The Bob '20 Elk / Wolf Hunt

Sytes

So the time has come... My partner is out of action with medical challenges.
Planned 4N/5D hunt, with spare day/night on either side if needed.
I was on the fence whether I would be ready as I came down with sciatica in my left leg beginning of August. It sucks! This compounded with my prior injury plays a bit into the muscle secondary identification for balance, etc though I've been in a pretty rigid rehab PT program and I feel I'm ready... My wife? well - she's tolerant of my bullish attitude for rehab though not so much for the solo aspect. My only saving grace is my InReach… and my life insurance policy :ROFLMAO:
*side note: Drop off a box of fresh donuts w/ Two Bear Air on my way...

Anyhow, I'm my own mule... I have my jet sled ready with 2" flat webbing cross chest strap and my weight set for the pack. I'm bringing my DIY crafted 12# 9x10 tent and seek outside large titanium stove. I was in there when the weather flipped on a dime from too hot to rain, sleet, hail, and snow and soaked clothing would have been nice to dry out. This weight will be set in the sled along with my food bag.
Contemplating my pack choice...
Alps Game pack vs Summit Badlands. Badlands is more a backpacker designed pack. Nice and light for very large capacity and rides extremely nice though no real meat hauling intent behind it's design. The other, Alps game pack, is not near as comfy though has the meat shelf and reasonable pack space...
I'm bringing a couple battery backups to record and photo as much as possible.

4 days and counting.

Good luck and looking forward to the trip report! The Bob is on our list for s backpacking trip in the next couple years.

I'm hoping to get to the 'goats for a backcountry hunt the following week. I'm not ballsy enough to do it solo though. Good luck! Looking forward to updates.

Good luck Charles! I admire your determination! I'm really pulling for you to bag your nemesis... Wolf 🐺!
Stay safe, take it slow, don't be having any face plant repeats!!!
Wish I could tag along!

Stay safe, take it slow, don't be having any face plant repeats!!!

Pssh… My tumbles down hill were skilled tactical rolls that cut time out of my hike. My route across the old cut face plant didn't happen... nope. Didn't happen 🤫 . Hoping my rabbit/deer mojo will rub off on some elk.

Thanks all for the comments. It's pretty amazing, HT members are all that and more. I've had two PM's offering to assist game pack out / etc in the event. As I shared in one PM;

...if you get something down over this coming weekend, I will be traveling through XXXXX if you need help getting it out. I would offer using our XXXXXXX but she doesn’t have shoes currently. But I can pack quarters. Good luck...
Really appreciate the offer. I have a rough attitude towards myself that if I'm going in - I better suck it up and check my pack time frames and weather conditions for the shot / meat, etc.

Again, feels good to know of your offer. I'll keep your # - never know what curve balls may be thrown. Thanks again!

It's about as good as it gets. Thanks all and a big thanks to the offers as well!

Side note: My base is about 8-10 miles. Always, no matter what it seems... always hellofa lot of switchbacks to get into the Bob fortress. haha! I called the district and checked for trail maintenance, etc.

So the time has come... My partner is out of action with medical challenges.
Planned 4N/5D hunt, with spare day/night on either side if needed.
I was on the fence whether I would be ready as I came down with sciatica in my left leg beginning of August. It sucks! This compounded with my prior injury plays a bit into the muscle secondary identification for balance, etc though I've been in a pretty rigid rehab PT program and I feel I'm ready... My wife? well - she's tolerant of my bullish attitude for rehab though not so much for the solo aspect. My only saving grace is my InReach… and my life insurance policy :ROFLMAO:
*side note: Drop off a box of fresh donuts w/ Two Bear Air on my way...

Anyhow, I'm my own mule... I have my jet sled ready with 2" flat webbing cross chest strap and my weight set for the pack. I'm bringing my DIY crafted 12# 9x10 tent and seek outside large titanium stove. I was in there when the weather flipped on a dime from too hot to rain, sleet, hail, and snow and soaked clothing would have been nice to dry out. This weight will be set in the sled along with my food bag.
Contemplating my pack choice...
Alps Game pack vs Summit Badlands. Badlands is more a backpacker designed pack. Nice and light for very large capacity and rides extremely nice though no real meat hauling intent behind it's design. The other, Alps game pack, is not near as comfy though has the meat shelf and reasonable pack space...
I'm bringing a couple battery backups to record and photo as much as possible.

4 days and counting.

If this was next year I'd volunteer to be your mule. Best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back