Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

The OYOA Whiteboard

I agree any elk is hard to pass up. Next year will be my first year archery hunting for elk and I'm pretty sure if any adult elk gets within range I am not going to hesitate to take that shot. Meat in the freezer is my main concern. It is definitely a trophy to me to set out with a plan and accomplish that plan of harvesting a wild animal.

I'm putting in for my bull moose tag this year in Idaho. I hope as a resident I can draw but the IDF&G met over the weekend and have yet to publish the new numbers. I figured I should put in while I can.

Been thinking about it, but the young guys are worried about me stroking out on them if I knock one down (Island Park). So.....

Ive been spending alot of time researching several of the states and applying in several states this year,hopefully i get lucky.as a true oyoa advacate part of the whole deal is doing the research and all applications on your own too.thanks fin for your show and resources to help us all out..

Big Fin or anyone for that matter...how and when do you find the Kansas leftover tags? are they generally on the west side of the state?

Big Fin or anyone for that matter...how and when do you find the Kansas leftover tags? are they generally on the west side of the state?

They are in different units across the state. They post them the day they announce the draw. Rather than rely on that, I am thinking I will apply for one in an area that had left over tags last year. Should give me a pretty good chance of drawing, now that I can't piggy back on Spitz's point.

I have found another good resource for draw tag odds,Its called hunters trailhead .com///it does draw odds for many of the western states and best of all its free,what a deal,Fin;id be happy to show you around blacktail country if you get out towards western oregon//no guarrantees but i think its a otc tag even for non residents.

Thinking of doing a piece about the $1,500 elk hunt. Walk people through the step-by-step process. I can do CO OTC elk for less than that. Anyone who complains to me about not elk hunting get very little sympathy.

If we did that series, in a step-by-step manner, I wonder how many people would actually be interested. Or, has TV and magazines skewed the elk hunting expectations to the point that learning about hunts without 350 bulls is no longer appealing?

I think this would make a great show. It would help those of us trying to make up our mind if we really wanted to try elk hunting own our own I believe.

Big Fin;215830 Thinking of doing a piece about the $1 said:
I would have loved to seen something like that before my first hunt for elk. I had to learn things the hard way. We go to Colorado and the people there in the DOW are great at answering questions and giving advice. They made it a lot easier for an on your own hunter.
Maybe you could sell a DVD version. Maybe a whole library of DVDs on different animals in different states.

CO isn't the only state you can do an elk hunt for $1500. Stop spreading the love to them and keep some for MT, ID, WY... I'd add UT, but I woudln't got to UT for $15,000. :D

Randy - you should consider California pig with either a rifle or bow - lots of public land available and lots of big pigs.

Ron

I cannot get a filming permit for USFS wilderness areas. Actually cancelled a goat hunt in Season One due to filming permit areas. Filming permit issues don't seem to bother some shows, but I prefer to go by the rules.

I'm curious about this, are we (I) to assume that some of the shows out there on TV Land aren't following the proper rules?

Are the rules different for filming for personal use?

Filming for personal reasons does not require a permit. Try to sell that video and you would need a permit.

I'm curious about this, are we (I) to assume that some of the shows out there on TV Land aren't following the proper rules?

I don't think that would be an assumption. That would be a fact.

Lots of TV shows are sweating the fact that John Lewton is being prosecuted for not obtaining the full filming permit for a DVD. TV guys are much bigger fish than a DVD group, so the TV guys who are cutting corners are hoping they don't go after them.

BF- Have you ever gotten an answer if its a specfic forest/wilderness area rule or a USFS-wide rule regarding not getting filming permits in wilderness areas? I know for a fact they can be had on some BLM wilderness areas.

Back