The Bucket List of hunts?

Marco Polo sheep
Ibex in one of the 'Stans
Lion in Zim or Zambia
Elephant in Botswana (not looking good for this one now!)
Musk Ox

Hey, it's the bucket list not the realist list! :)

Here's my current bucket list, preferably all from Wyoming:

1. 160"+ Ram (160"-170" should be very achievable in a good area, have 12 points)
2. 340"+ Elk (have a 330")
3. A respectable Moose (can't field judge them very well yet, have 12 points)
4. 170"+ Muley (not much to show for in the mule deer category)
5. 150"+ Whitetail (have three 140" class bucks)
6. 85"+ Antelope (have taken some nice bucks, just not B&C caliber)

I'd also like to draw a Bison and Mtn. Goat permit in my lifetime and kill a Wolf, Mtn. Lion and a bigger Black Bear than I have now but those things may be unrealistic.

I've never really had a bucket list, but I probably wanted a mountain goat from Montana more than any other. I lucked out and drew that tag in 1998 and found a good billy with great hair.

I'd still like to hunt a Montana grizzly bear.

I'm no fan of lists and just checking off critters like a trip to the grocery store. I like the uncertainty of hunting and just letting things happen as the opportunities present themselves.

I can honestly say I never thought I'd ever hunt things like musk ox, dall sheep, moose, sitka blacktails, mountain lions, coues deer, etc.

Having a desert sheep tag in hand is also something I never thought would happen...glad to say I was wrong.

#1 The bird that flushes in front of my dog on point today.
#2 My hunt tomorrow
#3 My hunt the day after that.
etc., etc., etc.

In no particular order at some stage it would be neat to leave boot prints on trails in the following locations with rifle in hand:

#1: Cameroon for bongo and small forest duikers. (Had an opportunity to go many years ago to do a forest hunt and turned it down and its the one hunt i have regretted not pulling out all stops to go on.)
#2: Mountains in Aisa for sheep and ibex will be surreal and hopefully doable down the track. Hard but not impossible for a bloke who likes to do things self guided.
#3: Alaska or the Yukon into the big country for moose, sheep etc..
#4: Northern Russia for a hunt with mates for the big bears, sheep and moose that i keep getting sent pictures of.
#5: Having two young boys under 5 years of age, i would almost give everything away to see them grow up with an interest and desire to explore and hunt in wild places with their father. Time will tell how that shapes up but they will be given every opportunity...

Last edited:
#1. Bull elk - they are my unicorn
#2. Coastal brown bear
#3. Stone Sheep - IMO, the prettiest of them
#4. Mountain Lion
#5. Markhor

my list comes down to places I'd like to hunt not animal size
1-Alaska=booked for caribou this year,moose in 2015
2-Arizona coues deer,elk
3-Oregon for blacktails
4-Anywhere I can pull out a sheep or mt. goat tag
5-Maine moose hunt

So how are these bucket list hunts going? I assume most if you have hopeffully at least had a shot at something on your bucket list!!

My number one is a Red Stag someday, then its pretty much a tie for second between sheep, grizzly, wolf and mountain goat.

This is an interesting one. I feel like my hunting goals are more about the places and the people than anything else. Right now, I am primarily focused on getting in as much hunting as possible with my Dad.

I do have a couple things I would like to accomplish

1. DIY Alaska - Moose or Caribou (maybe both)
2. Mountain Goat in MT, ID, CO, WY (my dad has had one hanging in the house since I was a kid)
3. Nice Bull Elk 320+
4. Hunt Africa (would include a Cape Buffalo)
5. Hunt CO highcountry muleys with a bow.

As for how I am progressing on my hunting goals. Had I responded to this a year ago, a spot and stalk spring bear would have been near the top of the list, but I have since crossed that one off. I had one of the most memorable hunts of my life this spring with a bunch of great HT'ers. Made some great friends, and it didn't hurt that we killed some serious bears. One of which might have been a bruiser chocolate boar, whose meat we have been enjoying since, and the rug will soon be gracing the wall at my house.

When my teenagers were at home my goals were to hunt as much as possible as a family, knowing that an empty nest was looming.
When the empty nest came in 2010 my bucket list started to come to life.
In 2011, 2012, and 2013 I hunted DIY in New Zealand. I got all the waterfowl species, tahr, chamois ( archery ) wallaby ( archery ) possums, goat ( archery )
In 2012 I got a 32" mouflon in Hawaii ( archery )
2014 I did a sea duck hunt in Adak Alaska. Sea ducks in AK was my oldest dream hunt since High School in the 70's.
I leave for Adak again in September for caribou.

My current bucket list: All DIY

30" Axis deer in Hawaii (archery) I've taken several axis but nothing big. Maybe in 2015
Big mature tahr in winter coat.....maybe in 2015
King Eider on St. Paul Island.......maybe in 2016
NZ Red Deer and eventually all 7 deer species in NZ
AZ strip......one day.....I have max points but that's no guarantee I'll live long enough to draw it.

Short list for now,

Any legal CO archery bull elk
150"+ Iowa whitetail for the first time in my life. They ain't behind every tree like other shows portray Iowa as.

After that,
Any trophy bull elk
Any sheep species, rifle
Any legal archery bull moose
Boatload of peacock bass in the Amazon!

1. Desert Bighorn
2. 350+ Elk
3. 75+ Pronghorn (hopefully next year)
4. 175+ Muley
5. Merriams Turkey

Someday I would like to take a river trip in the Far North after caribou, moose and whatever comes along downstream. Maybe Dall sheep too, if such a place exists. I've been fishing to Alaska a few times, but never hunted there.

Back