The Bob '20 Elk / Wolf Hunt

My brother is doing this exact same thing right now. He is either 4 or 5 days in right now. I always wanted to do this with him but doesn't work out.

Good LUCK!

Agree on Seinfeld.

Rain is in the forecast for the pack in tomorrow. Up's the ante for the hunt and if I wait until Monday, it cuts too much time so 9 mile hump in the rain for sake of, "The Hunt".

My intent is to take my dog. Anyone hunt with your dog for big game? I've done casual hunts, fishing, backpack treks with him before and he's comfortable with rifle noise. He's confronted griz, black bear, and moose so I'm comfortable with his self managed actions with wildlife. He also sticks to my side very well.
My reasoning is company and a bit of forewarning security.
Weather can flip in the Bob quicker than quick - contemplating taking a very lightweight blanket... any type you pack for your dog?
This is an approx. 7 day event... any special tips? I've not done more than a 2 night trip with him.

Never hunted with a dog, but I'd assume he could curl up on your clothes or pack or even stuff sacks and be just fine. When I lived in AK, i took my dog to work with me everyday and he sat in the truck. We ventured out on our lunch breaks. But I never worried about him in there unless the temp dipped below -10 degrees F. I think if you are comfortable, he will be comfortable. No matter the weather.

Prelude:
Well... I'll start this of for those searching for the hero shot... none exist. No critters down... Howeved, for those entertained by chit chat, I had a joyful brief confrontation with a griz at about 11pm-12am Wednesday... wait, heh, that's today...

I'm early out, thanks to InReach - my daughter was not doing well yesterday.

I'm in the ER as I type - it's 12am. Life tossed a curve ball our way and we're awaiting further info for her status.

A bit of a brain break to ponder the flat out hell the trek into the Bob turned to be. I'm flat out mentally and physically exhausted.

I began Sunday morning.

So, to begin - yep... a double trailer behind that non electric cycle.

20200920_143110.jpg

A key factor to note: it's not raining in that pic.

20 minutes into an uphill ride or reality... pushing my cycle is better said... approx 7 mile route from my truck at the closed gate to my trailhead sled start point.

If you really want to dig, you may figure my route by my descriptions. Fine by me. It's not a secret spot nor anyone's honey hole, just a place I wanted to check and I have a passion for kicking my own ass... for the adventure.

I arrived along my ridge point with my targeted mountain range area about 1-2 miles out Monday late afternoon/evening. This was the focus area of my hunt. The sled, turned the worst setting with respect to Monday mud... I knew it though had I not hit one foot in front of the other, I would not have made the time frame.

At the trailhead Sunday late afternoon. Mind you, I pushed the cycle a good amount of the way. Had my dog hop in the trailer as I didn't want his pads turning soft from the stretch of full day in rain trek on red crushed rock road... before the long trail ahead.

20200920_163645.jpg

I set my tent and cut ample wood... turned the sled sideways in the tent and used it to dry my clothes, as best able.

The 7 mile cycle ride at an end, it was prepping time for the sled to drag the remainder, early Monday morning, 7am.

20200920_172221~2.jpg

From the trailhead ---> ridge ---> Mountain, it's only 10 miles. However the first portion is only approx 2-3 miles to my trail that veers off the main trail... then about 4 miles of switchback/uphill hell... basically from 4200' to 7000'.

This is the cruddy portion, I p/u a new pelican sled (Murdoch's ftw) with the poly runners, longer though about the same width... a tad more weight though great price for a much better sled for this and many other uses.

***Right the cruddy portion... the side trail that climbs

Oh, I forgot, the fun sled suction hell of mud... don't mind the griz tracks larger by umph size over the horse shoe prints... thats not the best part as I had a face off with the griz that made those tracks...

20200921_104841.jpg

Monday was late evening when saying g-night to my wife via InReach she shared my daughter was not doing well.

Medical. Off to the next step. I'll catch up later.

That is hard work, best of luck on your hunt, but more importantly a speedy recovery for your daughter, thats a very worrying time for you and your family.
Cheers
Richard

Not sure I like to suffer @Gerald Martin . However, if that comes with the option to get into the Bob w/o pack horses, it becomes a question each person with that interest contemplates. Proving to myself I can still do it factors into that equation as well and usually makes the "suffer" portion a challenge rather than a reasonable hunter's decision. I don't really know how to shut off the "challenge". It's what's kept me going through rehab, etc.

I dig the Bob and other Wilderness areas of this great country! It is the last best real wild country America holds. I'm not letting that slip away... Unfortunate, how life throws curve balls as I never once held my rifle for any intent to hunt during this trip.

Sequence of events:

News Saturday - 70% chance rain throughout the day. Opted to begin Sunday with 30% chance.

Sunday arrived 11am. No rain the drive to and pack complete - began cycle trek for the 7 mile route. 1/2 hour in, water was running down the gated road... Is what it is... Turn back? Not in me.

