The OYOA Whiteboard

One of the things that got me over to this site was the $2,000 Alaska black bear hunt. I think that showing folks that some of these hunts really are in the price range of an average person with a little saving is a great thing.

Maybe pick out a brand new hunting area for the episode (the $1,500 elk hunt) and have a companion post running on this site showing the research you did to prepare for the hunt. Google earth shots, thinking behind the area you picked, who you talked to, etc. Most of the folks from out east aren't going to be able to make a scouting trip in the summer so they are going to be locked in to scouting maybe a day or two before the hunt.

Ending up with an animal on the ground isn't the most important thing, just like your Alaskan black bear hunt. Most are looking for the experience more than anything and an animal on the ground is gravy. That's one thing you could possibly do on the site as well, go through what do do when the animal is on the ground with some step by step instructions. I think a good step by step video of someone doing the gutless method would be a huge hit. People are always asking about it.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Last edited:
BF- Have you ever gotten an answer if its a specfic forest/wilderness area rule or a USFS-wide rule regarding not getting filming permits in wilderness areas? I know for a fact they can be had on some BLM wilderness areas.

You are correct, BLM confirmed they can be obtained in some of the BLM wilderness areas. It was explained to me that those wilderness areas are under different regulations than USFS wilderness areas. Not sure, but that is how it was explained to me.

Region 1 of the USFS in Missoula told me that the no wilderness filming was for all wilderness areas in the USFS system. I have not asked any of the other regions, but have never been allowed a permit. I am to the point of just junking the idea of filming hunts in USFS wilderness areas, as it is not worth the hassle.

Still ticks me off when I see others do it, knowing how many hunts I pass on filming due to those permit restrictions.

Thanks. Sounds like a good case of whistle blowing needs to happen on some of these other shows...

And yes, BLM and USFS wilderness areas are regulated differently. Even different wilderness areas within the BLM may have different rules on something like filming.

Sounds similar to the issue of the TV Star going on out of state hunts and not knowing the rules & regs about say, shooting over a food plot?

You would like to see the sponsors of shows that break the rules draw a line in the sand.

In the original post, I said this Whiteboard was a rather "fluid" process, changing as we go along. This year, that is definitely the case. Thought I would post the pic of the board a month after the last one, to show you the changes and how much juggling it requires.

Having drawn WY elk, and planning to hunt that one with archery, it has changed my other plans as I go forward. My goal is three archery, so now having two archery (MT and WY elk), I changed my CO deer idea, which was originally an archery plan. That will now be points only.

If I draw AZ archery antelope, I will be booked for the archery side. If I don't draw, I will do NM elk as archery and possibly NV mule deer.

I am up against the wire for the elk hunts. I want five, and currently have 3. I am counting hard on AZ, having enough points to draw, if the odds stay the same as last year. After that, I need NM or ID to throw me a bone. Already feeling real lucky to have drawn WY, so really don't expect much from NM or ID.

I have KS on the board, but if I find out that I draw some other deer tags before then, it will move off. Not sure if I have any deer hunts that I will find out about before the KS deadline, so that might be an application, no matter what.

I have MT deer and MT waterfowl as separate hunts, if need be. I would like to combine them and show guys what great duck hunting we have in late November, on our public rivers and islands. And, some of the great whitetails on these small sections of State and BLM land along the rivers that can be combined with a waterfowl hunt. Not sure if these MT hunts will stay on the list, be combined, or taken off the list. Since I have those as a "sure thing," they are on the list right now.

Giving up on ID moose for this year. Maybe my 13th try would have been magical, but I want to get some hunts filmed in ID, so I am going to apply for controlled hunts of deer/elk/antelope. Want to feature a RMEF project in ID, if I am able to draw.

I have moved up some possible hunts in the slots, knowing some of them will be taken off, as the tag drawings come in. And have taken some off the fall back hunt list. Already applied for many of these states, so those have disappeared off the board, until I find out what/if I drew.

I really wish AZ would post elk and antelope before the NM deadline. That information would solidify my plans for the other states, in a big way.

Once AZ posts their results, I will take another pic, so you can see how this changes. When it is all done, and I have gaps, that is when it really gets frantic.

Every year, it changes, even after seasons start, due to changes in schedules, or some unforeseen problem.

IMG_0312.JPG

I have MT deer and MT waterfowl as separate hunts, if need be. I would like to combine them and show guys what great duck hunting we have in late November, on our public rivers and islands. And, some of the great whitetails on these small sections of State and BLM land along the rivers that can be combined with a waterfowl hunt. Not sure if these MT hunts will stay on the list, be combined, or taken off the list. Since I have those as a "sure thing," they are on the list right now.

Nice!!!! I hope this one sticks.

That's awesome Big Fin! Glad to see AK made the list anyway and ME was on there too. I think you'd have a good time in New England if it ever came together. Good deal!

my white board is fairly extensive and expensive this year but im tryin for muzzleloader tags in wyoming,new mexico,nevada,idaho,utah,hopin i draw something good,so far no luck on wyoming elk,will have to wait for later in the spring,,has very many people gotten overlucky and drawn multiple states at the same time? im sure its happened to a few of you out there?

You are correct, BLM confirmed they can be obtained in some of the BLM wilderness areas. It was explained to me that those wilderness areas are under different regulations than USFS wilderness areas. Not sure, but that is how it was explained to me.

Region 1 of the USFS in Missoula told me that the no wilderness filming was for all wilderness areas in the USFS system. I have not asked any of the other regions, but have never been allowed a permit. I am to the point of just junking the idea of filming hunts in USFS wilderness areas, as it is not worth the hassle.

Still ticks me off when I see others do it, knowing how many hunts I pass on filming due to those permit restrictions.

Have you considered the Crazies for Goats?
CrowNativeDaysmission028.jpg

Last edited:
Az Coues, pts? Apparently everyone is doing the same thing. I cant even remember how many tags havent even been bought over the last few years. Its a bunch. The coues are getting big too. 90+ "'s seems almost commonplace these last couple years.

seen your season 3 sizzle reel,wow, what episode is the spot and stalk 2 yard bow elk gonna be??? awesome ,cant wait,also are you doing spring bear in alaska again? those should be awesome.

May be getting a little bit ahead of myself here, but I think that I will have a wolf tag in my hand for the fall season. And, it will be filmed. I will scout like hell to find one before season opens. Nice to be on a network that will let me film a wolf hunt.

Hopefully guys aren't offended to see the waterfowl hunt get replaced by a wolf hunt. If I don't draw ID deer or elk, I might have to make a wolf hunt over there.

IMG_0323.JPG

I will not turn down a 9 day wolf hunt:D Somehow I don't think it would be as relaxing as a Alaska bear/fishing trip though.

OYOA-Wolf hunt in MT?

Now I would like to see that!!!!!!

Fin, What cha' gunna do in Idaho if ya come. If you want someone to tag along, I'm good for an extra set of eyes. I'm a little shy in front of the camera....... but I'm kind of fun around camp and take hiking and hunting to the next OYOA level ;)

.......I'd promise to stay dressed most of the time :p

Back