the NRA is ticking me off

So they also write the legislature every time a new gun control law is proposed? They've had enough too?

I don't know. I just think it's silly to say that one party supports something wholesale unless it's free puppies for kids who will vote for that party in perpetuity.

Just like all republicans don't support transfer, not all democrats support gun control.

I don't know. I just think it's silly to say that one party supports something wholesale unless it's free puppies for kids who will vote for that party in perpetuity.

Just like all republicans don't support transfer, not all democrats support gun control.

There's an understatement, yet not very much voiced locally.

If they do not support gun control, then they are not true Demoncrats based on what their current national stance is.

Here is some interesting reading regarding federal land.
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/06/02/06/greenslade.htm

The NRA sends so much mail they're probably depleting an entire forest just with what they've sent me in the past year. I've received membership renewals from the very first month that I joined--which is strange in itself. Why would I renew when I just joined?

But then again the only reason I'm a member is because I have to be in order to join my local gun range. Personally, I find their tactics to be hideous, fear-mongering, and not reflective in any way of how I feel as both a gun owner and a person who avidly participates in the democratic process.

The fact that I carry one of their cards in my wallet makes me laugh, the NRA has become a ridiculously out-of-touch organization. They're basically an SNL character, taking them seriously is a joke in itself.

Above everything though, the amount of mail is still the thing I find most upsetting. What a waste.

But then again the only reason I'm a member is because I have to be in order to join my local gun range. Personally, I find their tactics to be hideous, fear-mongering, and not reflective in any way of how I feel as both a gun owner and a person who avidly participates in the democratic process.

The fact that I carry one of their cards in my wallet makes me laugh, the NRA has become a ridiculously out-of-touch organization. They're basically an SNL character, taking them seriously is a joke in itself.

The Logan gun range requirement to join the NRA is a joke. I stopped shooting there many years ago due to this requirement.

Do you guys receive a ton of mailers/phone calls from any of the other non-profits out there. More hunting/conservation minded groups.

Been a member of DU for while and was considering joining a few others, BHA? Pheasants forever? RMEF? QDMA?

I think we're all fine with junk mail... mainly just don't want to get harassed on my phone. It rings enough as it already is.

Do you guys receive a ton of mailers/phone calls from any of the other non-profits out there. More hunting/conservation minded groups.

Been a member of DU for while and was considering joining a few others, BHA? Pheasants forever? RMEF? QDMA?

I think we're all fine with junk mail... mainly just don't want to get harassed on my phone. It rings enough as it already is.

I've never had any trouble with American Prairie Reserve. I like them and their mission, so far, and they don't bug me. I send my money once per year and receive emails about once per month and mailings about twice per year. They had a survey specifically asking about that and I told them to save their money when it came to me and put it into the mission. Never been up there and probably never will go, but I'm a bison freak, I like their ideas, and hope it spreads like herpes.

I've never had any trouble with American Prairie Reserve. I like them and their mission, so far, and they don't bug me. I send my money once per year and receive emails about once per month and mailings about twice per year. They had a survey specifically asking about that and I told them to save their money when it came to me and put it into the mission. Never been up there and probably never will go, but I'm a bison freak, I like their ideas, and hope it spreads like herpes.

I wouldn't stop at any bar in Malta for a drink and say that you hope the APR ideas spread like Herpes.

Nemont

The NRA sends so much mail they're probably depleting an entire forest just with what they've sent me in the past year. I've received membership renewals from the very first month that I joined--which is strange in itself. Why would I renew when I just joined?

Above everything though, the amount of mail is still the thing I find most upsetting. What a waste.
The Park Country Rod and Gun club (Livingston) has a range with a yearly membership of ~$40.

I guess I must be the luckiest NRA life member on hunt talk, I have shot high-power, small bore and there long-range sanctioned matches for many years and have also attended many friends of the NRA banquets and there national NRA show when the time falls right and I can honestly say I might get one maybe 2 calls a year, hell FWP calls me more. They know I exist must just be lucky.

One other thing, I have been to the national matches at Camp Perry Ohio and have had the privilege to shoot with some fine people from over seas, whether it be Britain, Australia, and even some Frenchmen and the one thing they all have in common is they wish they had our NRA fighting for them. We live in a country with many freedoms and our ability to take a 870 to the trap range or a M1A to the rifle range is second to none when compared to other countries, including our friends to the north.

