18 packs and a 12. I pack them in a standard cooler, with our boots and knives/whatever. Filled with meat we will carry them on, check the hard cooler and wear the boots. My son and I are leaving tomorrow morning for northern Alberta, waterfowl hunt.

I’ve done many fly to AK fishing trips and a couple of long weekend hunting trips to MT. My system works well, but is minimalist. I stay in a hotel and rent a truck. Take only what I absolutely need. I can buy anything that I didn’t plan for in town. One challenge can be finding freezer space until I leave.

Sure, I would love to have my own truck, but sometimes it is more practical for me to plan on spending more money, than days in transit.

Sure, I would love to have my own truck, but sometimes it is more practical for me to plan on spending more money, than days in transit.
Note to self: Listen to this guy. Those 24-30 hr solo roadtrips to Montana a couple of times a year have turned my hair white enough. Too bad the airlines aren't more friendly about my dogs during hunting season. Temps drop to freezing and they won't ship them in cargo. No chance of stuffing Ellie under a seat. I just need a partner to help drive. Maybe it's time to go shopping on the Russian dating sites. Wait ... what side of the road do they drive on over there?

Bullshot,
2003 me n a buddy drove from eastern Pa. to eastern Oregon straight thru, swapping driving on the tank fill. Having to watch the money I didn't get my next chance till 2019, a DIY OTC bowhunt in the San Juan's.
I get the drill. Sounds like your making the travel part on the total enjoyment, good plan. Goin west is expensive no matter what ya do, go when ya can and enjoy every minute.
Good Luck brother

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back