the NRA is ticking me off

So it's only wink and nod bipartisanship on dough til the war chest gulf widens?

No.

Both are using the current regulations & law to advance their agenda but only 1 is actually trying to do something to reign in spending, while the other one actively seeks to increase it's influence.

I know exactly what you mean with the phone calls and the 3-4 page, front to back, doom and gloom, sky-is-falling-down type letters, but it's really not that hard to just toss them in the trash and hang up the phone. That's what I do, and don't feel guilty or pressured about it. These tactics aren't exclusive to the NRA either. Nearly every membership organization uses these same cast-a-big-net-to-catch-a-few-fish methods.

Fact is though, your dues really aren't enough ( though they may well be all you can afford, and that's ok ). Without going in to a full on lecture on the current state of election laws in this country, quite simply, your dues don't help the NRA lobby legislatures or get laws passed, that would be illegal. They are required to raise funds separately through their Political Action Fund for that.

On another note, we all should watch what we say on gun related forums these days, since The Trace, Michael Bloomberg's propaganda arm, is seemingly scouring pro-gun message boards looking for comments that they can spin in to a story to use to bolster their agenda. Apparently that's what they're reduced to these days, as pathetic as it is.

Smile duckhunt, you're famous!

Some Hunters Say The NRA's Aggressive Fundraising Is Causing Them To Quit The Group - The Trace

Thanks for the heads up. The last thing I want is to be fodder for those idiots

Our politics: Auctioned to the highest bidders.

The same thing EVERY other lobby group will do....keep bribing, keep begging for money...you know the usual D.C. dog and pony "lobby" show. I would love to see "lobbying" made a federal offense, since it is nothing more than bribery. I think a minimum 10yrs in the clink would be a good start. The only people elected representatives should be listening to are the folks that elected them, not to the people with the deepest pockets or the nicest private jet, beach condo, so on and so forth...

When the SCOTUS ruled in its most ironically-named decision, Citizens United, that foreign corporations have the same right to $participate$ in supporting political campaigns as citizens do; that slippery slope became a teflon-coated Everest. Now we have Chinese, North Korean and Iranian corporate millions pushing whatever candidate or agenda will benefit them, in our political process. That includes the NRA: fearmongers to citizens and legislators, benefitting arms and ammunition manufacturers worldwide. The 2nd Amendment deserves better.

this is what the land grabbers and the politicians like Chuck Schumer love to see happen, the firearms owners that only think of hunting, and the firearms owners that are thinking of self protection and the shooting sports and hunting are against each other. All I have to say is why is a Montana law abiding citizen a with a concealed permit not able to carry a firearm concealed in the state of New Jersey. My argument with those that say New Jersey compared to lets say Minot ND firearm laws are different for a reason (gang related mainly) I always say, if you found a job offer and making Significantly more money in New Jersey are you willing to leave or sell some of your firearms to me. LOL SERIOUSLY , many firearms we take for granted in MT and ND are not legal in NJ. Then I say what makes you less of of United States Citizen when all you do is move from one state to another

For those bickering about "land-grabbing" politicians and so forth, and complaining that the NRA doesn't enter that arena, it's important to note that the NRA is a single issue group. They are solely focused on Second Amendment issues, and as we all know, the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, so the criticism don't really apply.

......, it's important to note that the NRA is a single issue group. They are solely focused on Second Amendment issues, and as we all know, the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, so the criticism don't really apply.

That would contrary to what they tell hunters. I don't disagree with your claim they are a single issue organization, but they are always saying they represent hunters. They have an entire magazine with the name hunter in the title; "American Hunter."

Someone needs to tell the NRA they are only a one-issue organization so that when they interact with hunters they are not making false representations of what they will do on behalf of hunters.

I have no problem with the NRA being a single issue group. Just don't make commitments to be advocates for hunting and then talk a walk when hunters could use your help. Pretty simple. If you say you're in, be in. If your're not going to be in, say you're out.

For those bickering about "land-grabbing" politicians and so forth, and complaining that the NRA doesn't enter that arena, it's important to note that the NRA is a single issue group. They are solely focused on Second Amendment issues, and as we all know, the Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting, so the criticism don't really apply.

I've had a beer so my sarcasm detector is off. I assume you are being sarcastic?

I quit the NRA because the were specifically and actively involved in a Blue Ribbon Coalition action regarding use of motor vehicles in roadless areas. They are (or were) involved in sh*t that has nothing to do with the Second Amendment.

Mailings, yes. Phone calls ..... if you are getting phone calls from RMEF, I want to know about it. You might get a call for your local big game banquet, but if you have someone soliciting you for donations via phone, please send me a PM with details.

As for mailings, I agree, I have enough mailing labels for a lifetime. Flip side of that is the response rate you get from this mail campaign is off the charts. If this was not increasing net cash for mission, RMEF would not be doing it. Our staff and the service contractor we use, has it down to a fine science. I cannot disclose what the net-net is on that, but I can assure you that it is enough to help us conserve/improve over 100,000 acres of habitat per year.

So, I hope you will continue to pardon us for that imposition on your mail box and you will use the mailing labels whenever you can to provide more exposure of RMEF. As much as it might seem to be a waste, it is actually helping conserve wildlife habitat.

Thanks for the support of RMEF. For 2015, RMEF had another amazing year. Our staff was given a goal of membership increase of 3%, which they exceeded by almost double that. They were given a financial goal of increasing net activity for mission investment by 5%. They increased net for mission investment by 40%. That is a big percentage and a really big dollar amount that means more conserved acres and more access acquired.

The staff at RMEF are some very qualified professionals, at all levels. Every year since I have been on the Board of Directors has been a new record for net income for mission investment and for membership. Honestly, I am expecting that sooner or later the growth curve will flatten or drop slightly, but every year I predict that, the results prove me wrong. Shows what I know.

Now, back to those phone calls. If any of you are receiving phone calls for purposes other than invitations to your local big game banquet, please send me a PM.

Where are the mailings printed? Not to derail the NRA love train....
and no phone calls for me, ever, because I don't give anyone my phone number.

Got a vile "end of the world" recorded message on the phone from Uncle Wayne yesterday. It was so bad I tried to record it but didn't get the recorder on before he started saying the solution was to give the NRA more money.

They call my office atleast 3 times a week and we see the "NRA" on the caller ID and when we pick up the phone nobody is there?

Super annoying. If you're going to harass me at least have someone on the other line.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back