I wouldn't stop at any bar in Malta for a drink and say that you hope the APR ideas spread like Herpes.
Nemont

Reminds me of the time I stopped at a bar in Avery, Idaho with a friend of mine and we "discussed", with a bunch of loggers, my efforts to kill logging. :hump:

The Park Country Rod and Gun club (Livingston) has a range with a yearly membership of ~$40.

Lewistown's range is probably the nicest I've shot at and was heavily subsidized by the NRA and FWP. I want to say their fee was $20 partly because it was (is) heavily funded by NRA. I maintained my NRA membership when I was living there. I get their emails in my junk folder but rarely get their mailers.

Dillon's range is $15 but isn't nearly as nice and I don't think they get much, if any, money from the NRA.

Funny how they pick current members to send renewal forms but previous members like myself don't get any.

Lewistown's range is probably the nicest I've shot at and was heavily subsidized by the NRA and FWP. I want to say their fee was $20 partly because it was (is) heavily funded by NRA. I maintained my NRA membership when I was living there. I get their emails in my junk folder but rarely get their mailers.

Dillon's range is $15 but isn't nearly as nice and I don't think they get much, if any, money from the NRA.

Funny how they pick current members to send renewal forms but previous members like myself don't get any.

Wow, those rates are a steal. I quit buying access to my local range three or four years ago when the hiked the rate up to $50 a year.

I'd like to thank RMEF for all the fire starter I get from them... especially those envelopes that they have to fold 3x to fit inside my PO box...

I am a very proud supporter of the NRA. I might not agree with everything they stand for but for the most part I support their overall goal. I pay my annual dues to them and other organizations every January. I am not rich but I do my part with dues. The NRA finds it necessary to call me 2 to 3 times a day asking that I donate more money. It is explained to me that if I want to keep my gun rights they need more money. I have explained to them that all I can afford is my annual dues. They keep calling and I have gone as far as telling them to stop calling. Im to the point where when I see that number on my phone I just dont answer. Has anyone else had this problem?

I know exactly what you mean with the phone calls and the 3-4 page, front to back, doom and gloom, sky-is-falling-down type letters, but it's really not that hard to just toss them in the trash and hang up the phone. That's what I do, and don't feel guilty or pressured about it. These tactics aren't exclusive to the NRA either. Nearly every membership organization uses these same cast-a-big-net-to-catch-a-few-fish methods.

Fact is though, your dues really aren't enough ( though they may well be all you can afford, and that's ok ). Without going in to a full on lecture on the current state of election laws in this country, quite simply, your dues don't help the NRA lobby legislatures or get laws passed, that would be illegal. They are required to raise funds separately through their Political Action Fund for that.

On another note, we all should watch what we say on gun related forums these days, since The Trace, Michael Bloomberg's propaganda arm, is seemingly scouring pro-gun message boards looking for comments that they can spin in to a story to use to bolster their agenda. Apparently that's what they're reduced to these days, as pathetic as it is.

Smile duckhunt, you're famous!

Some Hunters Say The NRA's Aggressive Fundraising Is Causing Them To Quit The Group - The Trace

Last edited:
That's right. When Obama took office with the dems controlling both houses of congress they immediately implemented sweeping bans and not just on ARs. :rolleyes:
Of course they didn't... Obama had another election he wanted to win. He was guilty of the same political cowardess he accuses others of. On the other hand, are we going to pretend for one minute that the political landscape on gun issues is the same as it was in 2010? I don't think so. Democrats are emboldened and out for the blood of the Second Amendment. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention.
THE only way the dems can do as you say, *legally* is if they float and pass an Amendment to the Constitution.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that simply is just not the case. There are plenty of ways they can effectively gut the Second Amendment if they garner the power to do so. Sure, it could be challenged and take years to make it's way through the courts, and then in the end the courts might approve whatever they do, so where would that leave us? Don't be lulled in to a false sense of security just because we have the Second Amendment. That Amendment means whatever the courts say it means.
Short of that, the NRA should put their money where their mouth is, on fighting the penny-anti BS policies, rules, regulations and statutes which are written and passed by simple legislators and executives at the local, state and federal levels.
That's exactly what they do.
P.S. See Heller and McDonald
Contrast that to said "sweeping gun bans" that haven't happened and if they did how would they will stack up against Heller and McDonald.
It's almost as if you guys don't realize that Heller and McDonald are 1 Liberal supreme court justice appointee away from being over-turned......

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back