Caribou Gear Tarp

The Brits return to Montana.

devon deer

We arrived (my English friend Stephen travelled with me) in Bozeman after making the long journey from the UK, this being my third time hunting in Big Sky country, it was Stephen’s first experience, I had talked it up for quite a while, but arriving late on the 20th October he just couldn’t see the mountains from the plane, so had no idea of his stunning surroundings.

Up early on Friday, quick breakfast with a Montanan friend, a little chat, and then we dropped by to meet Big Fin, who very kindly loaned us some equipment that we couldn’t bring over from the UK, by the way, after 6 days we still had ice in the Orion coolers!

I had been planning this for a while, but you just can’t rely on the weather can you? It was so warm, not ideal for hunting was it? But you have to work with what nature throws at you, at least Stephen got to see what I was telling him about for so long, the rivers, mountains and friendly like minded hunters.

We drove to a rifle range at Dillon to assemble our rifles and check zero before the drive to our Elk hunt, but this is where it could have gone badly wrong, on arrival there were 2 groups of people, we happened to join in with a local group and members of the rifle club, the other group were a mix that included a Canadian. I asked a member what the procedure was, he said when everyone has fired and cleared their gun’s we all approach, fix our targets, and when ALL are back in the safety zone he gives the all clear to commence firing. I was a little longer attaching my target as I only had tape and not a staple gun, as I stood up to return I heard a rifle boom, I was not unduly concerned as there was another target at right angles so I assumed that was the target, how wrong was I!
I noticed a little excitement and was informed that the Canadian had fired at the 50 yard target, I was in front of the 100 yard target! The member checked me over as he was convinced I had been shot, at this point I realised just how lucky I had been, in fact my hand’s started to actually tremble! For some strange reason the Canadian wouldn’t come to explain his actions or apologize, his friend did so on his behalf, and then they hastily left, only to be stopped on the outskirts of Dillon by a deputy sheriff, who had been phoned by the club member, when the deputy arrived at the range he stated the Canadian’s excuse was that I was behind the target and he couldn’t see me, I hope he learned a lesson over this, ringing in my ears was what my wife said when I left home, beware of the bears, how was I to know the danger was to come from a fellow hunter!
Sorry for the digression but this part had to be told, here is a photo of the range, thankfully the targets are offset; otherwise I think I would have been dead.

We arrived at the trail head later than planned after this event, but were up and hiking early into the dark hills, a little puffed out with adjusting to the altitude we finally made it to where I hoped we would get a bull, and after 20 minutes of legal light we heard the first boom, I scanned the valley and found around 10 Elk, all heading our way, but all cow’s and spikes, darn it!

Click for video

By this time Stephen was tuned into what an Elk actually looked like, and diverted my attention to another group, damn it, all cow’s and spikes, only around 150 yards away, we could have taken a cow where we were but no way, this was the first 2 hours of a 2 week stay!

Long story short we hung around here for 3 days, hoping after the outfitters left the Elk would return, but after 10 hours per day and lots of walking we decided to head back to Dillon and try our luck there. By the way, I now officially hate camping in little ‘pup’ tents, it sucks!

Dillon was a challenge, thank god for the ONXMAPS! We lost count how many deer we saw on private lands, but on public they were a rare sight indeed, it soon became apparent, this was going to be even harder than the previous few days. We were waiting on the first evening for the deer to emerge from the willows, Stephen intently watching in one direction, but my attention was drawn to the mountains. I remember what everybody had said about Elk, think of the steepest nastiest most inaccessible terrain and you will find Elk. So I trained my bino’s on a small patch of open timber way up a mountain, must have been at least 2 miles away, and a light coloured boulder moved position, my 56 year old eyes must be deceiving me! Nope, using Stephens’s scope on 25x mag I could see a really nice Bull, a plan was quickly formulated for the next morning!

Stephen kindly said it’s my bull, go get it, easier said than done with private land in the way, but I set off, bumped some Mule deer, and an easy shot on a small buck, but I was focused on the bull. Well after 3 hours hiking I came across an obstacle, it was called a cliff! To get around it would have meant at least another 3 hour hike to circumvent the private, not an option, so I returned the next day via another route, but no sign of the bull, but I could smell the Elk!

