Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The Storms of Life

Last week I was in the Seattle area doing a Sports Show. Some of Leupold's shooting team was there. We talked about how I could be dead-on in the prone position, yet miss so many times at these steep angles. They walked me through what happens when most folks (me) address their rifle at a steep uphill angle; mostly how eye relief changes and what your scope picture looks like now that you are in a new position from how you've practiced for years.

At least if I miss, I am consistent in how/where I miss. I explained that I am that confident in my rifle and the setup that I repeated the same shot each time. Their comment, "Trust your bullet." In other words, when camera guys tell you the impact is high, don't send all your bullets high just because you are that confident in your setup. The rifle/scope/ammo is your factual indicator, don't disregard what it is telling you; adjust accordingly.

Oh well, live and learn.
Yeah, we know how all you TV guys are. Come up with some drama in the form of missed shots and uncertain outcomes to hook the audience…😂😉

Or, you can narrate it as your personal code of ethics to fire some warning shots to give your quarry the chance to escape.😄

Last week I was in the Seattle area doing a Sports Show. Some of Leupold's shooting team was there. We talked about how I could be dead-on in the prone position, yet miss so many times at these steep angles. They walked me through what happens when most folks (me) address their rifle at a steep uphill angle; mostly how eye relief changes and what your scope picture looks like now that you are in a new position from how you've practiced for years.

At least if I miss, I am consistent in how/where I miss. I explained that I am that confident in my rifle and the setup that I repeated the same shot each time. Their comment, "Trust your bullet." In other words, when camera guys tell you the impact is high, don't send all your bullets high just because you are that confident in your setup. The rifle/scope/ammo is your factual indicator, don't disregard what it is telling you; adjust accordingly.

Oh well, live and learn.
Randy, I totally empathize. My first shot on my ram went high and right. Missing completely. It was an uphill shot, maybe 30°, I was prone, over a backpack, steady as could be. Right at 400 yds. He bolted, ran uphill about 40 yds, stopped and gave me a broadside. I fought every impulse to hold dead on per my range finder and adjustments, and practice. I adjusted, held low left and still hit high right, taking him in the neck. My next time at the range had my poi very high and right, after 9 days of hunting, I must have knocked it off, not sure how. Certainly a first.

Just saw the episodes last night and read the post here afterwards. Great play by play here and appreciate your ability to take us along. Thanks

Glad to hear your mom was cleared and I hope she remains in good health. Cheers

Randy, I totally empathize. My first shot on my ram went high and right. Missing completely. It was an uphill shot, maybe 30°, I was prone, over a backpack, steady as could be. Right at 400 yds. He bolted, ran uphill about 40 yds, stopped and gave me a broadside. I fought every impulse to hold dead on per my range finder and adjustments, and practice. I adjusted, held low left and still hit high right, taking him in the neck. My next time at the range had my poi very high and right, after 9 days of hunting, I must have knocked it off, not sure how. Certainly a first.
The good thing about Randy's videos, and it has been said many times before, he leaves in the mistakes, many don't.

Regarding the missed shots, shooting at such an upward steep angle you hold under, I learnt this through my own experience and couldn't believe it.

I discussed the video with one of my New Zealand contacts (he has a lot more experience than I at shooting at steep angles) who watched the video, he came back with this:

1. Not controlling the forend - it is bouncing hard on the branch Randy is resting on.
2. Misjudging the hold under to take into account the steep shot angle.
3. Body position / head / line of sight angle relative to the scope.

Point 3 backs up what Leupold advised

The good thing about Randy's videos, and it has been said many times before, he leaves in the mistakes, many don't.

Regarding the missed shots, shooting at such an upward steep angle you hold under, I learnt this through my own experience and couldn't believe it.

I discussed the video with one of my New Zealand contacts (he has a lot more experience than I at shooting at steep angles) who watched the video, he came back with this:

1. Not controlling the forend - it is bouncing hard on the branch Randy is resting on.
2. Misjudging the hold under to take into account the steep shot angle.
3. Body position / head / line of sight angle relative to the scope.

Point 3 backs up what Leupold advised
Saw this comment out of the corner of my eye, " related threads".
Fairly common in construction to figure elevations by means of triangulation.

Let's say the hunters rifle is zeroed at 200 yds.
Target animal is lasered at 300 yds. (900')
To make it easy let's assume the incline is 45 degrees. Quick math would indicate the distance is 212 yds (636') on a horizontal plane. All things considered( gravity) the shot should be taken dead on, with no compensation for the line of sight distance of 300 yds.
Obviously most lasers take this in to account. But the point, I think, is for the hunter to try and visualize the horizontal plane on longer steep shots, either up or down.
Years ago(before distance finders) I missed a bull on a 50 degree slope at roughly 150 yards...yep, I compensated low, way too low, and hit right where I was aiming. Should have drilled him dead on. Long walk out.
Despite the current technology I always try to visualize horizontal plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back