Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

The Hoax Record Bull

Jezz

This story is a bunch of bull
Posted: Thursday, Oct 05, 2006 - 11:23:40 pm PDT
By MIKE McLEAN

Photo by Sam Coulter
Contrary to e-mail descriptions of this bull as a new world record from Idaho, it was actually harvested at a game farm in Canada by Lou McMurray of California, right, with guide Tony Barber.

Reported record Idaho elk was shot in Canada in fenced area

Staff writer

COEUR d'ALENE -- The story circulating with an e-mail photo of a ginormous elk is quite a load of bull.

"This elk was killed with a bow in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness" of North Central Idaho, the caption says. "He green-scored at 575 inches and should net out at about 530 nontypical."

That would make it the biggest bull elk ever taken with any kind of weapon.

The world record score for a nontypical elk taken by fair chase is 450 6/8 inches for a bull harvested in Arizona. The Idaho record is nontypical 430 4/8 inches taken in Latah County in 1977. Nontypical means one antler doesn't closely match the other.

The bull in the photo apparently is real. The story that comes with it isn't.

The description with the e-mail photo was immediately greeted with skepticism by Idaho wildlife experts.

"The 79-inch spread and all of the measurements are too big for a wild elk," said Jim Hayden, regional wildlife biologist for Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

He said more than 40,000 elk have been measured in the Panhandle Region and none scored close to 500 inches.

"There is no way anything up here could have produced that elk," he said.

Just to the south of the Panhandle Region, the Selway-Bitterroot habitat simply doesn't provide enough nutrition for an elk to get that large, he said.

"This is a domestic elk that was fed high-quality protein and selectively bred from other large bulls," he said.

As it turns out, the elk in the photo isn't from Idaho or even the United States. As big as it is, it doesn't qualify for a score in the leading hunting record book.

Mark Hatfield, one of the official scorekeepers with Boone and Crockett Club in Missoula, said the elk came from a fenced game farm in Canada.

Tony Barber, manager and guide at Laurentian Wildlife Estate near Arundel, Quebec, confirmed the elk came from his private reserve.

He said the Manitoban elk -- the largest elk species -- had a 12x10 rack.

Barber said the free-range animal had no supplemental feed and its massive size was due to "pure genetics."

He said he has picked up shed antlers from the elk that scored more than 500 inches four consecutive years.

"People thought I was crazy," he said. "But then it measured even bigger."

He said the elk was difficult to find on the 1,000 acre fenced estate in the Laurentian Mountains.

Trophy elk hunts at the estate start at $4,900, according to the business' Web site.

Hunting purists don't consider the taking of an elk from a fenced area as fair chase.

"It would not be eligible for our records," Hatfield said.

Another reason shooting preserves should be banned outright.

Gives hunters a black eye, also the contamination of legitimate trophies taken in the wild. Waters down the records and belittles true trophies taken with hard work and boot leather.

How say you Tom?

Really? That bull didn't come from the Selway? I had no idea...........NOT

No chit that wasn't a wild bull, but thanks for posting some facts. I have heard about this bull from 3 or 4 unrelated people and received the e-mail several times.

Some people actually thought it was real, and really from Idaho.

"He said the elk was difficult to find on the 1,000 acre fenced estate in the Laurentian Mountains."

You have got to be kidding me!

shoots-straight said:
Another reason shooting preserves should be banned outright.

Gives hunters a black eye, also the contamination of legitimate trophies taken in the wild. Waters down the records and belittles true trophies taken with hard work and boot leather.

QUOTE]

Agree Completely. I wouldn't go on a canned hunt even if it was free, just my opinion.

Isn`t this where the Texans jump in and tell us all how diffuclt it is to hunt High fence and on and on and on,,,,,

280 said:
Isn`t this where the Texans jump in and tell us all how diffuclt it is to hunt High fence and on and on and on,,,,,

As far as I know you've never proven to kill anything, let's see some pics D-Bag..........

geez ,,,another clue,,look at the skull where the nose sits on the ground, look at the difference in the second dudes hands where he is holding the antlers, ghost fingers,,, danr wanna by some Wyoming beach property? PHOTOSHOP

280 did you go out and get a new photoshop!!!!!!!!!

If someone hunts with a 4-wheeler instead of boot leadther should their elk go in the books ?

2DB80, Do you still have the Photoshop Beach property in Idaho for sale? I might be able to sell it for you.

:cool:

FAIRCHASEBEN said:
If someone has his lard ass stuck to the seat of his wheeler when he shoots then HELL NO!!!

Now that is funny. :D :D

danny or someone,,, I want you to post the two pics on here side by side, the one with the two "hunters" in the pic and the one of the bull looking at the camera standing over the feed bowl

And I quote........
what a-con said! the current world record is 465 and change net Boone, you guys believe that this bull is real and beats the current record by not 5 or 10 inches, but 65 inches of score ,,,come on thats almost 5 1/2 FEET more anybody that thinks its real is a moron
The point is you said that it is not real...

280 said:
I want you to post the two pics on here side by side, the one with the two "hunters" in the pic and the one of the bull looking at the camera standing over the feed bowl

Why? Seems like all you're doing is asking for a bigger shovel.

280 said:

Yes, because everyone that lives and/or hunts in Texas does it in pens. I'm selling my beach house in Nebraska if you're interested.

280 said:

.....yawn.:rolleyes: :cool:...sorry but I get no satisfaction out of yelling obscenities at the shortbus. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back