Click for video of cliff!

However, we have no complaints, I’m sure you all appreciate where you live, but to me it so beautiful it takes your breath away, I wasn’t concerned about grassing an Elk or deer, I just love the experience, but I wanted Stephen to get an animal, so that is part one finished, sorry it took so long with no result so far, and was such a long winded story…part 2 to follow.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Wow, that close call at the range was even worse than OURS! Glad you didn't pick up any extra holes. The pup tent issue made me laugh! Now to wait for the story to continue. Anxiously.

That guy was probably afraid of getting a well deserved punch to the nose. Hopefully part two is less scary but still exciting.

Sorry your trip started with such a scare. Glad that the range member called the sherrif and the offending gentleman didn't just drive away thinking what he did was no big deal. Sad to see that the guy wasn't man enough to come over and apologize to you in person. Enjoying your presentation and pictures so far. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

Looking forward to the rest of the story! I've had a situation like yours happen to me. It'll get one's attention...

So glad you're ok and the situation at the range wasn't deadly. Sounds like a great hunt. Looking forward to part 2.

I find it suspect that a Canadian wasn't willing to apologize. They're always apologizing about stuff. :) Glad you made it home without getting shot! Saw a photo on facebook, so I'm certainly looking forward to the rest of the story.

We have used a range in Cortez, Co numerous times before hitting the hills. Your story makes me appreciate the fail-safes they and my home range implore.

Last edited:
Still suffering a bit of jet lag, so a little impatient waiting for videos/pics to load up, but here is part 2.

We decided to leave Dillon and head off to an area I have been to before, but I was fishing at the time, not hunting, but I remember from 2008, this area must hold some Elk/Deer.
On arrival we did a little drive along Rock Creek, within 5 minutes I couldn’t believe our luck, a cow moose with 2 calves right by the road, an amazing sight for a UK visitor.
But it didn’t stop there, shortly after my sharp eyed buddy noticed some sheep on the hill side, and the valley echoed whilst we were there of the rams clashing heads, just like rifle shots, that must hurt!

But back to the hunt, as we worked our way up into the heavy timber we noticed some lucky guys with a bull Elk in camp and a deer hanging in the shade, things were looking good, but perhaps we had arrived late?
We decided to split up again, my buddy went right, I carried on for about a mile until the timber opened up, it was here I decided to rest my legs, I ranged all the distances and settled in for the evening, after about 30 minutes of wondering what I was missing in the next valley I decided to just stretch my legs, whoops, a mistake on my part, a Whitetail doe raced across the clearing, into an area partly obscured by small tree’s, but following close behind was a nice buck, I ran 25 yards, lay down, and the buck decided he would stop and look back from a narrow gap at 176 yards, within a split second the 30-06 180 grain Nosler Partition was on its way, I knew it was a solid hit from the thud and reaction to the shot as it disappeared into the timber, I think I should have posted this picture in the thread ‘as they lay’, my tag was notched on the deer!

The next day the search continued for a deer for Stephen, and/or Elk, and we got really excited when we heard bugling and could hear cows nearby, I saw the tips of a bull, 30 yards away, 2 on one side, 3 on the other, as it slowly revealed itself on the hill top (no safe shot in any case) the adrenalin was pumping, but sadly it had no brow tines, in any event the cows nailed us and the Elk hunt was over.
We were running out of time, and our thoughts began to drift towards the fly fishing, but after some advice from a biologist, and the local forest service office we changed areas, this was our last afternoon to get my buddy his deer, we came across around 100+ deer on private, and began to think it wasn’t going to happen, until 2 hunters revealed themselves on some BLM, a cracking Mule deer buck was within their range, but for some reason they left it, and also the does, etiquette dictated we would leave them to it and we just observed from a distance, until they gave up and gave us a little wave (not the single finger wave!) so we moved on until I observed a herd of 7 mule deer heading from BLM towards private and a house. I ‘encouraged’ Stephen to ‘run!’ ‘There is a buck amongst the does!’
To complicate things there was a herd of Antelope between us and the deer, but throwing caution to the wind we went for it, I gambled that the deer had never seen an arm waving crazy English man (me) ‘barking’ at them to stop, the does took the hint and turned back, followed by the amorous buck. Now, having experienced the unpleasant feeling of having encountered the prickly pear cactus on a previous visit, I felt it necessary to warn Stephen about this little problem, unfortunately for him he forgot about it and went prone and nailed the buck at 275 yards through the bottom lung/high heart.

