Caribou Gear

They just don't build beautiful hunting guns like they used to.

I never was very wild about the wet glossy look. Remington's "bowling pin" Dupont finish was shiny and didn't wear well. Too hard I think. After years in the field my old 870 Wingmaster's beautiful burl stock developed spiderweb cracks in the finish. It was too hard and didn't shrink and expand with the wood in outdoors humidity, especially duck hunting. Layering up oil finish can produce the same shiny deep rich look but very soft. A fingernail can scratch it (but very easy to fix with a bit of the oil finish on fingertip). I prefer oil finish buffed down to the wood with steel wool. There's something about the feel of smooth naked walnut in the hands. I feel connected to the gun.

I recently added a rail to my old Springfield and initially felt awful about it. If I wanted quick detach rings, it was unavoidable. No one makes extended QD rings and I needed the extension to keep my scope on classic Weaver bases so switching them for a rail was the only solution short of drilling more holes in the receiver (ugh!). Turns out I was able to find a rail that wasn't hideously tacticool slotted end to end and had a cutout for convenient loading of box magazine. Doesn't look too bad (except for the mat finish which is soon to be fixed when I have the gun reblued). It resembles the old Leopold and Redfield mounts and rings.View attachment 216550
You are right, I much prefer the oiled look over the glossy finish.

I feel exactly the same way. I recently purchased this custom 1970's Paul Jaeger built on FN Mauser action in 30-06. Full walnut Mannlicher stock, classic lines and cheekpiece, with ebony schnable forend cap, 22 to the line hand checkering. Engraving and inlay, magazine floor plate, trigger guard, scope rings, and pistol grip cap by Claus Willig, two panel checkered bolt handle, Austrian Bohler Rasant octagon barrel with full rib and front sight base. Jeweling on full bolt and bolt release, checkered steel Neider butt plate, exceptional Jaeger trigger. I replaced the seventies Leupold Vari XII 2-7x with a 2000's Leupold VX1 2-7x in matte finish.

Attachments

• 20611-01.jpg
    20611-01.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20611-02.jpg
    20611-02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20611-05.jpg
    20611-05.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20611-13.jpg
    20611-13.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 12
  • 20611-09.jpg
    20611-09.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20611-14.jpg
    20611-14.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20611-19.jpg
    20611-19.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 12
My Ruger M77 is standard grade, made about 30 years ago. In my efforts to get it to shoot straight, others tried to tempt me into a more accurate, lighter rifle. But old school me, I'd rather carry a pretty rifle with a butter smooth action than one of these new things at 2# less, and one of those gritty actions.

And, I managed to get it to shoot straight (nice Leupold scope and glass bedded action, free floated barrel) - 1-1/2" at 200 yards. Pretty, and very elk accurate. No plastic stocks in my gun safe.

PS - What is the correct terminology for the style of stocks and for-ends on each of the guns above? What kind of receiver does the Savage and Browning have? I have heard of terms like "boxlock" and "sidelock" on over and unders. The Husqvarna has a Mauser 98 style controlled-feed action. There is no more beautiful and classic action than that in the world of bolt-action rifles. No Winchester Model 70, Weatherby Mark V, Sako, Tikka or Remington 700 was ever as pretty as that Husky 3000.
I shoot SxS's and have even had a couple overunder's. Seem's to me the side lock is little more than something to raise the price of a gun! Kind of like hand cut checkering on a rifle. Does it really do anything machine cut checkering won't? I don't think so! Oh I'm wrong. You pay more for hand cut!

I shoot SxS's and have even had a couple overunder's. Seem's to me the side lock is little more than something to raise the price of a gun! Kind of like hand cut checkering on a rifle. Does it really do anything machine cut checkering won't? I don't think so! Oh I'm wrong. You pay more for hand cut!
Yeah. It's like black fore end tips. Do they really look better (I don't think they do) or is it just an appreciation for the time and skill needed to fit it to a wood stock? Laser checkering is flawless but I will admit having the border on hand checkering does add to the aesthetic value. I would have thought by now some manufacturers would figure that out and combine laser checkering with an added hand carved border. Maybe someone has but I haven't seen it yet.

The correct answer for beautiful old rifles that hunt is the mannlicher schoenauer 1903.
Couldn’t agree more. My 3 favorites. Top is CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 for lions and tigers and bears (oh my).Middle is the all time best classic stalking rifle Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56, and bottom is Ruger 77 RSI in the classic savage 250-3000.

Attachments

• 6DF7750F-E6EE-4E8B-805B-18F74BA025D8.jpeg
    6DF7750F-E6EE-4E8B-805B-18F74BA025D8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I feel exactly the same way. I recently purchased this custom 1970's Paul Jaeger built on FN Mauser action in 30-06. Full walnut Mannlicher stock, classic lines and cheekpiece, with ebony schnable forend cap, 22 to the line hand checkering. Engraving and inlay, magazine floor plate, trigger guard, scope rings, and pistol grip cap by Claus Willig, two panel checkered bolt handle, Austrian Bohler Rasant octagon barrel with full rib and front sight base. Jeweling on full bolt and bolt release, checkered steel Neider butt plate, exceptional Jaeger trigger. I replaced the seventies Leupold Vari XII 2-7x with a 2000's Leupold VX1 2-7x in matte finish.
That rifle is flat out gorgeous. Now to take it into the carpathIan mountains And give it some character marks while hunting Ibex or chamois.

That rifle is flat out gorgeous. Now to take it into the carpathIan mountains And give it some character marks while hunting Ibex or chamois.
And risk having some baggage ape steal it? I was nervous getting my old WWII Springfield to Africa and back. Worrying about losing something like that would have given me a stroke before I made it to Toronto.

And risk having some baggage ape steal it? I was nervous getting my old WWII Springfield to Africa and back. Worrying about losing something like that would have given me a stroke before I made it to Toronto.
If you don’t hunt with it then it is just a bauble. Honor the craftsman who made it and use it for its intended job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back