There's alot of money out there

I've definitely been schooled on mule prices today, I'll tell ya that much
Robert, keep in mind that mules are, with very few extremely rare exceptions, sterile. Not like $30K buys breeding stock. Strictly a status symbol. Nothing more. The $700 mixed breed saddle horse I bought at the auction will get me or my stuff in to my camp just as well as a $10,000 Dodge City riding mule. It's like me buying a new Hummer for my trips to Montana. I can afford it but why? My 1998 Jimmy will get me there just fine and I'm no less worn out after 24 hrs behind the wheel.

Last edited:
One part of me wants the Sask Ministry of Environment to auction "Province wide tags" to raise funds for conservation.

The other part says: "#*^@#* no, this Province is one of the few places left where residents are put first and our herds properly managed" (forest fringe moose aside).

I can see a Sasky tag going for that much money, if not more, not hard to imagine considering the numbers I'm seeing.
You need to stick with the f*** no. Tag auctions are a slippery hole you want no part of.

One part of me wants the Sask Ministry of Environment to auction "Province wide tags" to raise funds for conservation.

The other part says: "#*^@#* no, this Province is one of the few places left where residents are put first and our herds properly managed" (forest fringe moose aside).

I can see a Sasky tag going for that much money, if not more, not hard to imagine considering the numbers I'm seeing.
You guys are truly blessed when it comes to muleys. I live and hunt near the border and see a lot of pics from sask acquaintances. There’s nowhere in North America a person can bowhunt giant muleys every year as a resident. Good management. If there’s one type of hunting I like watching on tv, it’s sask muleys.

At least in Utah, I feel it's true that wild sheep have benefited from conservation permit funds.

DWR and conservation groups have used funds to buy domestic sheep grazing permits and transplant sheep into units where they haven't existed in a century. We have sheep units now that didn't hold a single sheep a few decades ago, and other units that were recently stocked and currently growing their numbers to a huntable population.

Utah has had multiple units suffer die-offs over the last several years that were repopulated by conservation groups bringing in sheep from other states.

Antelope Island was recently repopulated with sheep from Montana and plans exist to bring in more breeding stock from NM. This was a partnership between DWR, WSF, and a private hunting company.

UDWR just partnered with SFW & WSF to create a "nursery" for Desert Bighorn in the state. Those funds came from conservation permits.

I think it's pretty clear that wild sheep have definitely benefited from conservation permit funds.

Absolutely true that Utah's wild sheep enthusiasts like Lee Howard have made a huge difference in wild sheep populations in Utah. I know Lee even spent his own money to come up and get a trailer full of captured Montana sheep to take back to Utah.

Robert, keep in mind that mules are, with very few extremely rare exceptions, sterile. Not like $30K buys breeding stock. Strictly a status symbol. Nothing more. The $700 mixed breed saddle horse I bought at the auction will get me or my stuff in to my camp just as well as a $10,000 Dodge City riding mule. It's like me buying a new Hummer for my trips to Montana. I can afford it but why? My 1998 Jimmy will get me there just fine and I'm no less worn out after 24 hrs behind the wheel.
You can die with all your cash stuck under your mattress, OH, and get bucked in the dirt with your $700 horse. Or cough up $46,000 for this sweetheart.

You can die with all your cash stuck under your mattress, OH, and get bucked in the dirt with your $700 horse. Or cough up $46,000 for this sweetheart.
Is there a weight carrying advantage to a mule? Nevermind, I will just have the plastic surgeon suck out all the fat so I can get my skinny jeans back on.

Is there a weight carrying advantage to a mule? Nevermind, I will just have the plastic surgeon suck out all the fat so I can get my skinny jeans back on.
No weight carrying advantage. Mules very typically tend to be more sure footed. They are also less likely to panic and lose their shit in sticky spots on the trail. Add on they tend to live longer and are more bio mechanically efficient on steep uphill and downhill trails and you can see why so many folks use them who pack a lot. And it’s not for status.

What part of pack string in my OP did all you folks not get?

I am planning for my new friend to have multiple $35,000 mules so we only have to make one trip. Sheesh. One mule. You guys are all cheapskates.

There will need to be a minimum of 10 mules. One for my friend. One for me. One for the wrangler. One for the butler. Six for camp, food, beverages, and a Sat. phone so I can continue “snobby tittering” on Hunttalk.
I've got a good string of horses nobody has been bucked off all week.
The last time we saddled them was in November ;)

I think it needs to be pointed out that with sheep conservation, we have real tangible results of those dollars being spent wisely and growing sheep numbers.
Sheep tag numbers before/after auction tags?
Population estimates before /after?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back