However, as we started to drag the deer across the BLM I noticed a truck leave the house, pull up behind our rental vehicle, look in our direction, return to his truck, pull up to within a couple of inches of the tail gate and get out, I double checked the GPS, nope we were on BLM, I wondered what is problem was, then it occurred to me perhaps he thought we had shot an Antelope, that must have been it as we neared the road he took off.

Job done, taken to the wire, 19 minutes of light left, no Elk this time but what a superb adventure in true ‘on your own hunting on public land’

Next day we delivered the deer to the food bank which was gratefully received.
I’m not 100% sure I will return, but I have converted my buddy, he wants to fish next year and hunt the following year, by that time I might have convinced myself (and the wife) I need to return!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
That's a nice buck, Richard! Congrats to BOTH of you for scoring so far from home. Get some sleep!

Thanks for the write up of your adventures. I really enjoyed reading them. I got hassled by a "local" when I was up in NE WY antelope hunting. He was making up all kinds of stories from, "real snakey today, better watch out" to "watch out for them bull buffalo over the next ridge, wouldn't want to get caught in the open."

Good on you for having a GPS and knowing exactly where you were.

After the incident at the range I'm glad the hunt went a bit better. If you guys come back to hunt in a couple years, you will know the area a bit better so that will help your odds of getting a elk by leaps & bounds. Plus I think since you went through with this hunt from so far away, I think you will get even more help from forum members.
Next year buy points in Wyoming and in a couple years you can do a combo deer & antelope hunt. I just got done with the combo and can't wait to go again

So glad that you were able to see some of the amazing animal species that Montana has to offer. Moose and Bighorn sheep are impressive and to see them up close and in the wild is a treat that many visitors to the Rockies are not able to do. That Whitetail is a nice trophy for sure. Looks like you and Stephen had a great time. Wish I could have met you guys over in Salmon, but it looks like you had plenty to keep you busy. Were you able to take your Whitetail head back to England? It is a little smaller than trying to transport a bull elk rack. Great to hear you were able to share the meat with a food bank. Hopefully, you were able to have at least a couple of venison steaks from your buck. Congrats on a great trip.

After the incident at the range I'm glad the hunt went a bit better. If you guys come back to hunt in a couple years, you will know the area a bit better so that will help your odds of getting a elk by leaps & bounds. Plus I think since you went through with this hunt from so far away, I think you will get even more help from forum members.
Next year buy points in Wyoming and in a couple years you can do a combo deer & antelope hunt. I just got done with the combo and can't wait to go again
Yep, pretty sure i know where to find elk if there is a another visit, but you read my mind, another forum member spoke to me about Wyoming, that could be an option.

So glad that you were able to see some of the amazing animal species that Montana has to offer. Moose and Bighorn sheep are impressive and to see them up close and in the wild is a treat that many visitors to the Rockies are not able to do. That Whitetail is a nice trophy for sure. Looks like you and Stephen had a great time. Wish I could have met you guys over in Salmon, but it looks like you had plenty to keep you busy. Were you able to take your Whitetail head back to England? It is a little smaller than trying to transport a bull elk rack. Great to hear you were able to share the meat with a food bank. Hopefully, you were able to have at least a couple of venison steaks from your buck. Congrats on a great trip.
Yes we were busy, full on for every single day, now wonder i was so knackered, upside is i lost a nice bit of weight!
The head is being prepared by a friend who will post it over.
We ate some of my buck, it was great, not strong tasting at all.

Cheers

Richard

Great recap of what sounds like an amazing trip! Glad you were able to have the opportunity to do this trip again.

PS- You'll be back... :D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back