Arrived at the Trailhead destination with a flat kayak tire (used for the sled trailer). I was so drenched my briefs were soaked. Thankfully it wasn't cold outside. I've done the main trail a couple times in the past and there are no winner camp locations so... Opted to set camp at the T-Head and try to dry as much as possible and secure the cycle, cart, and other items no continuing on my sled adventure.

Monday 730 wake, break down camp and prep sled. Mud hell. Turn back? No. Main horse mass train routed trail... mud/horse dung hell! One foot in front of the other.
Arrive at my trail that climbs Bob Marshall's fortress walls. Not taken the trail before though was informed the trail to the ridge had been cleared recently. Trail is narrow. More so than the sled in some places. Good aspect, the trail is dry though late arrival to this point due to suction mud main trail.

Monday evening 3/4th up the switchback / uphill trail. Couple new trees down though clear trail otherwise. I pull the tarp for my sleeping bag, eat away from the sleep area, and crash out.

Tuesday morning 730 pack up - and reach the ridge. Set myself in the general area of a water source and set the wall tent and stove. Saw a good qty of pecker pole rounds, use a dry bag as a large water bag, set up my mess area and tree w/ pully setting for scent bags, and settle camp.

Mid Tuesday afternoon InReach alerts and my wife messaged our daughter (my step daughter / wife's adopted daughter) medical situation worsened... Rifle still strapped to my pack. Wife says to hold out. Though we all know that language. I can tell from text she's trying too hard - for my benefit. She commented my InReach map location as reached the ridge. The rest is gravy, hip pack hunting towards a certain Mountain and drainages along the other side of the ridge route.

Tuesday... I sat on a log and viewed the setting. Not really frustrated. It was more a reflection on the hump to reach the ridge and knowing myself... I better break down and make as much time as possible while mentally, I was still in the hiking game.

I hike down hill (amazing the difference! HAHAHA!) and reach the junction with the main trail around 1am. Wednesday morning. Felt I had more in me and continued as I was low on water and a small creek was about a mile along the main trail. Reach and the creek shriveled close to nil though enough running to refill two quarts. No place to set camp, I figure... F it, might as well slow go it, one foot front of the other.

Somehow, found my quality headlamp pre packing so, I had great light... for a change! Haha! As I'm taking a few steps and tugging the sled (trail dried a good amount though many wet puddles), Scout gives a low growl. I follow his focus up trail a good 75-100 yards and I catch glowing eyes... Wondered if it was a deer, cat, what? Then I heard it's guttural slow type of extended grunt and quickly realized it was a bear and likely the griz tracks earlier was a fair indicator.

Here's the interesting aspect and maybe member(s) with experience might shed some light on this (pun)... I dropped my light to shine short of it's eyes though on the trail in front of it. Figured blinding light may come across aggressive. Not sure what would have been better. (well all went good, so?) Scout stayed by my side and continued his low growl. I drew my gun and cross rest over my OC in the other hand. Then... it veered off the trail, uphill... would have preferred downside though not a choice I get to make - haha!

What to do... I watched scout more than anything. He was in tune and move between the upper side of the trail and I. I never had to say anything to him. It was pretty fantastic. I staged myself for about 15 minutes Scout's interest waned probably 5 minutes after the bear moved off the trail. It woke me the hell up and I managed to push through back to the trailhead about 430am. At that point... I taco'd inside my bag within the tarp and knocked out. Woke around 930am - ate a bunch of carb/protein - and wow! gummy packs were the ultimate winner for short bursts. I fixed the tire and was able to cycle a good amount back.

At one point, I laid down next to the cycle and passed out for a good 20 minutes, Heard scout give a low growl and cycle tires routing my way. I gent asked if I was alright, thought he came across a person who had a heart attack! haha!

Arrived at my truck and fell asleep on the ground. Received another InReach alert that woke me - said daughter was in the ER at KRH. Packed and off to KRH. This point is picked up in my prior thread.

I don't think I have done such an extensive workout... in my life. Surprisingly, I'm doing ok. Not bad - all things considered.

Made this video today. My internet sucks king kong's huevos (1.5-3Mbps dl) and it took 4 hours to load to YouTube. The quality does not keep up with the fast forwarding of my gopro though... still fun regardless.
@Elkoholic I made sure to add a portion of the video in *honor of my balancing maneuvers. Haha!

Cheers all!

Last edited:
You are way tougher than me if you’re willing to drag a sled uphill without snow. Hope your daughter is doing better and you can get back into the Bob!

I wish your daughter a quick recovery.

That last video wore me out! The next time you try that hunt, will you still use the sled in the wilderness or will you pack lighter so all you have on the trail is what is in your pack? I realize that the main reason for the sled was likely to minimize trips back and forth to the trailhead with meat, but...

Sytes,,,,First, thoughts and prayers for your daughter. I hope that all turns out well and she is out of the hospital soon.

Second, watching the sled pull was brutal! Made my body shutter with fatigue and false pain....and that was due to just viewing your vid. You sir are a tough S.O.B. and I can appreciate testing yourself and accomplishing life goals. With that, there are better ways! While I have solo packed out critters many times, I can't even imagine sledding out a bull plus gear that distance...holy cow, OUCH!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back