Things I Wish I'd known about Elk Hunting

If you're given a good shot take it, don't pass up a good shot on any elk.
I like to walk in when I can see, lots of elk along the way you may bump in the dark.

1. Don't wait, go now.
2. Get in shape, real good shape.
3. Internet info you get from people can be wrong, bad wrong, so get in the unit and learn it and find stuff out for yourself.

Some of mine, whether mentioned already or not...

Be persistent. Some days will be absolutely discouraging. Keep going.

If you aren’t seeing sign, move.

If your plan isn’t working, change it.

Follow your nose. I don’t know how many times I’ve found elk after catching a whiff on the breeze and following it.

Know when to be patient, and when to be aggressive. Know the difference between aggressive and reckless. Calculated risks often pay off.

Make sure your circle of friends includes some with young legs and strong backs.

Don’t forget to stop and enjoy it. You won’t be able to do this forever.

Understanding thermals is the most important thing. Rather than hunting from below the elk on a slope in the mornings, I like to sleep in and get above them once the thermals start going up slope. I don't like hunting from below in the morning because I can't tell you how many times the thermals have switched on me right when i'm getting close to having an encounter within bow range. When hunting from above the elk with the thermals going uphill, you can locate with a cow call or bugle, and sometimes they'll come up hill. If they stay put, you can take a sidehill approach and get in their bubble. Then you cow call and bugle right on top of them before they're done responding.

1) Get off the road. Even 1/4 mile from a road will oftentimes put you in elk.

2) Be aggressive, especially during the rut. Bulls can be plain stupid when the rut is on.

3) If possible, have a cow tag with your bull tag in your pocket. The shots you get at cows will alot of times far out number shots at bulls.

I cannot stress enough to prepare yourself for after the shot. Good knives, good pack, game bags and getting the meat cooling asap. Get yourself familiar with the gutless method.

When I first started elk hunting I had a terrible problem of getting busted by bulls when they were vocal. They always sounded further away than they were and they were on top of me before I was ready. I got a great piece of advice after sharing my frustrations with a guy camping near me one year in Wyoming. Cut the distance you think they in half and get ready.

This heat is for the birds, bring on the fall!

I don't have a ton of elk hunting experience, but as it relates to archery hunting, practice as much as possible, as far in advance of your hunt as possible. Also, get your bow checked out by a shop. I had a bow malfunction one week before my hunt. This was partly due to the age of the bow, and partly due to how much shooting I was doing so close to the hunt. It might also explain some of the accuracy issues I was having prior to the full blown failure of the part. I got the bow repaired, but that destroyed my confidence and ultimately I missed two shots at a tank of a bull. Thankfully they were both clean misses, but that failure haunts me to this day.

IM in no way an expert on elk just one thing Ive notice is eastern guys I live in Pa, it seems just are so unprepaired mentally for western mtns
One hunt I was on their were 4 of us and I was the only one that could hunt for the week to many issues with 9000 ft elevation

Elk season 52 (I’m 64)rapidly approaching, only hunting my home state and my second favorite unit this year. For a number of years I hunted two or three states. I’m ok with that. I’ve shot quite a few bulls and a few cows and would offer to just take time to savor the moment. The pic is from last year, I learned you can’t cheat the mountain, time waits for no man, getting old ain’t for pussies and racing a 30 something guy to the top is stupid.
Use your nose, play the wind and savor every moment....

Attachments

• 6F4FFE05-623E-4160-8B52-DB4A42441CB9.jpeg
    6F4FFE05-623E-4160-8B52-DB4A42441CB9.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 55
Aim further back than you think. Find the back of the rib cage and come forward two ribs.

Don’t even look at the shoulder.

When you stop and let out a call, better have your arrow nocked and be ready.

After an evening and morning of hunting this drainage for my first time elk hunting a few years ago, we got down near this wallow and being exhausted, dropped packs and my cousin let out a few cow chirps while I walked ahead 10 yards, dropped my pack, took my jacket out, put it on, grabbed a bar, sat down and CRACK CRACK CRACK. Look up the mountain and here 300 yards up hill a herd is rushing straight to us. No joke, I grab my bow, get an arrow, nock it, put release on, look up and staring at me just 10 yards away is a big cow. She walks past me a bit and I quick draw and shoot her at maybe 6 yards tops. Then I realize, crap there is a nice 5x5 staring at me 20 yards away. O well, was so excited and this all happened in what felt like 60 seconds from when my cousin dropped his pack and let out a few calls. They sure we're load and fast coming in like that.

Aim further back than you think. Find the back of the rib cage and come forward two ribs.

Don’t even look at the shoulder.
What?????

Put it right in the < that is created by the scapula and the humerus. On and elk it's about a 6" triangle that has a tremendous amount of vasculature and the top of the heart. Hit them here and you'll likely watch them fall. If you go forward two ribs from the back that's 100% guts and you've made a miserable day of searching.

To echo what many have already said:

1. Wind is everything
2. Think outside the box
3. Stay out all day
4. Have fun and take pictures
5. Elk are where you find them
6. Set up in FRONT of your cover
7. Have an arrow nocked as soon as you set up to call

What?????

Put it right in the < that is created by the scapula and the humerus. On and elk it's about a 6" triangle that has a tremendous amount of vasculature and the top of the heart. Hit them here and you'll likely watch them fall. If you go forward two ribs from the back that's 100% guts and you've made a miserable day of searching.
My experience is that even with a rifle, shots towards the rear of the lungs mean an elk might run a long ways...

Something I frequently do a bad job at: stay hydrated and eat food throughout the day, even if you don’t feel hungry. Makes a big difference in your physical performance.

Perseverance. Work your ass off and figure out how to kill elk, once you do you’ll probably start doing it consistently.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back