Things I Wish I'd known about Elk Hunting

What timeframe are we talking?

I shot a bull just before dark On a distant hillside. It was cold and I went and got my hunting partner to help me break him down. By the time we got back it was dark and everything looked the same. We looked for hours walking past him several times. We even made a circle about 15’ around him and never saw him. The sage was just tall enough it hid him. We called the search quits for the night and returned at daybreak about 6 hours later. From across the valley we could easily see him and made our way to him. He was on the ground maybe 11 hours. When we cut him open we could smell he had spoiled even though it was below freezing. We processed him anyway and maybe 10% of the meat was edible and I’m pretty sure that portion was from a different elk because the butcher felt bad for us.

Comming from the Midwest, we have had to leave Whitetails over night and never had a hint of spoiled meat. I never even thought of it happening with this elk. If I would of known I would of headed straight there after the shot. My hunting partner could of came back with me after the first load out. I would of never left that night Until it was at a minimum gutted and splayed open.

That was a expensive gut wrenching lesson I hope no one repeats. Don’t make my mistake. Elk is some of the finest table fare I have ever had, that animal deserves every ounce of your available effort once you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Never ignore the wind. It will beat you up every time.
Be aggressive, there are times to sneak, but there are also times (more often that not) to make a big huge freaking scene. Elk are loud and aggressive themselves.
Glass like crazy.
Never give up before the last minute of light.
Never ignore the wind.

Never ignore the wind.

Caller has to give him self up! He or she must do all they can to pull the elk into position for an easy shot for the designated shooters. This usually means distance between the caller and the shooter. Yea, you might get one that comes in the back door to the shooter, but a caller that thinks they are going to get a shot or a chance for themselves is going to be a bad caller. Also, if you can see the action you are to close. Elk are noisy. If you are the shooter be damn quiet. If you are the caller make some noise along with your calling. Hang ups should not happen if you have enough caller shooter separation.

Things I Wish I’d Known Before
a continuing work by RWesten

1. Always know the wind, always.

2. Set up in front of the brush, not in the middle of it.

3.Be ready to draw even if they’re already there. A slow draw movement won’t spook an elk like it will a whitetail.

4. Shots aren’t plentiful, take what you can get or you’ll end up regretting it.

5. Have an extra release

I’ll check back after the season to add to the list I’m sure

All good advice. I didn't see a mention of being prepared after sunset? If you hunt the evening be prepared to recover and butcher an elk in the dark. A good head lamp, extra batteries, call in help for more eyes and muscle, etc. Some of the lessons I learned the first few years include not trying to hide when setting up for a shot, practice judging distances in the woods, practice shooting at steep angles, be more aggressive and make something happen vs waiting and the biggest one: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME HUNTING WHERE THERE AREN'T ELK!

Did I hear Randy say he had six tags before he shot his first elk? :sick:

No wonder he is on a mission to help other DIY hunters.

The most likely time to see elk is if your pants are around your ankles or your boots are off, especially if your rifle/bow is over 10ft away.

Do a hitch in the Marine Corps and you’ll learn your rifle is never 10 feet away especially when your pants are around your ankles! And never means never!

Do a hitch in the Marine Corps and you’ll learn your rifle is never 10 feet away especially when your pants are around your ankles! And never means never!

My uncle was a marine and killed his one and only elk in this position. Still squatting, shooting opposite side (left hand for him), straight on head shot at close range.

Pick your elk hunting partners at least as carefully as you'd pick your spouse.

Don't get separated from your gear, in daylight or the dark.

Don't buy cheap boots, or try to hunt in new boots. Think of putting bald or worn out tires on your car or truck, and you will understand the importance of good, comfortable boots to your hunt.

If archery hunting, carry more arrows than you think you'll need.

Don't plan for everything to go right, plan for stuff to go wrong, because it inevitably will.

Back