The next craze in bullets?

The Accubond is not the equivalent of a tipped partition. The partition has a low antimony front half that expands readily even at low velocity. The ABLR probably behaves fairly closely to the way a tipped partition would. I have not shot, or personally witnessed an ABLR on game. I would love a streamlined, high B.C., tipped Partition.

I like fragmenting bullets PROVIDED THE FRAGMENTATION OCCURS DEEPLY. The old Ballistic Tips did that reasonably well as long as you didn’t hit any bone. The new ones don’t fragment without really high impact velocities or bone hits, at least in my experience. Prior to trying the Bergers I preferred not enough fragmentation and too much penetration over too much fragmentation and not enough penetration.(not that you really have too much of either assuming you still get enough of the other) I’ve killed two WTs, five MD, an elk, and a couple hogs with Bergers. I’ve never seen a bullet cause as much destruction, and yet in all cases, the bullet penetrated a fair distance before fragmenting. The wound channels have been wide and long, and neither impact velocity nor bone hits have been an issue. I’ve had five exits. Four with a .308 at impact velocities from about 1900fps-2200fps, and one with the 6.5 at an impact velocity of around 2200fps. The remaining kills were with the 6.5, all at impact velocities of 2700fps or more, one of which was pushing 3200fps. The soft tissue destruction was incredible even at low velocity, and the fragmentation was delayed until the bullets were inside the chest cavity even at high velocities, and through shoulder blades. I’ve not had results like that with other frangible bullets.

Hey Bill, I used the 210 ABLR in my RUM when they first came out. Killed four critters. Promptly went back to the regular Accubond. mtmuley

Hey Bill, I used the 210 ABLR in my RUM when they first came out. Killed four critters. Promptly went back to the regular Accubond. mtmuley
Knowing i'm not Bill, but why the sudden switch away from the ABLR?

Hoping to get to use the 150gr ABLR in the 7mm Rem Mag.
They shoot great out to 600 yards, haven't tried them to 1,000 yet.
Note, personal max for hunting in the 400 yard range. Just my preference.

Knowing i'm not Bill, but why the sudden switch away from the ABLR?

Hoping to get to use the 150gr ABLR in the 7mm Rem Mag.
They shoot great out to 600 yards, haven't tried them to 1,000 yet.
Note, personal max for hunting in the 400 yard range. Just my preference.
Close range high velocity impact on a bull. Quartered slightly away at 80 yards. Shot him where his neck meets the body. 3100 fps from a .300 RUM. Bullet didn't exit and fragmented badly. Had to finish him. Dead bull, but bad performance. Damn sure don't act like a Partition. The regular Accubond behaves much better at closer ranges. mtmuley

Close range high velocity impact on a bull. Quartered slightly away at 80 yards. Shot him where his neck meets the body. 3100 fps from a .300 RUM. Bullet didn't exit and fragmented badly. Had to finish him. Dead bull, but bad performance. Damn sure don't act like a Partition. The regular Accubond behaves much better at closer ranges. mtmuley
Broke up on spine?
Or just broke up?
Shame to hear either way. My 7mm Rem Mag loves the 150gr ABLR.
Was able to pull a fluke 1.5" group of 3 at 600 yards. The stars definitely aligned on that day.

No problem. It would be an interesting experiment. To some effect we are all seduced by the technology out there. I like new gear as much as the next guy. For some folks it seems that the gear is more important the the game. I feel some folks would get bored and lose interest if there wasn't new stuff out there every day.

I've witnessed it firsthand. Idaho used to have "traditional muzzleloader only" seasons. I miss those days. I was in a meeting where enough complaining about , "Getting with the times! It's not fair! Who still uses those? You can't kill an elk with a lead ball!" Got it changed. I mentioned I loved mine and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk at 200 yards with a traditional. It fell on deaf ears. As a result 2 years later they just closed the seasons altogether because to many hunters and to many elk where being taken. I still love feelling a hammer click back, setting the ready man, and touching off a puff of smoke knowing it would result in as 1 shot dead elk. Next to nobody hunted those hunts. I did and loved it. Now nobody gets to go on that hunt without drawing the tag. We still have muzzloading restrictions that keep a lot of people from doing it. I hope they stay.

As far as new bullets goes I'm glad we made some improvements. I caught the tail end of the days where magnums where better because bullet performance was limited and sometimes poor at low velocity. Now I use a .308 with good bullets and have good results. But as with new developments eventually come restrictions. As with the muzzleloader case above at some point rifle use will be controlled hunt only or some other equipment restriction. The question is just what restriction and how long before we have it. Bullets are getting better, shots are getting far, and more hunters are doing it. I'm not against it but can tell at some point rules will change because of it.

Well shoot. Been waiting since about 1969 for my cup and core Hornady bullet's to fail me. Two thing's about them, they've never failed me and they are inexpensive!

Well shoot. Been waiting since about 1969 for my cup and core Hornady bullet's to fail me. Two thing's about them, they've never failed me and they are inexpensive!
They work great for you and your cartridge. My RUM would render those bullets useless. Some cartridges and the velocities they produce lend themselves well to a bonded or mono bullet. Cost is irrevelvant to some of us. Or, if you just like to keep up on modern bullets that kill well. mtmuley

Preposterous! After reading many posts on this forum I know it's just not possible to kill an animal with plain old cup and core bullets.
Only the best, most expensive bullet will do the trick and they will fall like they have been hit with Thor's hammer. 😉

The "premium" bullet seems like the biggest and most current internet myth to me, but that do I know. I thought Remington Corelocks are premium bullets.

The "premium" bullet seems like the biggest and most current internet myth to me, but that do I know. I thought Remington Corelocks are premium bullets.
Corelocks in my 30-30 are about as close to a muzzleloader as I gotten. Sometimes it goes off, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kills stuff, sometimes it doesn't. *Technically it's killed all three deer I shot with it before upgrading, but the first one was hit in the shoulder and didn't even break the shoulder blade, the only thing that killed it was that the hit caused it to lose it's footing on a very steep hill and the fall broke it's back.

Neffa3, you gotta ways to go! :)

Core locks passed through all the deer I've shot, including both shoulders. I would shoot elk with them.

Well the advertising on the ABLR is that it is designed to open up even at low velocity. Although I was hopeful that the base would hold up a little better than it did in you’re experience, I wouldn’t have expected penetration to be similar to a regular AB when propelled at 3100fps and impacting the target at only 80yds.

One of the things I currently like about the bullet I’m currently using is that performance seems great over a wide range of impact velocities.

If the ABLR is no good at high velocity, then I still say a streamlined and tipped Partition would be a nice addition to the Nosler lineup. Why do I care anyway? I’m pleased with what I’m shooting.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back